The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nuevo water pump

+5
Page Turner
kaspian
rgermain
Paulmold
Alan Berry
9 posters

Go down

Nuevo water pump Empty Nuevo water pump

Post by Alan Berry Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:01 pm

I am trying to locate the water pump on a 2011 Nuevo. I have traced the pipework under the wardrobe and can`t find where it could be going to a pump. The pressure switch is on the side wall and that has 12volts to it whereas I would have thought it would be just a live and a switch wire. The reason I`m trying to locate the pump is because it switches on frequently when no taps turned on and if pump supply switched off at night, so it doesn`t wake us up, when turned on again pump runs for quite a while and lots of air in the hot water. I can`t find any sign of a leak and have checked all the push fit connections except on the shower. The book says it`s on the floor under the wardrobe.
Alan Berry
Alan Berry

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Nuevo water pump Empty Re: Nuevo water pump

Post by Paulmold Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:14 pm

If you have a pressure switch then you have a submersible pump inside your tank. Surface pumps such as Shurflo or Flojet have the pressure switch built in the pump.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Berry Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:59 pm

Thanks. That explains it,so that can't be a source of a leak
Alan Berry
Alan Berry

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:23 pm

Alan Berry wrote:Thanks. That explains it,so that can't be a source of a leak

Could have a leak to bathroom taps etc behind panels.

We always turn our pump off at night and always have done since our first van and caravan many years ago. We only found it ran for a second or so, just keeping up pressure I suppose and you don't really need it on at night anyway. Never had a long run though like you report.
Annoying and hope you find the problem before damp sets in.
------------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Berry Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:48 pm

Yes have checked bathroom tap connections. Only one left is the shower but thought there would be some evidence if it were there. Everything dry under wardrobe where most of the joints are.
Alan Berry
Alan Berry

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:14 pm

Maybe you just need to alter your pressure switch by the tiniest amount, but which way?

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:42 pm

Alan , if no visible signs of a leak exist in the system pipework check on the input side of the pressure switch,  if a Whale make  there could be a one way valve . This is put there as the submersible pump itself is no barrier to reverse flow.   If this has crud or grit not allowing it to close completely water will drain from the system back into the water tank over time , effectively a leak but not one you can see as the water simply returns to the tank.
     The valve is under a moulding held by a couple of stainless screws on the inlet side of the switch. ie from the tank. Easy to remove and clean out. It is just a small rubber disc held by spring pressure. This may cure your problem as overnight water will drain back into the tank requiring a hot water system prime you are experiencing on switch on in the morning.
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : WARWICK XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Berry Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:26 pm

Ah! You read my thoughts. Having been told it was a submersible pump I looked up pumps on Leisure shop and the description of a Reich twin submersible said it had a non return valve. Don't know if this is the type AS fit but can't see any valve by the pressure switch. Water leaking back to the tank certainly seems to be most likely
Alan Berry
Alan Berry

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:42 pm

Alan Berry wrote:Ah! You read my thoughts. Having been told it was a submersible pump I looked up pumps on Leisure shop and the description of a Reich twin submersible said it had a non return valve. Don't know if this is the type AS fit but can't see any valve by the pressure switch. Water leaking back to the tank certainly seems to be most likely
AS use Whale pumps .

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:06 pm

I dont think A/s have used Reich , normally Whale submersibles. The valve is under the input spigot of the flow switch behind  the stainless screws holding the spigit on .  Not obvious as it is small. Can you post picture of your switch?
kaspian

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Berry Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:25 pm

Thanks. Will try for a pic tomorrow
Alan Berry
Alan Berry

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Page Turner Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:43 pm

Not sure you need to know where the pump itself is, just the location of the pressure switch.  Our water pump has been coming on for a few seconds roughly hourly since we’ve had the van.   I read on here that adjusting the pressure switch may solve the problem but that it was difficult to get right and we were worried we’d make it even worse if we tried.  However, hubby decided to take the bull by the horns while we were away last week and tweaked it.  Not one false startup since!  Our switch is under the bench seat, and we keep our bedding in there so we were a bit concerned that the bedding might move the switch and start the problem again.  Solution - we put an inverted empty ice cream tub (with bits cut out to accommodate pipework) over the switch which protects it from accidental tweakage smile!
Page Turner
Page Turner

Female

Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Berry Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:07 am

Hi Kaspian,
Couldn't manage to get a pic on but definitely no valve near the pressure switch. I did read that the pressure switch acts as a non return valve? It would be easy to fit one if necessary. Interesting about adjusting the pressure switch but it seems in my case that the pump needs to come on fairly regularly to keep the system topped up
Alan Berry
Alan Berry

