The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

removing light cover to change bulb

+4
inspiredron
brodco
PLOUGHLIN
bonnie
8 posters

Go down

removing light cover to change bulb Empty removing light cover to change bulb

Post by bonnie Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:25 am

Good morning.
We have an Autosleeper Suffolk / Mercedes Sprinter.
We need to change a bulb in one of the ceiling lights.  (see photo)
We can't work out how to remove the circular white cover.  Have tried twisting it, but don't want to force it.
I can't find anything in the handbook.
Does anyone know how to do this?
Many thanks[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
bonnie
bonnie

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Suffolk
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

removing light cover to change bulb Empty Re: removing light cover to change bulb

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:21 am

The cover has three small tabs set at 120 deg around the perimeter, one at the switch position. Insert a small screwdriver to pop one out and the cover will drop out.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester

Back to top Go down

removing light cover to change bulb Empty Re: removing light cover to change bulb

Post by bonnie Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:54 pm

Hi
Thanks for that.  I've looked, and can't see or feel any tabs.  Is it just the white cover that comes out?
I'm guessing it must be, if the switch is attached to the wiring.  I really can't see anything to insert a screwdriver into.
bonnie
bonnie

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by bonnie Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:02 pm

Thanks, Peter.  My husband has managed to remove it.  I see now what you mean by tabs.  They aren't visible from outside.  Now we know.  Thank you
bonnie
bonnie

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by bonnie Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:18 pm

Next question!!
Is any four pin 9w/840 bulb of the correct size and shape suitable, as it is run off the 12v system, or is there a special type of bulb, or is there some sort of transformer in the wiring?
Thanks in advance for the help.
bonnie
bonnie

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:32 pm

Provided rated 12v, yes any should fit.

Here is the Lumo spec sheet for your Crown light. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:45 pm

Hi  wave

bonnie wrote:Is any four pin 9w/840 bulb of the correct size and shape suitable, as it is run off the 12v system, or is there a special type of bulb, or is there some sort of transformer in the wiring?

Fundamentally yes but just make sure that the base (layout of the pins) is the same.

No fluorescent lamp has a voltage associated with it. They all need a controller (for want of a better word) built into the fitting (mains or 12V) and it’s the controller that determines the working voltage.

If by any chance the new lamp doesn’t work it could well be the controller that’s faulty. shrugg

Brod
brodco
brodco
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 25, 2022 5:22 pm

If you didn't notice the protrusions with the lamp cover mounts, you should look at them.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Wed May 25, 2022 11:02 pm

Before you buy a new tube check with another one from a working light. I had two in my toilet compartment. When I swapped tubes it was the same fitting that didn't work. It was the electronics that had failed, not the tube. Luckily, after an argument, Lumo replaced the whole unit with an LED version. 
It's also worth checking that the switch is working properly. After 10 years the switch on one of our lights is temperamental. And also check the 12V supply.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Thu May 26, 2022 10:00 am

PLOUGHLIN wrote:Provided rated 12v, yes any should fit.

Here is the Lumo spec sheet for your Crown light.  http://lumo.eu.com/wp-content/uploads/2000-Series.pdf
Er... is that the correct link, please?  Seems to be for telecoms....

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Thu May 26, 2022 10:02 am

Sorry: inadvertent duplicate post was here.
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Thu May 26, 2022 12:42 pm

Cymro wrote:
PLOUGHLIN wrote:Provided rated 12v, yes any should fit.

Here is the Lumo spec sheet for your Crown light.  http://lumo.eu.com/wp-content/uploads/2000-Series.pdf
Er... is that the correct link, please?  Seems to be for telecoms....

Cymro

It was the correct link, when posted nearly 2 years ago. hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Cymro likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Fri May 27, 2022 10:46 pm

I'm glad this question was asked- the switch on the over-toilet light on our van is getting a bit hit and miss and I couldn't figure out how to remove the shade. I'm fairly sure ours is LED rather than tube or bulb.

Pete.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Stanton.
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 31, 2022 1:40 pm

I think you should pay attention to the bulb cover tabs if you haven't done so before. Any light bulb, car headlight and hand flashlight have protrusions on which the manufacturers attach a lamp cover. td {border: 1px solid [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.];}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by sisiniaasthma Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:31 pm

Guest wrote:I think you should pay attention to the bulb cover tabs if you haven't done so before. Any light bulb, car headlight and hand flashlight have protrusions on which the manufacturers attach a lamp cover.
This cover keeps the inside of the flashlight dry. The cover also protects the bulb from premature burnout from moisture.
sisiniaasthma
sisiniaasthma

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Mercedes Benz Autosl
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:45 pm

sisiniaasthma wrote:
Guest wrote:I think you should pay attention to the bulb cover tabs if you haven't done so before. Any light bulb, car headlight and hand flashlight have protrusions on which the manufacturers attach a lamp cover.
This cover keeps the inside of the flashlight dry. The cover also protects the bulb from premature burnout from moisture.

Thank you for your valuable contribution to this thread. It would not have occurred to me that a mere cover could achieve so much.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down