The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Water Filler Cap (with hose connector)

+4
Crystalvoyager
paul bullock
rogerblack
mikeyval
8 posters

Go down

Water Filler Cap (with hose connector) Empty Water Filler Cap (with hose connector)

Post by mikeyval Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:40 am

Asking about these water filler caps / some claim to be universal and yet reading reviews on Amazon
some buyers are distinctly unimpressed.

Some cost around £10 - and the much hyped HEOSolution cap anything up to £25.
Any thoughts / advice appreciated.
Thanks
Mikeyval

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Water Filler Cap (with hose connector) Empty Re: Water Filler Cap (with hose connector)

Post by rogerblack Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:04 pm

I got one of those from Amazon (at the time it was £16.95 but now seems to have gone up to £19.95) and it seems to work just fine, although I've not done any serious camping since buying it. It means you can fill up without needing two pairs of hands, especially if the tap isn't within reach of the filler hole.  I used to use a piece of foam pipe insulation to hold the hose but it wasn't very effective especially if the water pressure was quite high, this is a good fit and means I can connect the hose then leave it in place and go work at the tap end.

It came with a set of different inserts, presumably designed to cope with different format of filling hole connections.

The inner tube has an angled termination and it's best to have this facing downwards to aid flow.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Water Filler Cap (with hose connector) Empty Re: Water Filler Cap (with hose connector)

Post by paul bullock Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:23 pm

Hi, yes they are a good help ,have used them on all 3 of my M/Hs ,but be aware that there are 2 different sizes , the standard one used by most M/Hs (which my Hymer & Pilote were) and the Fiamma type as used in my Nuevo ,which is much smaller in diameter ,they do work well . Regards     Paul
paul bullock
paul bullock
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Crystalvoyager Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:14 pm

I fitted the cheaper version (about £12 ebay) two summers ago. I didn't see the point in spending twice as much for the HEO version when it does the same thing. I also bought cheap as I wasn't sure it would work, with the intention of changing back if I had to. 18 months on and I'm still using it and grateful for not having the faff of having to unlock the cap then trying to hold a pipe in place while the tank fills with water. Only downside is it only came in blue which doesn't go with anything else on the van exterior.
Crystalvoyager
Crystalvoyager

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by Alwaysurfing Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:43 pm

Adds another fill option to the many available

My most used option funnel and 5l botttle.....!
Alwaysurfing
Alwaysurfing

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Corinium
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:03 pm

Crystalvoyager wrote:I fitted the cheaper version (about £12 ebay) two summers ago. I didn't see the point in spending twice as much for the HEO version when it does the same thing. I also bought cheap as I wasn't sure it would work, with the intention of changing back if I had to. 18 months on and I'm still using it and grateful for not having the faff of having to unlock the cap then trying to hold a pipe in place while the tank fills with water. Only downside is it only came in blue which doesn't go with anything else on the van exterior.

I still fit the (white) locking cap except when filling. I only use the HEOSolution cap when I'm actually filling the tank using a hose, so the colour isn't an issue for me.  I wouldn't have thought of leaving it fitted all the time as a. it has an opening which would allow dirt, insects etc to get in and b. it could easily be removed, either to be pinched or worse to allow goodness knows what to be put into the tank by miscreants, which is why the original caps have locks.

I also use a 10l container for quick top ups and I made up an angled adaptor to use as a funnel when topping up this way so I have both hands free to lift and tilt the container. The same container is then stored in the van filled with fresh water to use for drinking water, also when the onboard tank is emptied for travelling/winter.

I used to carry a 25l container with a folding trolley and submersible transfer pump but that took up too much room, plus making a few extra journeys carrying the 10l keeps me fit.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:30 pm

I lost a couple of filler caps in a month, left them on the bike rack. Not wanting to pay silly money for another filler cap I found a cap with a hole for the lock barrel on line very cheaply. I then superglued a hoselock male fitting in hole for the lock barrel. Having removed the bike rack I hadn’t so far lost another cap, putting the cap in my pocket is safer.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:19 pm

I tie a length of string to the key of my locking water filler cap; I tie the other end to the inside of the skirt locker (which I must open to get hose; screw-in cap etc). When I need to fill, I use the key and leave it in the removed cap, which I put temporarily in the open locker whilst I fill. No danger of losing cap, or key. 

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:05 am

The isssue of loosing caps was odd. I would always loose the locking cap at home filling the tank before we left home. I usually lost the filling cap with the hose adapter on sites. Some were there must be a trail of caps on the road. Now management is retired she helps with getting the van ready so I can blame her for loosing things.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:45 pm

I have one of those used it in the Amethyst, brilliant, I can empty the toilet while filling up with water.unfortunately will not fit in the Hampshire, some are two lugs and some are three, so have to buy another one.

Mine was £24 at the time as that was the only one available, it is very good and works.

Last edited by daisy mae on Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Last sentence.)

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down