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by marconi Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:11 pm

View this video [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
marconi
marconi

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:31 pm

If you are a ASOC member, a few issues ago  in the magazine a tech item on the pressure switch showed a complete breakdown picture of the parts
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Berry Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:55 pm

Thanks for the video tip. So there is a nrv on the pressure switch. Will investigate that but  going away shortly so will wait till I get back incase parts needed. Thanks everyone for your help
Alan Berry
Alan Berry

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:48 pm

Hi Alan thats what I have been saying all along , it is behind the input side spigot that takes the hose from the tank ( on the switch) . There is no separate valve . A couple of minutes to check at most.
kaspian

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:50 pm

Alan,

With my 2019 Nuevo, if whilst the water pump is switched off the hot water pressure drops, all 10 litres of water in the Combi drains back through the systems NRVs into the freshwater tank over a period of 3 to 4 hours and certainly overnight.  The drop in water pressure can be caused by:

1.  A leak which might be very small and therefore difficult to detect.  I had a very small drip coming out of the Truma drop valve which was contributing to the pump to coming on for about 4 seconds every 15 minutes or so.

2.  An open hot water tap or one that isn't completely closed.  My shower mixer tap was very sensitive to this.  If it wasn't completely pressed home it leaked a tiny bit and it wasn't noticed because of the shower pipe and any drips going into the shower tray under the mat and then the waste water tank.

3.  A drop in water temperature.

4.  NRVs that are failing to stop water flowing back though them.  Whale has told me that this will only happen with the NRV in their pressure switch if it is contaminated with debris.  Mine wasn't checked for debris.  Instead it was replaced with a new one and it still allows depressurised water to pass back through it into the fresh water tank.  Its even more remarkable than this as the depressurised hot water flows back through two other NRVs as well - one on the inlet side of the Truma drop valve and an NRV placed between the pressure switch and submersible pump by the dealer who didn't know that the pressure switch had an NRV.  I have discussed this with two other AS owners with the same Whale water system.  Both did the same experiment - pressurise the water system, switch the pump off and then open a hot tap to depressurise it, leave it overnight and then switch the pump back on in the morning.  One reported the same as me that all the water had drained out of their Combi back into their fresh water tank and the other that their NRVs had stopped this from happening.

The irritation of my pump coming on periodically for 4 seconds of clicking and whining, with all the taps tuned off, continues and we continue to switch the pump off overnight which among other things stops the toilet flush from working.  We have found that if the water heater is switched off, especially if it was previously on boost or hot, or it automatically reverts from boost to eco, the water pump comes on much more frequently.  We even found that an overnight drop in ambient temperature after the water heater had been off all day was sufficient to make the pump come on at least once during the night.  My previous three caravans didn't do this and the last one had a pressurised water system albeit with a diaphragm pump.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:40 am

My solution, as soon as I found out that the Nuevo and presumably all other A/S motorhomes had a Whale submersible was simply to chuck out the Whale pressure switch and fit a Shurflo pump, which pumps properly and has a built in pressure switch and nr valve. Just leave the Whale submersible in place, the Shruflo will suck water through it. Also I re-routed all the plumbing under the bench seat to make more room, and relocated the leisure battery to make more room. Mine is a 2015 model, I think they must have moved plumbing around over the years, but as I got it, the way they did the plumbing and the battery seemed to make no sense to me, either from the user point of view or from the manufacturing process point of view.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1 Bourton 1 Polensa
Vehicle Year : various

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:03 am

Gassygassy,

Out of interest did you fit a Shurflow water filter strainer/filter to your Shurflow pump or just rely on the redundant Whale pump’s strainer?  Similarly did you fit an accumulator with the Shurflow?  I have read they are not necessary.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard G Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:36 pm

Alan Berry wrote:I am trying to locate the water pump on a 2011 Nuevo. I have traced the pipework under the wardrobe and can`t find where it could be going to a pump. The pressure switch is on the side wall and that has 12volts to it whereas I would have thought it would be just a live and a switch wire. The reason I`m trying to locate the pump is because it switches on frequently when no taps turned on and if pump supply switched off at night, so it doesn`t wake us up, when turned on again pump runs for quite a while and lots of air in the hot water. I can`t find any sign of a leak and have checked all the push fit connections except on the shower. The book says it`s on the floor under the wardrobe.
Had the same problem with my Nuevo 2009.
It was the sink tap, took out sink,removed tap, but also replaced the filter cartridge which is accessible by removing lever only with allen key access remove the red/blue plug on front.

My original was a 2008 filter. New one cost £14.00

Sold the van a week later. Got another Nuevo, this one is a 2015 version.
Richard G
Richard G

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down