The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stains on roof and bodywork

2 posters

Go down

Stains on roof and bodywork Empty Stains on roof and bodywork

Post by Peter Fryer Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:19 pm

I climbed up the ladder to clean the motorhome roof (Devon), but found the situation worse than ever before. The leaves from a nearby lime tree seem to have exuded more "dye" than ever before and after recent rain, there are stains running down the length of the back of the van. Fenwick's Motorhome cleaner has no effect, not does Mer. Can anyone suggest a remedy? Would some sort of T-cut work? Might this damage the surface?
Peter Fryer
Peter Fryer

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Devon
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Stains on roof and bodywork Empty Re: Stains on roof and bodywork

Post by Paramedic Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:38 pm

Hello and welcome to this most friendly and informative forum. We are currently in the process of exterior cleaning of the van.Yesterday cleaned the roof with 'Rhino Goo' which more easily removed a year's algae and performed much better cleaning off what I describe as mottled light grey water stains surrounding the roof vents. Overall the roof was left with a slight shine. All this IMO, was a vast improvement to Fenwick's cleaner that I had used in previous years. Any stubborn marks can be removed with 'Silky' non abrasive cream cleaner. 'Rhino Goo' 5 litres £25 from Amazon, Silky about £5 from any caravan accessory shop.

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Fryer Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:13 pm

Many thanks. I have not heard of either of the products you mention. We have owned vans for many years (Autosleepers for twelve years) and this is the first time that we have seen brown streaks down the back of the van, coming from the lime tree leaves that gathered on the roof. I have tried parking the van a little further from the tree, but then the local bird population rewards our efforts to feed them with their predictable response!
Peter Fryer
Peter Fryer

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Devon
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:21 pm

Yes the 'Rhino Goo' was a most recent discovery on Amazon. The cleaning qualities interested me and the price for 5 litres (quite expensive) compared to other brands suggested it performed well which fortunately it did so most pleased. Silky is not detrimental to the gel coat and works well to remove more stubborn marks/stains. Regards.

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down