The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Soap dispenser

+11
Marshman
Slow-Lane
FreelanderUK
modelman
Relaxez-Vous
Mike187
Paulmold
Taurian
bikeralw
Gromit
rogerblack
15 posters

Go down

Soap dispenser Empty Soap dispenser

Post by rogerblack Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:42 am

Do any of you have this type of soap dispenser and if so does it leak?

Soap dispenser Dispen11

It's a Marplast lineacqualba 605 soap dispenser.

Ours leaks, I've tried stripping it down, replacing the O ring, even gluing the bottom back together as the retaining clip was loose but it still dribbles away. I've even tried using thicker liquid soap!

I assume it was original equipment fitted by AS as they list it as a spare for £30 + VAT + carr, which I don't mind paying IF the replacement doesn't leak, but if it's a design flaw than I wouldn't be happy. I can buy a similar device from the Fiamma range for around half that price but it looks a bit tackier and also I don't know if the mounting holes would be the same, whereas if I go for the original then I could even just clip it onto the existing base. 

Anyone else had good or bad experience with these or the Fiamma?

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Soap dispenser Empty Re: Soap dispenser

Post by Gromit Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:14 pm

Tried several Roger, and none of them was much use.

I'm not sure if ours actually leaked, or whether there was a drop left hanging every time it was used. Then after a little while the drop dripped (as it were) and you have a mess underneath.

We gave up in the end, and just use an ordinary supermarket hand dispenser (which can't leak as such) - which sits over a folded paper towel!!

I think they will all drip a bit, unless you remember to give the spout a wipe after use . . . but who is going to do that!!

I think this image shows the problem perfectly, although that's obviously not the intention!!

Soap dispenser 61CNMYf039L._AC_UL320_
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:27 pm

We still have the original as in the picture, but does it leak? Well, yes and no..
It depends on the consistency of the liquid soap you fill it with.
Thin cheap runny stuff that has the consistency of Fairy Liquid does indeed leak out and drip, whereas the more expensive viscous liquid that almost has to be cajoled out of the refill container with a stick doesn't leak at all.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Paulmold likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Taurian Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:45 pm

I agree with Al - use a thicker liquid and you will probably only get the occasional single drip.  That's been my experience anyway.
Taurian
Taurian

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman Anniversary
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:51 pm

Same as Al. I thought it was a Fiamma, well mine is ....

https://images.app.goo.gl/xPL4QapofEmH7aYD8

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike187 Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:56 pm

We have the Fiamma soap dispenser and use Sainsbury’s equivalent of the blue Carex hand gel as you can get it in refill bottles, it is of the thicker consistency and does not leak. 

Mike

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:37 pm

Hi all - many thanks for the great feedback.

Ours does more than drip, we end up over time with a line of gunge running over the ledge and down the wall. And that applies even with a VERY thick, viscous liquid.

I've just taken the screws out of the bracket and I guess AS must have also glued it or used adhesive tape as it's stuck firm; there's no way I'll get that off easily without leaving any marks and I can't find anything more than overall dimensions for the Fiamma one so can't be sure without actually buying one whether it would cover the same area of the wall.

I don't know whether that (ABS?) plastic wall section moulding has solid wood behind it all, it doesn't feel like it as the rest of the panel flexes, but the screws are definitely into wood so perhaps AS fitted a batten behind there for it to screw into? Bear in mind ours is a 2002 model when they were still doing things properly!

So I guess I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and order the same one from AS, assuming they have them still - they were shown in their 2020 parts list.

As the Pollensa sailed through the MOT this week, I guess she deserves a wee treat!  agree3

Last edited by rogerblack on Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:55 pm

Hi again Roger

A/S are likely to have used double sided tape, and at that time they were using some good stuff!!!!

Try easing a knife blade behind the dispenser at one corner, and twist. If you apply a reasonable pressure steadily over a period of a couple of minutes, you may find it gradually lets go.

Give it a good long blast with Mrs Roger's hair drier first. Heat softens the glue quite significantly.
Apologies if you are Grandma, and already know how to suck eggs!!  snigger

P.S. I bought some of that double sided tape from them when they changed to a different sort.
It sticks like you-know-what to a new blanket!!  rolleyes
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:40 pm

We had this liquid soap dispenser that came with our Duetto, and successfully it was too filled with Parmolive Naturals hand wash (also used for showering), I suppose it's quite thick in consistence. I was never aware of any leaks, I don't remember having to clean up any drips.

When we bought our Kemerton XL last year it didn't come with a liquid soap dispenser so I bought one from A-S parts. Not cheap, but then that's A-S Parts for you. I did consider buying the similar Fiamma dispenser but its got "Fiamma" in bigish red letters that I didn't want. I had done a search and found the name of the original but I didn't find anyone else in the UK selling them. I could have got one from Italy but the final cost was only a bit cheaper than getting it from A-S.

Having mounted one in our Kemerton XL last year, did I screw a mounting plate to the bathroom wall then slot down the dispenser? I don't remember there being any double sided tape.
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:03 pm

Thanks again for the tips.

Just spoken to AS Parts Dept and the last one of those shown on the 2020 Parts Brochure list has gone. They won't be getting any more as they don't fit them in any current models.

I also tracked down the Italian manufacturer which is how I got the full model details but can't find anywhere else currently selling them

I think that what I might try is to just keep using the existing dispenser but make up and fit something underneath to act as a drip catcher.  When the van isn't in use for any length of time I'll unclip the dispenser and empty it out. We'll see how that works out for now.
Thanks again for all the input, you're a great bunch. up!  

