The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amazon Prime scam call

+7
MelB
groundhog
Bobskate
Askit
Roopert
Dbvwt
Paulmold
11 posters

Go down

Amazon Prime scam call Empty Amazon Prime scam call

Post by Paulmold Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:46 pm

I don't have Amazon Prime but so far today 3 automated calls telling me my renewal is due and to press 1 if I wish to cancel. I'd heard of the scam so I put the phone down and put the number in my blacklist on BT Call Protect. But all three calls have been from different numbers (2 looking like mobile numbers, the other showing as International but listed on Call Protect as another mobile).  Ruddy nuisance!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Amazon Prime scam call Empty Re: Amazon Prime scam call

Post by Dbvwt Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:18 pm

Unfortunately my friends mum had this Prime scam and hit the button to cancel. They kept her on the phone for ages on what I would imagine was premium phone charges.
Sadly, more than a ruddy nuisance in her case.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:21 pm

Same here - I get them in bursts. I'll usually get one every day for a week or so and then they will move on (or perhaps have been temporarily shut down).

I suspect that they are all initiated outside the UK (i.e. generated on an Internet-connected computer in India or similar, and "breaking out" onto the phone network somewhere in the UK) but I have no proof. Annoying, and pretty much impossible to stop, because as you say, the calling number changes on a regular basis...
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:22 pm

Paul, we get these all the time. The voices sound like computer generated ones, mostly female but at least once it was male. What I'm not sure, is it one source for the calls or a widespread con with different scammers?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobskate Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:42 pm

Get CallGuard on your phone. It intercepts every number not on your approved list and to get through the caller has to say who they are. You then have the option to reject (or indeed accept) the call. Stops all dodgy calls, especially if automated.
Bobskate
Bobskate
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:02 pm

I unplugged my home phone about 3 years ago as I realised that the only people calling it were cold callers, all my friends had already moved over to calling on the mobile due to the ‘unlimited call‘ contracts that are in abundance these days and I’ve surprisingly found having the mobile as my only phone not an issue at all.

Obviously I realise this doesn’t work for everyone including my parents so I bought them a BT nuisance call blocking phone about 2 years ago which just plugs into the phone socket.
I had my reservations because it was only about £35 but it stopped virtually all of the cold callers overnight.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

RogerThat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:19 pm

Landline phones will soon become as rare as phone boxes I reckon. We only keep ours for international calls now and question even that with internet options easily available
These pre recorded nuisance calls are just not cricket as I believe you say, means I can't wind the caller up with my usual insane approach to these things, takes all the fun away.
In all seriousness though, I reckon I am pretty switched on to these calls and would NEVER be caught out but I was nearly taken for a lot of money on one a while back. You cannot be too careful.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:24 pm

groundhog wrote:Landline phones will soon become as rare as phone boxes I reckon. We only keep ours for international calls now and question even that with internet options easily available
These pre recorded nuisance calls are just not cricket as I believe you say, means I can't wind the caller up with my usual insane approach to these things, takes all the fun away.
In all seriousness though, I reckon I am pretty switched on to these calls and would NEVER be caught out but I was nearly taken for a lot of money on one a while back. You cannot be too careful.

What!! Do you mean all my $#£* words are for nothing snigger

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MelB Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:24 pm

Paulmold wrote:I don't have Amazon Prime but so far today 3 automated calls telling me my renewal is due and to press 1 if I wish to cancel. I'd heard of the scam so I put the phone down and put the number in my blacklist on BT Call Protect. But all three calls have been from different numbers (2 looking like mobile numbers, the other showing as International but listed on Call Protect as another mobile).  Ruddy nuisance!
Thanks Paul for the information. This week I accidentally agreed [I think] to have Amazon Prime when I purchased a few items from Amazon. Once I became aware I had agreed to a contract with Prime I immediately cancelled it, on-line. Later I received an email from Amazon affirming the cancellation. I suspect I might now have a few automated bogus calls claiming to be Amazon Prime, but with your warning I will definitely not press 1.
MelB
MelB
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : KEMERTON
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:30 pm

I had a different recorded call purporting to be from Amazon. I was told my card was being debited with £399 In respect of my recent order which would be despatched within 24 hours. If I didn’t place the order I should press button 1 now.....

I’d placed no such order, no mention was made of what the goods were and I hung up. Amazon just don’t do that.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

RogerThat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:42 pm

I understand the scammers are after your bank details on the pretence of refunding money or they try to get remote access to your computer.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:49 pm

Yes, it’ll be something like that. They were out of luck.

I thought about it and remembered the number of times I’ve spotted my phone number on the address label of a parcel so the carrier could make contact if needed. I see that as a weak link.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:07 pm

I'm pretty sure that they have no inside knowledge - they just call whole numbering ranges at random. The calls cost nothing internationally (because they just tunnel them through the internet) with just the breakout onto the phone network here in the UK - which they probably don't pay for anyway in the end.

As you say, mine are all computer-generated (Amazaaan Prime) and are a mix of telling me my non-existent Amazon account is about to be suspended, or confirming the shipping of a non-existent purchase on my non-existent account. As with most other phone scams, the majority of calls are wasted but they don't care, as each call costs them (almost) nothing, once the computer scripts have been set up.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:59 pm

Hi,
We get them quite regularly, I don't have prime either, how can you press one when it's a message on your answerphone? lol
Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo Ek
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:38 am

And so it returns, 7 calls on Wednesday, 6 on Thursday, 7 on Friday, one on Saturday, none on Sunday and another already this morning. All the same recorded female voice about my "Amazon prime account" (that I don't have) and each came from a different mobile style number. I'm now not answering the phone to any caller and doing 1471 afterwards.

censored! nuisance fedup

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveUK Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:44 pm

Dbvwt wrote:Unfortunately my friends mum had this Prime scam and hit the button to cancel. They kept her on the phone for ages on what I would imagine was premium phone charges.
Sadly, more than a ruddy nuisance in her case.

Absolutely no chance that it was a "premium phone charge".  It was clearly an incoming call and you cannot be charged for that.
SteveUK
SteveUK
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:12 pm

Blimey, I posted that in August last year Steve! Good news, you are correct, she didn’t get charged smile!
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:37 pm

Our latest scam today was a call from a Newcastle number which my wife answered. The caller said he was from Openreach at which point she said - hold on, I'll get my husband. I said hello whereupon the caller hung up. I was able to return the call - to be greeted with "The number you have dialled is not recognised .....  The caller actually had a Northern accent, from what I could hear.
We get lots of Amazon Prime calls  Today my wife also had.a call on her mobile warning her of impending legal action and a court summons. Press 1 for further information ..... !

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down