The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Peugeot Boxer all models

+4
Caraman
fenderbender
Libraryman2
Phoboff
8 posters

Go down

Peugeot Boxer all models Empty Peugeot Boxer all models

Post by Phoboff Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:18 pm

I have just had two new replacement headlamps fitted to my 800miles run and brand new Broadway coach built. Supplied 11 October 2019.
The headlights cost of over £1600, thankfully a successful warranty claim. My vehicle was then locked into the AS factory from January until mid July having extensive remedial work done. On its return to me it has now run 1100miles and the new head lamps have condensation again!
On inspection, water cascades down the windscreen and into the scuttle and bonnet lid heater plenum chamber. The ineffective scuttle seal then directs the water all over the back of the headlights, the fuse box, the antilock brake modulator, the air cleaner and most seriously a totally unprotected grey electrical harness multipin connector plug. A puddle forms in the rigid body mounted  trumpet that picks up the drainage from the heater plenum in the bonnet lid. Peugeot has designed this so that this water is directed over the gear change linkage and shafts that exit the gearbox immediately underneath. As a consequence my new 69 reg Autosleeper Broadway is mess everything under the bonnet is rusty or furred up and the felt engine cover is a soggy mildewed green mess.
Yes I have cleaned all the accumulated debris out of the FIVE rubber drain tubes in the scuttle moulding. 
Frankly I am at my wits end. Coming on top of all the Sargent Electronics, Whale waterpump, and Truma burn out problems with this Camper I am so disillusioned with Motorhome life (Liability). Please help me.

What do other owners do? Is there a viable solution. 

If neglected owners of older vehicles tell me the above causes major problems viz:-
1 Seized gear change linkages which wreck the selector forks which break and drop into the differential. This totally wrecks the transmission!
2 The continually wet engine shield rusts the injectors seizing them in the cylinder head and scrapping the engine!
3 The water flowing down settles in the front chassis X member rusting it through within 5-6 years causing MOT corrosion failure and write off or extensive welding repairs.

I have been given a copy of MMM magazine by a friend highlighting and confirming these problems! It applies to FIATS as well. This is well known in the trade and amongst "enthusiasts". As he walked away he jauntily said . "You should never have bought it! get rid soonest! and buy a Merc or a VW". Not very helpful when you have just spent£63,000.
Phoboff
Phoboff

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Peugeot Boxer all models Empty Re: Peugeot Boxer all models

Post by Libraryman2 Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:28 pm

Sorry to hear about your problems....my boxer base is registered 2017..yes it’s earlier but I would assume the same.....mine only has three drain holes in the scuttle ...at least that’s all I can see!

I cleaned them today as it happens and I saw that the two outside ones drain out of the wheel arches....the centre one drains down the left side of the engine...nothing on the engine cover or around the gear linkage....odd.

Ray
Libraryman2
Libraryman2

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Corinium FB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Phoboff likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by fenderbender Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:21 am

That's shocking, personally I would be contacting trading standards and getting all my money back.

Dave.
fenderbender
fenderbender
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Transit
Vehicle Year : 2013

Phoboff and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoboff Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:58 am

Sadly in allowing AS to repair this van 5 times now, I have forfeited the right for legal redress in the courts. Believe or not this vehicle was a replacement for a similar one supplied in September. That one (PO 69 EAG), failed immediately with catastrophic electrical failure as I drove away from Marquis Newbury depot! They had charged the traction battery reverse polarity or heavy amperage boost charged, and blown all the Peugeot ECUs! This van was formally rejected under consumer law. I have been told Marquis will "continue to repair my replacement vehicle (PO69 EAG)" until the end of warranty quote Alan Docherty Customer Care manager at Marquis. In mitigation the Auto-Sleeper factory in Willersey have been marvellous. They have replaced the Sargent electrics, the inoperative Thetford fridge, the fresh water system, provided me with a new waste water system(this fell off on the M5 motorway). replaced the Truma heating unit, the faulty central locking system, and the inoperative new style LED tail lights. They also liaised with Peugeot Warranty Dept. on my behalf and got the headlights replaced. This is why I am so worried that the new headlamps are now full of condensation and the engine compartment is still being soaked with rain water running straight in! The only suggestion i have had so far is to place a paint roller tray on the top of the engine, but the problem is far worse than that.
Phoboff
Phoboff

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway

Back to top Go down

Post by Libraryman2 Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:05 am

Jesus: it’s frightening.

