The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lockdown Breach - Setting a Poor Example

+6
Quilter
kaspian
frederic
burlingtonboaby
Gromit
justlooking
10 posters

Go down

Lockdown Breach - Setting a Poor Example Empty Lockdown Breach - Setting a Poor Example

Post by justlooking Sat May 30, 2020 11:29 am

A couple have decided to stay overnight in their 67 plate Corinium in the car park on the front at Mersea. They arrived yesterday and are still there this morning. It's a very public area. They've set a really bad example for the remainder of the Autosleeper community.

And their huge van with its enormous overhang at the back looks quite silly ...
justlooking
justlooking

Male

Auto-Sleeper : IH 630 RL
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Lockdown Breach - Setting a Poor Example Empty Re: Lockdown Breach - Setting a Poor Example

Post by Gromit Sat May 30, 2020 11:32 am

Rat on them to the police.

You would be doing the rest of us a favour!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Lockdown Breach - Setting a Poor Example Empty Re: Lockdown Breach - Setting a Poor Example

Post by burlingtonboaby Sat May 30, 2020 1:57 pm

Haven't seen as ASvans around the coast. Plenty of others, mainly coach builts and home conversions.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic Sat May 30, 2020 2:46 pm

Yesterday we saw an Autotrail parked on the Marine Lake car park in Stranraer.
As we were out giving our 'van an airing with a coffee and snack lunch,(staying within the 5 mile limit!!) we thought that we might join them.
But the view was better on the Breastworks CP so we parked up there.
The police were noticeable for their several passes along the seafront road, and we wondered if we would get a visit. I Believe that they can check whether you are a local by accessing your registration. 
Anyway after a couple of passes they focused their attentions on the said Autotrail in the aforesaid carpark, and seemed to be giving them a good grilling for half an hour with one of officer spending sometime on his phone speaking to base perhaps! Anyway shortly after they had left a man emerged and went over to a large luton panel van parked a couple of bays away and drove off closely followed by the motorvan.
To the ferries perhaps? though they did not carry Irish plates.
So stay local and you hopefully may be OK smile!
Several of our villages hereabouts have banners proclaiming that visitors are not welcome during the Coravirus lockdowns, (Sanheed is one.)
frederic
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz TipT
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by justlooking Sun May 31, 2020 2:17 pm

Joined by another one. You know who you are, and so do we now.

Lockdown Breach - Setting a Poor Example Camper11
justlooking
justlooking

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Sun May 31, 2020 3:01 pm

Nice parking just looking! Goes to show that although you have upwards of £ 60K disposable income that does not guarantee a  brain in either case you highlight.   We just fear the possible backlash when we finally are set free. Will possibly sit tight for a few months yet. 
    My brother in law just visited as usual after 10 weeks he has items requiring repair and I am roped in as mr fixit! , an otherwise intelligent chap with  a highly paid government  job . According to him Boris has, like Brexit , now GOT COVID DONE!!  It was all a load of nonsense , has cost millions their jobs and let's get on with it ! No mention of poor souls who did not make it or the fact nothing has changed and virus is still out there.... next they will be telling us the Earth is flat!
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : WARWICK XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Sun May 31, 2020 3:37 pm

justlooking wrote:Joined by another one. You know who you are, and so do we now.

Lockdown Breach - Setting a Poor Example Camper11

Providing the van photographed is not spending the night and that it is parked in a public car park then what is wrong here ? We are allowed to use vehicles to drive somewhere for the day for exercise or even a change of view. That the owner wants to give his van a run is entirely understandable. 

What does seem a bit mean-spirited is taking a photo of said van and publishing it, plus a threatening message, on a public forum.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun May 31, 2020 3:45 pm

Quilter wrote: 

What does seem a bit mean-spirited is taking a photo of said van and publishing it, plus a threatening message, on a public forum.

I agree totally, fortunately its very rare for us to read nasty comments on this forum.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Sun May 31, 2020 4:14 pm

I'm heading for Filey Brigg next week if the weather holds,I have a parking permit until to end of October this year on my van.
We walk the dog, have a brew ,watch life go bye and home again.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by justlooking Sun May 31, 2020 4:36 pm

Thanks all. The van was parked overnight with its occupants, which breaches the travel restrictions - in place to protect the rest of us. So who's the mean spirited party?
justlooking
justlooking

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun May 31, 2020 4:55 pm

justlooking wrote:Thanks all. The van was parked overnight with its occupants, which breaches the travel restrictions - in place to protect the rest of us. So who's the mean spirited party?
You didn't say it had stayed overnight in your previous post.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Sun May 31, 2020 4:56 pm

justlooking wrote:Thanks all. The van was parked overnight with its occupants, which breaches the travel restrictions - in place to protect the rest of us. So who's the mean spirited party?

That does not justify your taking a photo and publishing it, plus threatening remarks, on a public forum. If the van was there overnight then I am sure the police would, if they thought it necessary, have done something about it.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Sun May 31, 2020 5:08 pm

I feel it is perhaps a generation thing . My  ( younger ) b.i.l. never respected  lockdown , thinks it is all nonsense over an equivalent to a bit of flu that mainly old people get. Did exactly as he pleased etc. Reports galore today over Luss village at Loch Lomond beauty spot inundated with  visitors with local villagers   who have remained virus free until now , up in arms. 
     First report from just looking is from a van clearly breaking  current  rules even south of the border by overnighting I believe. Second is as quilter says quite possibly a day trippers but tomorrows headlines wont target the many cars there but will have a lovely picture of expensive camper Van's invading their home area which happens to be a beauty spot  fuelling anger .
    Surely for all our sakes it is best to keep the heid, stay calm , lay low , as Dbvwt says camp only in recognised sites for a month or two until hopefully communities get back to as far as possible  normal ways.  It is not worth bringing bad press on our hobby and incurring the wrath of  concerned locals whose anger is not unreasonable  and understandable and fuelling the few idiots to take what they see as vengeance on unwanted visitors in future . They will welcome  us  back soon enough.
        I respect everyone to  have  their own opinion .    We may venture forth but it will be in a wee inconspicuous car in stealth mode and avoiding the obvious  beauty spots where possible.  Our new van sits as a garden ornament from  the day we bought it 3rd Feb. , I have spent most days modifying  and fettling but will, resist from temptation for the moment to use it just yet. Van's  sit in dealers forecourts for months  , some times years before sold . A few more  days wont kill our vans.

Last edited by kaspian on Sun May 31, 2020 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : WARWICK XL

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Sun May 31, 2020 5:55 pm

Things could be worse, I have relatives who live near Bakewell, they tell me travellers took up residence with their caravans and motorhomes in one of the town centre carparks many weeks ago.
Due to some of them testing positive for the virus, it looks like they're there for the duration.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound Sun May 31, 2020 8:34 pm

It's too easy to come to conclusions.

That could well be a member of parliament having trouble with their eyesight.
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

Back to top Go down