The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Washbasin Nuevo 2008

+4
Caraman
Gromit
oldfred
mcalid
8 posters

Go down

Washbasin Nuevo 2008 Empty Washbasin Nuevo 2008

Post by mcalid Thu May 07, 2020 11:33 pm

The waste water from my bathroom basin takes ages to empty, I have tried Sink Unblocker fluids but none have worked so far.
Has anyone else solved this on a Nuevo?
mcalid
mcalid
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Washbasin Nuevo 2008 Empty Re: Washbasin Nuevo 2008

Post by oldfred Fri May 08, 2020 9:52 am

It might be worth opening the swing shower door and unscrewing the 4 long screws (covered in sealant or plastic buttons). Take off the panel and you can then take off the pipe and put some wire down to unblock or clean it.

I had to do this as the pipe came loose on a journey, the water was draining onto to floor below the shower tray. I fitted a big jubilee clip on the pipe which I think A/S had missed.
oldfred
oldfred

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Fri May 08, 2020 10:00 am

They missed mine too Fred, with similar results!

Typical of A/S I fear. Cracking good vans in most ways, but spoiled by irritating little details.

(By "irritating little details" I was not specifically referring to the pillock who didn't bother to fit a jubilee clip because no one would know!!! But take it that way if you like.  uncertain)
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat May 09, 2020 6:20 pm

mcalid wrote:The waste water from my bathroom basin takes ages to empty, I have tried Sink Unblocker fluids but none have worked so far.
Has anyone else solved this on a Nuevo?
I find all my plug holes can be slow to drain but a pumping action with the palm of the hand or sole of the foot for the shower tray clears it.  I think it's an air block.   Your's may be different.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Tue May 12, 2020 4:08 pm

It wouldn't apply to the swing wall basin, but I followed the kitchen sink drain on my Nuevo and found that it ran uphill. Now it runs downhill and so does the water!
Looking under mine yesterday at the resistors with corrosion screwed under the rear floor, I noticed that one of the shower drains runs down through the floor, under the chassis and then back up into the grey water tank. Then I looked at the electric heater pad on the grey water tank. What do you think I thought then?
The U bend in the shower tray drain will freeze in winter, so what's the point of heating the grey water if it never reaches the tank?
I pierced the bottom of the U bend with a small spike and let the water drip out. This will stop the pipe from getting blocked with frozen water. It will drip a little bit but hopefully so long as I am not in an immaculate drip-free zone no one will notice. Most of the water in the pipe will eventually reach the tank.

caraman and others:
If a drain runs downhill and then encounters a U bend, assuming it is not frozen, the static water in the U bend will slow down the flow of the water through it. It's logical if you think about it. My EK Nuevo kitchen sink drain ran down to behind one of the drawers, then sloped upwards before then running down one side of the oven and then through the floor to the tank. The part that sloped upwards acted as a U bend, containing some static water. Once I realigned the pipes to flow downwards all along their route the sink drained quickly.
This is by no means confined to AutoSleepers. I had a new Rapido which had the kitchen sink some distance from the tank. The route it took included seven right angled bends, and it was all in 25mm pipe. A right angle bend (an elbow, in plumbing parlance) has the same resistance to water or gas flow as one metre of straight pipe. I ripped it all out and replaced it with 32mm pipe, and reduced the number of bends to 3. The water then drained so fast it went with a schluuurrpp noise. What gets me is that the manufacturers could have done it if they had employed a plumber to design the plumbing, and it would even have cost them less because it used fewer parts and labour.
gassygassy
gassygassy
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1 Bourton 1 Polensa
Vehicle Year : various

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Tue May 12, 2020 9:50 pm

Thanks gassygassy.  I'll have a look to see what I can find.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Wed May 13, 2020 8:46 am

While you are there, observe the peculiar path of the drain pipes under the floor. One of them proceeds on its merry way towards the tank then turns round a 270 degree bend back on itself at a Y junction before carrying on round another U bend to the tank.
I don't like the way the grey water drain pipe runs much either. I don't like having to get my two hands under there, gripping the tap and un-clipping it from the terry clip and then needing two hands to turn the tap on and drain it. It is always covered in crud. The exhaust pipe is lower than the tap so if anything is going to crunch on the gorund it will be the exhaust. I am wondering if the grey water drain tap could be fixed and still have a fall from the tank to the tap. It could of course be electric . . . . . . . that would be another fault-prone gizmo that A/S could fit! hugegrins
It wouldn't be too difficult to fit an electric solenoid to the drain pipe . . . .
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
gassygassy
gassygassy
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1 Bourton 1 Polensa
Vehicle Year : various

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed May 13, 2020 10:17 am

Re last post, if you search this forum you will find that a couple of members have fitted electrically operated drain taps fairly recently.

In some AS models where the shower is on the other side of the van to the waste tank, a small tank was fitted under the shower and fitted with a pump to automatically transfer water from that tank to the main tank - with that installation, if the van was not level in a certain direction the ball valve that controlled the pump would stay operated and the pump run continuously.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Wed May 13, 2020 4:19 pm

Gassy, here is my electric drain thread. Bear with it, it’s long!

If A/S had fitted it then I’m sure it would have some kind of problem by now!!
Not blowing my own trumpet but it works brilliantly, that grey tap on its own was a major part of the flow restriction, how on earth can something as simple as that get through the design stage?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Thu May 14, 2020 12:20 am

I have a problem with the sink draining to fast ,the plug won't stay put.
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Washbasin Nuevo 2008 Empty Thanks to all.

Post by mcalid Fri May 15, 2020 1:16 am

I have been working and unable to thank all of you who so kindly replied to me but I have some time off now so I will be able to try some of the remedies that you have posted.
I will post again when I solve the problem.
Thanks to all.
mcalid
mcalid
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down