The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alarm and AS Monitor

+7
Paulmold
Peter Brown
rogerblack
marconi
gassygassy
Kdc
Caraman
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Alarm and AS Monitor Empty Alarm and AS Monitor

Post by Caraman Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:13 pm

AS do not supply their motorhomes with alarms but as an optional extra Marquis do.  Last year Marquis supplied my new Nuevo with a Cobra alarm fitted by TSN Automotive.  The AS Monitor user guide explains that alerts will be sent by e-mail and/or SMS if an aftermarket alarm is “suitably wired” and triggered.  I assumed mine was “suitably wired” because AS Monitor shows an icon stating it is armed but not triggered.  I have recently discovered that this refers to the tracker and not the alarm and that when the alarm trigger alert is set and the alarm is triggered, no alert is sent.  This is because the alarm was not “suitably wired” by TSN Automotive because they were not told by Marquis how the alarm should be “suitably wired”.  Sargent who run AS Monitor on behalf of AS has told me that they frequently advise how alarms should be “suitably wired” to enable the alerts to be sent and the alarm can be powered by either the vehicle battery (as mine is) or the leisure battery (as is the tracker).  I am taking this up with Marquis.  Has anyone else been around this buoy?

Last edited by Caraman on Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : gobblygook appeared)
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Alarm and AS Monitor Empty Re: Alarm and AS Monitor

Post by Caraman Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:10 am

Does anyone have an alarm and AS Monitor?  If so, do they get an alert if the alarm triggers?
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kdc Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:37 am

Does not answer your question but for info I also have AS Monitor with additional alarm fitted by Marquis. AS Monitor also shows alarm icon with alerts set but I have not tested it to see if it actually activates a notification,which I assume is the only way to know for sure. I will follow any progress reports you post and quess I’ll have to test it at some stage to know my set up.
Kdc
Kdc
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:15 am

Kdc wrote:Does not answer your question but for info I also have AS Monitor with additional alarm fitted by Marquis. AS Monitor also shows alarm icon with alerts set but I have not tested it to see if it actually activates a notification,which I assume is the only way to know for sure. I will follow any progress reports you post and quess I’ll have to test it at some stage to know my set up.
Thanks Kdc.  It's very easy to test the alarm by triggering it.  If you don't get the alert one of the key elements of the Harmony Utility Management System which AS advertise in their sales literature and on their website isn't working.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:43 am

Haven't had a squeak out of Marquis but discussed it with AS at Willersey who are on the case.  The alarm supplied by Marquis is a Vodaphone Cobra A5615 powered from the vehicle battery via the vehicle electrics.  Its supposed to interface with the Harmony UMS and AS Monitor but it doesn't.  Sargent are amending the motorhome map icon on the AS Monitor portal to replace alarm with tracker.  As only one person has responded to this thread, I assume very few who use the Harmony UMS and AS Monitor also have the alarm.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:45 am

This is precisely why I won't ever have another new motorhome. I've got enough money,  I just won't tolerate all these computerised electronics. I've been in electronics / radio / telecomms R&D all my life and I am fed up with it. My daughter's car threw a wobbly, the computer allegedly told me what the fault was. I changed the part and the fault was still there. These CAN bus computers tell lies.
So if I get another motorhome it will be a pre-2007 monocoque A/S. Tree wood. No leaks. No computers (hopefully). Built properly. Perhaps a mechanical injector pump. I have no need of going into Bristol or any other town that doesn't want me because I have an allegedly polluting vehicle where they run buses belching out black smoke. I have had four or five new or nearly new motorhomes in the last five years and every single one of them had design and build faults. So I will get an old A/S and refit it with new cooker, heater, fridge, lights and whatever else isn't controlled by a microprocessor.
I'll go to the NEC this week, but if I get pestered by a Gold Rolex wearing, perfume smelling salesman I will give them a list of the faults in their show model. Doesn't matter which one it is, it will be faulty.
 Must go now, the men in white coats tell me it's lunch time . . .
gassygassy
gassygassy
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1 Bourton 1 Polensa
Vehicle Year : various

Back to top Go down

Post by marconi Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:14 am

gassygassy wrote:This is precisely why I won't ever have another new motorhome. I've got enough money,  I just won't tolerate all these computerised electronics. I've been in electronics / radio / telecomms R&D all my life and I am fed up with it. My daughter's car threw a wobbly, the computer allegedly told me what the fault was. I changed the part and the fault was still there. These CAN bus computers tell lies.
So if I get another motorhome it will be a pre-2007 monocoque A/S. Tree wood. No leaks. No computers (hopefully). Built properly. Perhaps a mechanical injector pump. I have no need of going into Bristol or any other town that doesn't want me because I have an allegedly polluting vehicle where they run buses belching out black smoke. I have had four or five new or nearly new motorhomes in the last five years and every single one of them had design and build faults. So I will get an old A/S and refit it with new cooker, heater, fridge, lights and whatever else isn't controlled by a microprocessor.
I'll go to the NEC this week, but if I get pestered by a Gold Rolex wearing, perfume smelling salesman I will give them a list of the faults in their show model. Doesn't matter which one it is, it will be faulty.
 Must go now, the men in white coats tell me it's lunch time . . .

