The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Removed microwave to build a media cupboard

+3
gassygassy
Dbvwt
Alwaysurfing
7 posters

Go down

Removed microwave to build a media cupboard  Empty Removed microwave to build a media cupboard

Post by Alwaysurfing Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:43 pm

Hi, I’m removing the never used onion and potato storage unit and using the 240v skt behind the microwave to feed my computer, hard disk, iPhone iPad chargers as a media cupboard.

Have tv and sound bar on the bulkhead with its satellite and 12v power skts behind it so looks really cool from the front as no cables visible.

Just wondering what to put on the front as a door... anyone have any idea’s.....
Alwaysurfing
Alwaysurfing

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Corinium
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Removed microwave to build a media cupboard  Empty Re: Removed microwave to build a media cupboard

Post by Dbvwt Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:33 pm

I'm not sure if it would work for your setup but I removed my microwave and fitted a tambour door in the opening. I was very pleased with the end result.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Removed microwave to build a media cupboard  Empty Re: Removed microwave to build a media cupboard

Post by gassygassy Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:13 pm

Onion and potato storage unit? Surely that is a cake and bread storage unit? Are you sure you have got the right box?
As for the microwave, that has never been used and it is 5 years old now. If it wasn't such a useful cupboard it would be in the loft.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1 Bourton 1 Polensa
Vehicle Year : various

Back to top Go down

Post by justlooking Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:36 pm

Our Kemerton XL was just over a year old when we bought it and the microwave would only work on the “pizza” button. Asked AS to fix at our first (Year 2) hab check but they declined as they warranted most of the electrical fittings for one year only. 
Actually as long as it worked on any setting it could be used, but it was galling that the warranty was so short. Also as we got used to the van we found that the height of the microwave in the van meant that (for my wife) removing anything liquid that she’d heated was a bit of a hazard, so it was used more and more as a bread store. 
Having said that, for us, we prefer a microwave to an oven, so if were to self specify the fittings in our next van, we’d substitute the oven position under the hob for a microwave.
justlooking
justlooking

Male

Auto-Sleeper : IH 630 RL
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:02 pm

They are all ludicrously / dangerously high, aren't they? I'm amazed nobody has filed an injury claim yet. We use both the microwave and the oven in our van. Not sure we could manage without either now :)

@Alwaysurfing any chance of some pictures of your mods??

RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Stanway
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:10 am

My microwave doesn't have an LPG setting so I can't use it.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:31 am

gassygassy wrote:My microwave doesn't have an LPG setting so I can't use it.
I search every show for a gas powered microwave but never find one.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:07 am

What I really want is a gas powered induction hob.
I had a gas powered Subaru but modern fuel injection systems don't like trying to push vapourised gas through injectors in their fractions of a thousanth of a second opening time.
What I really really want is a sea powered motorhome.
 . . trouble is, I would have to keep going to the seaside! tap_fingers

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:47 pm

gassygassy wrote:What I really want is a gas powered induction hob.
I had a gas powered Subaru but modern fuel injection systems don't like trying to push vapourised gas through injectors in their fractions of a thousanth of a second opening time.
What I really really want is a sea powered motorhome.
 . . trouble is, I would have to keep going to the seaside! tap_fingers
Nah, what we need is a 'rain-powered' motorhome, run forever in the UK. hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:00 pm

And no searching for a tap, either. Just a filter funnel on the roof, with a tube leading to the water tank.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:05 pm

RogerThat wrote:They are all ludicrously / dangerously high, aren't they?   I'm amazed nobody has filed an injury claim yet.  We use both the microwave and the oven in our van. Not sure we could manage without either now :)

@Alwaysurfing any chance of some pictures of your mods??

Yes, we too have noticed that in most cases they are 'up high', I just did the opposite, the tv cupboard was near the floor, way too low to be useful, but as the cupboard for it already had power, I decided to shove in a microwave, OK, a bit low, but its much safer that way!!
No 'ordinary' microwave would fit, due to the tambour sliding door running round the back, but managed to find the 'Hotpoint-curve' unit, fits in as though made for A/S!!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down