At least spending time on fairly trivial stuff like this takes our minds off the bigger problems faced at the moment.  rolleyes

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

bikeralw likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:36 pm

We too, have the same & yes, ours leaks as well, BUT, only used the 'normal' stuff, so it stays cleaned & empty, we keep a press-bottle gel in the bathroom.
However, reading the comments above, I will buy some thicker stuff & give it a try.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:17 pm

Well, the saga continues!    winks

I dropped a quick email to the manufacturer in Italy asking if there was any way of ordering one of these, preferably in the UK. I received a very prompt reply with a link to their website in Italy where I could order one, priced in pound sterling (but the credit card will be debited in Euro). The base price was around half of what AS had listed it for but shipping was obviously considerably more, meaning the total cost will come out about the same.

Luckily I checked their website carefully as the one I had originally selected from the pictures was identical but larger (0.25l rather than 0.17l) so the mounting bracket would likely have been different - that could have been an expensive mistake.  confused0

Fingers crossed I've got it right and it arrives safely. And doesn't leak!   yawning  snigger

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Taurian Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:44 pm

We wait with bated breath for the next instalment in your saga !!
Taurian
Taurian

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman Anniversary

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:07 pm

Well I've just been out to check ours (my wife thinks I'm going stir crazy!), and not one drip since it's last use over two weeks ago..
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:09 pm

I fitted this to the bathroom in the van and we have the same in the house ,no leaks at all ,recommended 

Soap dispenser 319abe10

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Slow-Lane Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:09 pm

rogerblack wrote:Ours does more than drip, we end up over time with a line of gunge running over the ledge and down the wall. And that applies even with a VERY thick, viscous liquid.

I've just taken the screws out of the bracket and I guess AS must have also glued it or used adhesive tape as it's stuck firm; there's no way I'll get that off easily without leaving any marks and I can't find anything more than overall dimensions for the Fiamma one so can't be sure without actually buying one whether it would cover the same area of the wall.

I don't know whether that (ABS?) plastic wall section moulding has solid wood behind it all, it doesn't feel like it as the rest of the panel flexes, but the screws are definitely into wood so perhaps AS fitted a batten behind there for it to screw into? Bear in mind ours is a 2002 model when they were still doing things properly!

Ours (2006 Pollensa) leaks even with fairly viscous liquid inside. It's not just a drip left over from the last use, over time it makes a mess on the sink below. I decided to clean it out and leave it empty (display purposes only) while using a supermarket bottle of hand wash.

FYI the dispenser bracket is screwed and glued to the plastic mirror wall, I decided not to try and remove it as it would make a mess of the plastic wall. Incidentally, on our Pollensa that wall does have solid wood behind it. The soap container screws go into the side of the wardrobe wall. To remove the plastic panel you need to remove the four mirror mounting screws, behind the mirror there are two more screws to remove, plus several screws with white pop caps along the top (you need to take the screws out of the shower curtain rail first to gain access). There are three more capped screws along the bottom, just above the sink and the plastic panel can be removed. Ours was stuck to the wardrobe wall, but popped off without difficulty.  I know all this because I had to remove ours to get the washroom sink out.  

Should you decide to replace the plastic wall panel I found a firm that makes them in glass fibre: 
https://caravanpanels.com/cps-mis-005-bathroom-mirror-wall-panel-3100-p.asp

A bit pricey as a solution for getting rid of a leaking soap dispenser!
Slow-Lane
Slow-Lane
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Soap dispenser Empty Soap dispenser

Post by Marshman Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:12 pm

We've never had a leak problem because we put aside the lid and stand our electric tooth brush and small toothpaste tube in it and have used it this way for many years. We have a small standard liquid soap in the shower 'room' cupboard which can be removed over winter and avoids much cleaning out of the dispenser. wave
Marshman
Marshman

Male

Member Age : 85
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by adrianfo Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:23 pm

I bought this one 1n 2016, still works perfectly, no drips at all.
Soap Dispenser
adrianfo
adrianfo
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Legend 2.5L Transit
Vehicle Year : 2000 MK5

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:29 pm

We have had two Fiamma in two different vans over 15 years and they have never dripped.
Buying a nuevo and collecting it in March 21 and they don't seem to fit them any more so having one fitted (free) but listed at around £18.00.
Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo Ek
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:42 pm

There was a Fiamma dispenser fitted to our Rienza when we bought it. It never dripped but the plunger stuck last year. I tried to free it but it stuck again after a while. Considering it was likely to be as fitted on build I wasn’t too bothered about fitting a new one.
We use Lidl soap, the top up bottles for there pump bottles. It seems quite thick and available in different smells.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:20 am

Dave 418 wrote:There was a Fiamma dispenser fitted to our Rienza when we bought it. It never dripped but the plunger stuck last year. I tried to free it but it stuck again after a while. Considering it was likely to be as fitted on build I wasn’t too bothered about fitting a new one.
We use Lidl soap, the top up bottles for there pump bottles. It seems quite thick and available in different smells.
Yes we also have a Fiamma which does not drip but due to lack of use it jammed up. I gave it a good soak, no good so managed to take it apart and gave it a jolly good clean, all ok now.

Must add, in between getting around to fixing it, we also used a pump bottle and it was a good fall back, sits in bathroom cabinet, so next time Fiamma sticks its out. smile!
---------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo

Back to top Go down