The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why I'm joining the Autosleeper Owners

+2
CC
BML
6 posters

Go down

Why I'm joining the Autosleeper Owners Empty Why I'm joining the Autosleeper Owners

Post by BML Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:17 pm

I started caravanning 50 years ago or so then moved to motor caravans owning elderly Glendale’s, an Autotrail Apaches and a Hymer then I/we moved to a static and now I/we want to move back into motor caravanning and we fancy an Autotrail motor caravan the one with the snout.
I slipped up once buying a motor home that was over weight before it left the factory and I have had under powered motor homes and I want to avoid those mistakes so I have a few questions. I would prefer to pay no more than £15,000 and also to buy privately.
I recognise that I will be able to get better answers here than anywhere else.
1. Is there one base vehicle that is more valued than others?
2. Is there a twin rear wheel base vehicle?
3. What is the most valued engine size?
4. Is it possible to source floor plans of these motor homes?
5. A very cheeky question. Would it be possible to visit one of your rallies to chat to forum members about their vehicles?
BML
BML

Male

Member Age : 87
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa

Back to top Go down

Why I'm joining the Autosleeper Owners Empty Re: Why I'm joining the Autosleeper Owners

Post by CC Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:32 am

Hello & welcome to the forum BML up!

Firstly I should say incase there is any confusion this forum "The autosleeper owners forum" (ASOF) is independant, and not connected to the "The auto-sleeper owners club" (ASOC). The forum is also relatively new and has only been going for just over 2 months.

Your budget of £15.000 is on the low side for an Autosleeper, (they do hold their price) but you could pick up an early van conversion like a Duetto / Trident / Symphony or a Monocoque like the Clubman / Legend / Talisman etc, other members here may have better recomendations but on that budget you are restricted to a smaller / older vehicle.

A few places to start looking would be ebay & also here Preloved Autosleepers

I'm sure one or two members would be happy to show you their vehicles, we havnt organised any rallies yet being a fairly new group but this could well happen in the future if enough members are interested. It may be worth joining the autosleeper owners club where you may be able to attend one of their rallies (quite a few of us here are members of ASOC also) so you could view a few vehicles to see what takes your fancy, otherwise I would go to a used motorhome dealer and check out a few models, but again on your budget of 15k most forecourt / dealer sales are higher than this so private buys are going to be more within your budget.

Hope this helps a little with your questions, hopefully other members will offer you their thoughts also up!

CC

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Why I'm joining the Autosleeper Owners Empty Re: Why I'm joining the Autosleeper Owners

Post by Admin Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:38 am

Hello BML Welcome to

Site Admin
Site Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dago Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:57 pm

Hi BML & Welcome.
It might be useful to tell us your location. Town or County will do, it doesn't have to be more precise than that.
There may well be owners close by that would be willing to show you their vans and offer helpful advise.

Dago ( in very sunny Eastbourne).
hugegrins

Dago
Dago
Super Donator & ASOF Supporter
Super Donator & ASOF Supporter

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : 2007 Executive
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:54 pm

Dago wrote:Oops,

Sorry about the double posting. Too much sun, definately not too much wine yet though shrugg

No problem Peter, sorted hugegrins

Site Admin
Site Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by john simm Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:58 pm

Hello BML & Welcome

John & Jean wave
john simm
john simm

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst

Back to top Go down

Post by BML Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:17 pm

Thank you all very much for the information. The 1997 VW Autoleeper Clubman GL 2.4 diesel in Northern Ireland looks good. I am building a list of vehicles with their registration date and price that I like the look of before deciding on a short list. I was suprised to find that when I wanted to follow one of the Preloved vehicles up they asked for a fiver.
BML
BML

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BML Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:37 pm

I am drawing up a list of Auto Sleeper models and can't find the 1997 VW Autoleeper Clubman GL 2.4 diesel in Northern Ireland that was in this thread.
BML
BML

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:50 pm

The post you are looking for BML is in the other section you posted in here: https://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t346-what-to-buy

It was Stevomar who posted the ebay link.

A tip for finding posts is to use the "search funtion", then click on "advanced search", then search your name ie BML under "search by author" and you will see all posts that you have submitted.

By the way I tried to send you a PM but you have this feature disabled?

CC

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by BML Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:42 am

Many thanks for the information. I have rectified the PM thing. I'm enjoying collecting information from the Preloved facility and when I have centered in on the model I fancy I need to firm up on the question of weight because I did once buy a motor home that was over weight before I filled the water tank. However, I have to try to remember the formula like what weight one starts with etc.
BML
BML

Male

Back to top Go down

Why I'm joining the Autosleeper Owners Empty Re why I'm joining Autosleeper owners

Post by Gatcombeman Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:25 pm

Welcome BML to the forum from sunny Somerset ☀

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : VW Gatcombe

Back to top Go down

Post by BML Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:34 pm

Somerset indeed, well my wife and I have been spending a fair bit of time there having started to go to Blue Anchor nearly fifty years ago first with a caravan, then a motorhome and eventually with a static. Having become fedup with the one sided relationship between holiday caravan site owners and those such as us who own a holiday caravan we are selling ours and going back to a motor home although we will still be visiting Somerset.
BML
BML

Male

Back to top Go down