Oh dear, similar background similar thoughts, same men in white coats waiting for me.

I went and did it, bought the Nuevo. Told the salesmen I didn't even want relays switching everything consuming current,  give me a row of real switches. Of course we can't have it. Remis winding handle blinds, designed to last 2 seasons, change them for Heiki manual lift, can't  do it.

I even had to back away from a project with a friend who told me it was more important to introduce new features than spend time correcting reported programming errors. That is the prevailing attitude now, be it Banking or Engineering, I hate it, can't stand it. No no not the straight jacket again.
marconi
marconi

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:53 am

That's another reason why we've just spent over £5k on our 2002 Pollensa base vehicle (replacement gearbox, timing belt, water pump etc, radiator, chassis welding and repair of scuttle drain) because we hope to get another few years out of it.

The habitation area layout suits our needs, the AS build quality at that time was second to none and the control panel is the good old fashioned bank of knobs, dials and switches which means I can repair any faults myself plus if one thing goes wrong the rest is unaffected.

I've made loads of mods over the years to suit our needs, I know the conversion side inside out and can do repairs to that myself. I don't touch the base vehicle side as I've no skills there but we have a local family-run garage who look after it for me.

We've looked at later used and current new models with friends who've been looking to buy and have been totally unimpressed with the hab conversion quality. That plus the problems reported on here with the newer electronic panels just puts me right off. 

Fingers crossed our Pollensa keeps going for a while longer.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:37 pm

I'm being naughty here because this is definitely off topic but, having been formally trained in aviation radio/radar then moved to a career in terrestrial communications, I retain a van with a gas fire than doesn't need a fan, two large gas bottles with an auto changeover rather than a tank, an electrical system that just comprises on/off switches and basic indications. I do not have or want other than the base vehicle alarm/immobiliser and I don't want anyone tracking me or remotely monitoring/controlling any aspect of my base vehicle of motorhome.

Unfortunately I have to live with the blue LED's glued into the bathroom mirror......
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:56 pm

So the big question is why do AS have to have the latest troublesome gizmos, other converters (including Autotrail in their V-line van conversions) use the simpler Sargent systems and systems other than Sargent are available.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:50 pm

As said in other threads, it's a mix of changes in response to what they perceive as customer demand, and being forced to make changes because of what's happening to the base vehicle.

And you can understand why some people want the extra features. I must admit that if my van had an option to remotely power-up the heating via my mobile phone, I would probably use it, because the idea of having a warm van to step into when you've been trudging through the rain for several hours is appealing.

And if I stored my van outside, I would probably want an alarm/tracker too.

The changes to the base vehicle are not something that they can do anything to avoid either. The use of smart alternators and regenerative braking mean that a traditional split charge circuit will not work, so they have to change to a battery-to-battery system. And the use of CAN networks to cut down on wiring means that they have to implement CAN in their own systems.

And because - as I understand it - A/S are committed to using a pre-assembled, pre-approved electrical system, they can't do this by just adding extra boxes. Hence they have to go with ever more complex pre-made systems such as the ones from Sargent.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:07 pm

I agree with Roopert, whatever those of us born in the analogue era think, the digital content is only going to increase in these vehicles. 

Let's hope the relevant lessons are being learned from the introduction of more complex systems to both the base vehicle and the habitation electronics. This industry has got 15 years, possibly less given the politics, to get its act together before all-electric vans become the only option for buying a new motorhome.  And with them, a whole new set of interfaces to keep Sargent, AS and many others busy.

I'll be 75 then, so probably won't be an early adopter!

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Andyhardie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:34 pm

rogerblack wrote:That's another reason why we've just spent over £5k on our 2002 Pollensa base vehicle . . .

That is £5k cheaper than part exchanging it for another camper of the same year and same value . .

Stay near a big motorhome dealer, and at going-home time you can watch all the salesmen driving out the gate in their Aston Martins, Jaguars and Range Rovers. Where do you think they get the money from? People who don't spend £5k keeping their loved campers on the road, that's where.
I will take a cupboard front with me to the NEC and have a gentle word with the AS rep to see if he can replace it. . . . .
gassygassy
gassygassy
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:37 pm

Peter Brown wrote:. .

Unfortunately I have to live with the blue LED's glued into the bathroom mirror......
No you don't. As you are a competent electronics engineer you are authorised and qualified to use a pair of cutters on the voltage supply wire . . up!
gassygassy
gassygassy
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:41 pm

I just don't switch them on.... unless I want to intrigue a neighbouring camper!
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:32 pm

I agree the sentiment expressed here but not when it comes to the use of technology to enhance security.  If we can have an alarm that protects a home, its occupants and contents and has connectivity to alert the police and/or owner when away from the home, we should have the same for a motorised home.  If a motorhome’s alarm or tracker is triggered, AS Monitor should send an SMS and/or e-mail alert to the owner’s mobile phone.  This allows immediate follow-up action to be taken and it provides a valuable time record for a subsequent investigation.  It is also reassuring to know that an ‘in-use’ or ‘out-of-use’ motorhome and its contents are safe if no alert is received.

