The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trailer board

+2
Dbvwt
Mids
6 posters

Go down

Trailer board Empty Trailer board

Post by Mids Wed May 06, 2020 7:39 am

Hi looking at attaching a trailer board to my bike rack has any one done this if so what make and how is it attached . When you but a cover the bikes all of the bike rack is covered
Mids
Mids

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Trailer board Empty Re: Trailer board

Post by Dbvwt Wed May 06, 2020 8:11 am

I’m sure there have been a couple of detailed threads recently about the same subject.
I will see if I can find them but I’m sure someone will beat me to it smile!
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Trailer board Empty Re: Trailer Board

Post by marconi Wed May 06, 2020 8:45 am

This thread should have all the details you need.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

We worked everthing out for the Nuevo but it applies to Broadway also. Maypole do a board, there are others on the Web, Halfords version I found was unfit for purpose as the light units filled with water being designed to mount horizontally and used vertically.

Also pay attention the the Law on Reflectors many boards have Triangular Reflectors which are for Trailers only, we changed Triangular for Legal Square ones.
marconi
marconi

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Wed May 06, 2020 10:13 am

marconi wrote:Also pay attention the the Law on Reflectors many boards have Triangular Reflectors which are for Trailers only, we changed Triangular for Legal Square ones.
Or not - either accidentally or deliberately!  Whistle1

I wasn't aware of this regulation, and I haven't checked but assume you are correct. smile!

We have used a Thule carrier for years, and have never though to modify its light board - which does not have square reflectors.

See the images [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I can't imagine many (if any) of the thousands of other Thule users have altered their boards either, or that Messrs Thule have got it wrong for the carriers they sell in the UK.

I can only conclude that there's a sub, sub paragraph somewhere in the regs that applies specifically to bike carriers, or that HM Plod are not concerned about something so relatively trivial.

Interesting one.  scratch head
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Mids Wed May 06, 2020 11:56 am

Hi marconi
How do you attach trailer board securely  to bikes
Mids
Mids

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mids Wed May 06, 2020 12:00 pm

Hi gromit
I take it you gave a tow bar fitted  for your thule bike carrier
Did the back of motorhome  have to be modified  for this
Mids
Mids

Male

Back to top Go down

Trailer board Empty Re: Trailer Board

Post by marconi Wed May 06, 2020 12:12 pm

Mids wrote:Hi marconi
How do you attach trailer board securely  to bikes

Gromit I see no triangles on the Thule. A triangular reflector denotes a Trailer, I have seen "must not" somewhere in the regs. Like all these things after an accident Mr Plod may be interested as well as the Insurance Company.

I know people use Bungee Cords or strap arrangements. Personally as I have a Fiamma Box on my rack I wanted a more permanent fixing so I fashioned brackets to hang from below the rack, obviously each case will find its best solution. Mine has withstood a five thousand mile permantly fixed test through storm and tempest at times.

Last edited by marconi on Wed May 06, 2020 1:26 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typos)
marconi
marconi

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Wed May 06, 2020 12:13 pm

Mids wrote:Hi gromit
I take it you gave a tow bar fitted  for your thule bike carrier
Did the back of motorhome  have to be modified  for this
No.

The tow bar sticks out below the skirt, so there are no mods apart from the iron work underneath.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mids Wed May 06, 2020 12:19 pm

Gromit any chance you could post st a picture of yours fixed
Mids
Mids

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Wed May 06, 2020 12:29 pm

Mids wrote:Gromit any chance you could post st a picture of yours fixed
Not easily, sorry.

I can reassure you however that it's far easier and more convenient to use than the high level Fiamma carrier as normally fitted to the vans.

No heaving the bikes up to chest height, and fitting a cover over them is quite easy, as compared to damn near impossible on the high carriers. We found we use our bikes far more with the tow ball carrier, as it's so much quicker and easier to take them off and put them back on.
The bikes do hide the van number plate and partly the lights as well, but (not to dispute what Marconi says as I'm no legal beagle  rolleyes ) I have no worries about the legality of the reflectors on the Thule carrier. They have sold thousands in the UK, many through Halfords, so I can't realistically believe there will ever be a problem.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Wed May 06, 2020 9:33 pm

The Thule carrier board is perfectly legal as it is not a trailer and therefore quite properly has no triangular reflectors. So all is well with your set-up, Dave.

The problem would occur if someone with a rear mounted bike rack bought and fitted a board designed for use on a trailer, such as this one from Halfrauds:

This does have triangular reflectors, which would be correct if it were fitted to a trailer, in accordance with the regulations:

However this would not meet the legal technical requirements if it were attached to a vehicle or appendage such as a bike rack, not being a trailer. Of course it would also only be any use if the vehicle had a towbar fitted anyway, or at least towbar electrics.

Whether or not the police would bother to stop you for this if all else was OK is moot.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat May 09, 2020 7:31 pm

The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 Schedule 18  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] states:

(b) No vehicle, other than a trailer or a broken-down motor vehicle being towed, may be fitted with triangular-shaped rear reflectors.

The Regulations do not stipulate the shape of the rear reflector if it is not fitted to 'a trailer or a broken-down motor vehicle being towed'.  Therefore, rectangular or round reflectors on the back of a motorhome with or without a lighting board are fine providing it is not being towed.  Lighting boards with triangular reflectors should only be used on the back of vehicles being towed including trailers.  
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down