Ray think_smiley_46
Libraryman2
Libraryman2

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Corinium FB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:55 pm

After very heavy rain, I have just quickly checked mine, but the rain has started again. I have a 40mm or so pipe connected to the centre of the scuttle and this runs down and through the side wing panel. It looks as though the holes you are talking about are blanked off. The engine compartment is bone dry.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:40 pm

something is not right here...
back in 2006 the then new Ducato/Boxer had plenty of rain/scuttle problems HOWEVER, as others have stated, NOT in 2020...
several fixes to windscreen surrounds, scuttle, drainage holes have eventually sorted things....several years back as far as i can recall...
flooding the engine compartment should not be happening on a recent Boxer....
if they've had several attemps to fix, and its just as bad, i would be consulting legal helpers...
i certainly would not be continuing to accept a brand new van in that condition....
for £63k you can do wothout this hassle.....there are loads of vans out there that are fully watertight....
good luck..
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:10 pm

Have you taken it to your local Peugeot Boxer dealership as the fault appears to be their's rather than AS/Marquis.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:05 pm

This is my mod to stop water damage  to the wiring ecu etc  .the normal van roof will not have the area that a coach built motorhome roof has so on the 250 model I fitted extra drain holes to help this problem
Ray 
In my mod picture you will see a 2nd small pipe behind the main drain pipe just in case you missed this one[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper : kemerton xl

FreelanderUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ajrm Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:53 am

Phoboff wrote:I have just had two new replacement headlamps fitted to my 800miles run and brand new Broadway coach built. Supplied 11 October 2019..............
..................................................................................

I have been given a copy of MMM magazine by a friend highlighting and confirming these problems! It applies to FIATS as well. This is well known in the trade and amongst "enthusiasts". As he walked away he jauntily said . "You should never have bought it! get rid soonest! and buy a Merc or a VW". Not very helpful when you have just spent£63,000.

We had a 2013 Broadway based on a Peugeot and didn't have any water drainage problems over the engine.
We now have a late 2018 Fiat Ducati base (x290) and there are no water leaks onto the engine either. 
Both vans had drainage that exited in the wheel arches and at the rear of the gearbox, well away from the linkage. We do get water on the top of the engine if it has been raining when I open the bonnet, but that’s just a few drips from the heater air intake .
If yours has 5 drainage holes, it seems like it is a new design or has been modified. We also never had a porous cover over either engine, just the fibre lining attached to the bonnet.
I am sure, even though Marquis have attempted repairs 5 times, you will still have a legal case to reject it as unfit for purpose. Have you had any proper legal advice?

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex 2013 Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:46 am

That sounds truly terrible and I feel for you Phoboff. It knocks my Duff Rapido into a cocked hat. After giving Brownhills three chances to make the electric bed work and they failed, I wrote the standard "I want my money back" letter which unsurprisingly Brownhills refused. I went to a solicitor who wanted a deposit of £20,000 which he said would buy the first day in court and then if you loose you will pay all your costs, the court costs and Brownhills costs. So I just took it back and part exchanged it for another model.
The steel shells are all built by SEVEL, and then Peugeot / Citroen / Fiat add their engines (actually Peugeot fit a Ford engine!) and suspension, steering and so on, and then they go off to a body builder. Therefore your engine compartment, bonnet, windscreen scuttle and so on are the same as all the other Fiat Ducatos which are not (in the latest models) suffering from water ingress.
What needs to be done is to get one of those remote optical fibre cameras, run the fibre inside the bonnet, shut it and spray water over the windscreen to see where it goes and get it all fixed.
I know what you mean about the difficulty of getting money back when you have allowed a dealer to attempt to put it right. In law you have to give them the opportunity to fix a fault. However some judges may say you have then 'accepted' the product. I think reasonable logic would say you gave them one chance, in this case for several months, to fix it and they failed and therefore they are unable to fix it and you should have your money back. Unfortunately to do this if they refuse your request you would have to go to court and unless you are rich you will have to defend yourself.
However, don't give up on motorhomes in general. As others have said here, you have an odd one, they just don't generally do what you are experiencing. It does sound as if your scuttle drainage system is faulty somehow. Have you poured water over the windscreen and seen where it runs?
I now have a Ford Transit and it has a sensibly designed scuttle drainage system so I only have bad design Ford problems instead of bad design SEVEL problems . . . . . .
And yesterday I went to look at Volvos. There is nothing you can do in the engine, they don't even have a dip stick to check the oil level! No thanks.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1 Bourton 1 Polensa
Vehicle Year : various

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:06 am

Volvo non dipsticks. My son was told why his has no dipstick, " Owners today just do not lift the bonnet anymore, so we use warning lights, much more reliable" From main agent.

I cannot recall the last time I had to top up any oils.
------------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:51 am

worth a check, have the holes been blanked off, so the water runs down the pipes, they look like plastic stoppers screwed in
Anonymous

Back to top Go down