Last edited by Caraman on Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : gobblygook appeared)
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:40 pm

Too late and no keyboard but my personal experience of home alarms, burglaries and consequences leads me to not bother. If they want it, they'll have it.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:23 am

Peter Brown wrote:Too late and no keyboard but my personal experience of home alarms, burglaries and consequences leads me to not bother. If they want it, they'll have it.
An interesting laissez faire view on security.  We wouldn't leave a loaded car unattended even though most have alarms yet we do it all the time with motorhomes.  Our No 1 concern is the motorhome being broken into to steal its contents and our No 2 concern is the motorhome itself being stolen.  Anything we can do to make it harder for the criminal gets my vote.

Last edited by Caraman on Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:58 am

Peter Brown wrote:Too late and no keyboard but my personal experience of home alarms, burglaries and consequences leads me to not bother. If they want it, they'll have it.
And with my experience of the Police I wouldn't bother either. A) the Police don't exist and B) they aren't interested, even if you can contact them.
I saw a neighbour's house being broken into and dialled 999. An hour and a half later a Policeman came round and told me off for ringing 999 to report a burglary. His actual words were "Burglary is not much of a crime, we are not interested. You mustn't ring 999 to report a burglary". So when later I was in my house and someone was shooting at my windows and breaking the frames I tried to call the local Police station number, not 999 because of course shooting at people's houses isn't much of a crime. The phone wasn't answered and they didn't have an answering machine so I sent them a Fax. A week and a day later someone came round and claimed that it must be the 87 year old lady in 'that house over there' shooting through a 6ft thick, 8ft high hedge, and who has a magic gun that will make its bullets turn through 60 degrees after it had left the barrel. Idiot. They knew perfectly well who was doing the shooting but were too afraid to go and knock on the door and arrest them. Nothing was done and the Chief Constable of Leicestershire replied to a complaining letter from me and from my MP just spouting statistics of how crime levels have gone down and isn't he doing a wonderful job. No wonder crime levels are going down, nobody reports them because they know nothing will be done.
The only place the Police exist is at the viewing station of speed cameras. Commit an offence that they can take money off you for, and do it using a camera and not a person, and you will get done. Other than that forget them. You can shoot at people's houses, you can do burglary and nothing will be done. But do 35mph in a 30 zone and you will pay dearly for it.
When did anyone ever take any notice of a car alarm going off? On the occasions when for some reason I have accidentally pressed or not pressed the right button and my alarm screams around the neighbourhood, does anyone come and investigate? Do the Police arrive five minutes later? I leave you to guess the answer.
The only preventative measure, and the most effective, and the cheapest method of securing your motorhome is to wire in a secret switch somewhere that disables the engine. And preferably the same switch fires up an EHT generator that feeds 40,000v to a thin wire running round the steering wheel rim, and another to a metal spike sticking up in the centre of the driver's seat squab.
gassygassy
gassygassy
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:22 am

gassygassy - you have clearly had some bad experiences and I am sorry for that but whether the police get involved or not, I would like to know when my motorhome is being broken into and if it is being stolen, which today's technology can deliver with ease on the smart mobile phones that most of us now have.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:38 am

Yes that's a point. But you have to have all the tech and it has to be working. For exmple I had an electric car. I went to a motorway service station to recharge it. The charger wasn't working. A notice said 'in case of difficulty phone this number . . . .' The number wasn't answered and they didn't have an answering machine. "The office is open 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday". so outside of those hours no one can report that an electric charging point is not working. That was the high tech electric charging machine company. I had to drive home down the motorway at 30mph, which I can testify is not funny. Later, they changed the costing procedure for the charging machines. Now you have to have a) a smart mobile phone, b) a signal, c)charge in the phone, d) the app to pay for the electricity e) the knowledge of how to get an app and use it as well as f) an electric charger that is actually working. Another one I stopped at had been stolen and another one was also broken.
The other way of not having your vehicle stolen is to drive one like that in my avatar. :)
gassygassy
gassygassy
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:21 pm

I fitted a tkstar tracker in my van it text me if motion senser or ring fence is activated uses a payg simm .no Fee's .not foolproof but what is ?.
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:34 pm

If my van is stolen, I have no intention of chasing after it and coming face to face with those responsible. In majority of cases, I believe the van will be parked up somewhere whilst the perpetrators wait to see if fitted with a tracker. I have put in a simple tracker (marketed for dementia sufferers to track them if they wander off), I send it a text, it replies by text with a Google map showing location. Tracker cost me £16 off eBay, pay as you go sim costs 20p per text. Tracker lasts around 18 days between charges. It doesn't tell me when it is stolen but as it's parked on my drive, I can see if it's missing by looking out of the window.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:48 pm

Paul- you say the tracker lasts 18 days between charges. Can't you keep it connected to the engine battery volts so as to not need recharging?

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:27 pm

Probably but that would probably be easy to find and be ripped out. Its no big deal to get it and charge it, its only on the drive. It will probably last about 23 days, it sends a text when battery down to 20% which is about after 18 days.
 I know thieves have jammers for tracker signals but that can only work when they stay in the van. Once they leave it I can get a text from it.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next