The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wi-FI to use with FireStick!

+7
groundhog
Askit
Greyhound
Traficlady
RML
Peter Brown
hpatel
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Wi-FI to use with FireStick! - Page 2 Empty Re: Wi-FI to use with FireStick!

Post by Peter Brown Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:28 pm

Yes, that makes sense.

If I already had a TV optimised for caravan use (as Avtex and others are) that had Smart capability then that would be fine.

I had an excellent dumb TV and spare Firestick, installed all the Players I desired and that is also fine.

There is an added benefit that the Firestick can easily be relocated to other temporary accommodation but that is not a benefit I need.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:08 pm

Good, thanks Peter  allthumbz

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:42 pm

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:46 pm

There are also many sideloaded apps for sports and films available including Kodi, you can easily google these, installation instructions are also available.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by RML Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:37 am

Firestick v Smart TV.
This is a good question, I have both. IMO the Firestick is more flexible, updates more often and is easier to navigate than our smart TV. There lots of info on the web comparing this very subject. Let us know what you decide.
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:35 am

Hi wave

Askit wrote: I was trying to establish if the firestick offers anything more than I have already, if that makes any sense.

Probably not at the moment (depends on what apps you've got on the TV ) but:

I think one of the problems with smart TVs is that they are ok when new but like mobile phones, manufactures don’t always update the apps so a smart TV slowly becomes a dumb TV. There seems a lot of variation as to how long different manufacturers support old apps.

The same applies to dongle type gadgets (Firesticks etc) as well but they are a lot cheaper to replace. Anyone with an older smart TV that works well but is loosing apps could just get something like a Firestick rather than replace the whole TV.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2019/12/smart-tvs-losing-access-to-streaming-apps-how-severe-is-the-issue/

Brod
brodco
brodco
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:49 am

Thanks Brodco and welcome back  up!

Our house sets are pretty new (about 18 months old) and both update their data on a regular basis. Our TV in the Neuvo is an older Medion one and, although it's in reasonable nick, it's getting a bit long in the tooth. I decided that, at £20, it was worth getting the firestick to use in the van so I ordered one. It will be a week or so before we get it due to the current situation, I guess we'll have plenty of time to try it out at home before getting to use it anywhere away  shrugg

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:55 am

I definitely chose the wrong year to take a 12 month contract out for the data sim in the van!!!!!
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:04 pm

Hi wave ,

Peter Brown wrote:I definitely chose the wrong year to take a 12 month contract out for the data sim in the van!!!!!

Ouch! shrugg 

Brod
brodco
brodco
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by RML Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:45 pm

Askit wrote:Thanks Brodco and welcome back  up!

Our house sets are pretty new (about 18 months old) and both update their data on a regular basis. Our TV in the Neuvo is an older Medion one and, although it's in reasonable nick, it's getting a bit long in the tooth. I decided that, at £20, it was worth getting the firestick to use in the van so I ordered one. It will be a week or so before we get it due to the current situation, I guess we'll have plenty of time to try it out at home before getting to use it anywhere away  shrugg

The Firestick will need a power supply. This can either be a 240v or usb socket nearby but the usb in your TV might not have sufficient energy to do this. The Firestick does get warm in use.
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:03 pm

Mine is happy with power from tv USB. There is a photo of it somewhere on the forum.

https://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t31484-amazon-tv-firestick-sub-titles?highlight=iplayer
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:23 pm

RML wrote:
Askit wrote:Thanks Brodco and welcome back  up!

The Firestick will need a power supply. This can either be a 240v or usb socket nearby but the usb in your TV might not have sufficient energy to do this. The Firestick does get warm in use.
Rich..
Thanks Rich, yes I saw that on the Amazon spec page. We're alway on hook up so it shouldn't be a problem if we need to plug it in.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fatwinger Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:21 am

If you want to get more from your fire stick,Free movies,free sky,mobdro take a look at troypoint on youtub very easy process shows step by step set up.Done mine works brilliant more channels no prime subscription all free.
I have been messing about with an iboost, can pick up free wifi from an aldi store from over 200 mtrs,can watch tv on fire stick no problem ,will be interesting to play with to get free wifi when all this covid is over.
Fatwinger
Fatwinger

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Burford
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:52 pm

I got a firestick about 18 months ago to use with our TP Link Mifi and only to get the main UK catch up services. Last year it worked very well but, since we started using it again when we got back on the road, this year the performance has been pretty poor. I've tried updating it (at home) but that did not improve the functioning. The Mifi signal (on 3) is registering as "very good" on 4G yet the Firestick either spends ages buffering or showing a "service not available" message.

Do I need to (a) Complain to Amazon, (b) Take it outside and adjust it with my 2lb hammer  snigger or (c) is there something I'm missing in relation to improving the performance?

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:35 pm

I use one firestick in the van and one in the house and they both work fine. Amazon technical support is good - the one time I've had to use it as the kit is so good, kindles, echo, echo dot and wifi operated switches
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:17 pm

Thanks Peter, I'll contact them. I had been wondering if anyone else was experiencing similar problems, the failure of the firestick to connect to services has had me scratching my head.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RML Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:01 am

Askit wrote:I got a firestick about 18 months ago to use with our TP Link Mifi and only to get the main UK catch up services. Last year it worked very well but, since we started using it again when we got back on the road, this year the performance has been pretty poor. I've tried updating it (at home) but that did not improve the functioning. The Mifi signal (on 3) is registering as "very good" on 4G yet the Firestick either spends ages buffering or showing a "service not available" message.

Do I need to (a) Complain to Amazon, (b) Take it outside and adjust it with my 2lb hammer  snigger or (c) is there something I'm missing in relation to improving the performance?
If you have a phone you can tether to the same WiFi source you could do a speed test. Both my Firesticks work well when tethered to my phone.
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:51 am

Thanks Rich, didn't think to try that. I did use my tablet to check if there was a problem with the catch up services and, at the time I checked, they were ok. I'm at home now (using the grown up wifi snigger ) and interestingly, last night whilst iplayer was ok, neither My5 or More4 were operational  shrugg

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2