The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DVLA - D4 required ???

4 posters

Go down

DVLA - D4 required ??? Empty DVLA - D4 required ???

Post by Quilter Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:41 pm

My OH sent off his D2 form and driving licence ( which expires in mid-August) to the DVLA Swansea 2 weeks ago. He had not had any forms or alerts from them so we got a D2 from the post office. We understood from the DVLA website that the D4 form and medical /eye tests were suspended during the coronavirus outbreak.

Today he has had his old licence back from the DVLA, his completed D2 form and a request that he completes the D4 form enclosed and has the medical and eye examination needed before completing it.

I phoned the firm that did our D4 tests 3 years ago; they are not doing them during the crisis. Our own surgery says the same. I have been trying to contact the DVLA by phone but no-one is answering. 

Has anyone had a similar experience ? Can we just ignore the letter and go away with his ( expired) licence ?  We are booked to go away soon and want to hire a car while away. All the car hire firm will say about expired licences is that " it depends on the manager of the particular office as to whether he accepts or not.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

DVLA - D4 required ??? Empty Re: DVLA - D4 required ???

Post by groundhog Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:53 pm

You may have read my 18 month saga about getting my licence from the DVLA, it looks from your post that your husband has not yet entered the black hole that is the medical department. I have no idea where he could get a medical I am afraid but could his eyesite test be done at your local optician, Boots or Specsavers?
Here is perhaps the relevant part to your question.
Once the DVLA has received your application you are entitled to drive under section 88 of the road traffic act quite legally on your old licence whilst they action your new one. My question would be though do they consider having written and returned your application that the received box is closed? Ask three different people in their useless call centre even if you do get through and you will get four different answers! I would argue you have submitted an application and they have replied asking for more information, so you are covered under section 88, not sure in law if that would be considered correct though.
Don't know who you spoke to about car hire but if your husband's licence has now expired, Hertz, Avis etc will not let him hire a car, nor will dealers allow you to drive one of their loan cars. There is a potential way round this but it needs the co operation of the DVLA and good luck with that! 
I wanted to hire a car whilst my C1 was being renewed and pointed out that most car hire companies do not accept section 88. They agreed to issue a car only licence (temporary) which they did rapidly and was about the only thing they did properly. If you can get to talk to someone sensible and make up a good story they might just do this for you too, caveat though I did this pre virus.
Sorry this is a bit long winded and is only from personal experience not any legal knowledge.
Good luck
'hog!

Just remembered, if you are writing to the DVLA try to do it by email especially the medical centre. They have to action e mails within 4 days but letters go to the bottom of the pile apparently. confused3
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:17 pm

The chap who purchased my Autotrail is going down this route at the moment with the D4, he sent it in 2 weeks ago next day special delivery after getting his Dr to do the medical and eye test ,he has just a notification from DVLA that they are prioritising health and  social workers and HGV first and he must wait for his licence to comeback with the C1 entitlement

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:27 pm

There is a bit on the DVLA website that is linked through from the Renew over 70 site, that says,

"If your licence expires before 31 August 2020

Your driving licence or entitlement to drive will be automatically extended for 7 months if it’s due to expire between 1 February 2020 and 31 August 2020.

This is because of coronavirus (COVID-19). You will not receive a new licence.

The extension will start from the date your licence is due to expire.

You can renew your licence at any time before the extension ends."

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This is the DVLA contact email form.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:29 pm

FreelanderUK wrote:The chap who purchased my Autotrail is going down this route at the moment with the D4, he sent it in 2 weeks ago next day special delivery after getting his Dr to do the medical and eye test ,he has just a notification from DVLA that they are prioritising health and  social workers and HGV first and he must wait for his licence to comeback with the C1 entitlement

But he can still drive on his old C1 until new is issue or rejected.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:36 pm

PLOUGHLIN wrote:There is a bit on the DVLA website that is linked through from the Renew over 70 site, that says,

"If your licence expires before 31 August 2020

Your driving licence or entitlement to drive will be automatically extended for 7 months if it’s due to expire between 1 February 2020 and 31 August 2020.

This is because of coronavirus (COVID-19). You will not receive a new licence.

The extension will start from the date your licence is due to expire.

You can renew your licence at any time before the extension ends."

This is the DVLA contact email form.

Thank you all,

The bit that Ploughlin quotes above is what we were going on. Also this, from the DVLA website:

Normally an application to renew a lorry or bus licence at age 45 or over must include a medical examination report (D4) which is signed by a doctor. However, NHS doctors cannot carry out these examinations so lorry and bus drivers are currently unable to obtain D4 medical reports required to support their application.
So, in these special circumstances, a D4 will not be required when applying to renew a lorry or bus licence until further notice. However, this will only apply if the licence has expired or is due to expire on or after 1 January 2020.
However, please note: where a bus or lorry licence is renewed without the production of a valid D4, it will only be valid for a period of one year.
This will not affect applications for renewal of licences made by those aged 65 or over as these licences are already only valid for one year.
This notice does not apply to any application to renew small lorry (C1) and minibus (D1 (101)) entitlements included on car licences issued before 1997.
Any driver who has already obtained a D4 can still submit this with their application. A licence issued in such cases would be valid for the usual full term that applies.

Neither our surgery or the firm that we went to before will do a D4 examination at the moment and the 2 pieces quoted above, by the DVLA, seem to indicate it is not necessary at the moment anyway. So why have they sent everything back with the demand he has a D4 examination  and complete the form ? According to the passage that Ploughlin posted his driving licence will be valid for 7 months from 8th August.

They have sent back his application (D2) and his old driving licence. I don't know if that counts as a rejection.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:40 pm

He had his licence renewed in March this year and it was only when he came to buy my van that I told him it was up plated to 4000kg that he realised he had lost his C1 when the DVLA renewed his licence

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:04 pm

FreelanderUK wrote:He had his licence renewed in March this year and it was only when he came to buy my van that I told him it was up plated to 4000kg that he realised he had lost his C1 when the DVLA renewed his licence

What he probably means is when he renewed he used the online system, not reading it properly, and didn't apply to retain his C1E/D1E entitlement?

Donator
Donator

Male

FreelanderUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:39 pm

That’s quite possible PLOUGHIN

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:02 pm

How covid has had such an effect on everything! I wonder if you could get the DVLA to confirm the application was accepted and therefore coverage is still applicable under section 88 irrespective of the covid situation?

Once again with regard to the person who licence has lapsed, I hope they don't now ask him to take another test?

Minefield, isn't it!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:13 pm

groundhog wrote:How covid has had such an effect on everything! I wonder if you could get the DVLA to confirm the application was accepted and therefore coverage is still applicable under section 88 irrespective of the covid situation?

Once again with regard to the person who licence has lapsed, I hope they don't now ask him to take another test?

Minefield, isn't it!

It is indeed ! The DVLA website is SO ambiguous !  It seems there is a 7 months extension of licences. Tick VG.  It recognises that D4 forms cannot be completed as doctors are not doing them so they are not required. Tick.

BUT, it then goes on to add this:

This notice does not apply to any application to renew small lorry (C1) and minibus (D1 (101)) entitlements included on car licences issued before 1997

which seems to make a nonsense of the whole thing. 
Thanks for info re e-mailing the DVLA. This will be done when OH gets back from having hab check and MOT at Autosleepers. 
Only pity taxi drivers who have to jump through all sorts of hoops and must renew. At the bottom of their page it talks about stress and mental health and urges them to get help. Bluntly, after tangling with the DVLA I shall need some of the same.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

PLOUGHLIN likes this post

Back to top Go down