The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hi There

5 posters

Go down

Hi There Empty Hi There

Post by DuxDeluxe Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:47 pm

Hi, everyone,

Haven't actually got it yet but we should be picking up a Broadway EK Crown from Ipswich on May 6th. Trading up from a 2006 Lunar. The "should be" bit depends upon me getting my V5 back from putting the private plate on retention in time - it went off on monday so will probably be OK.

We like the build quality and the small design features plus the 3 litre motor on the Al-Ko chassis which is what swung it for us. Look forward to being on here; some of you might recognise the user name from elsewhere. Now off to California for a three week holiday!! hugegrins

See you around
DuxDeluxe
DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway Crown

Back to top Go down

Hi There Empty Re: Hi There

Post by CC Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:40 pm

group_welcome

Welcome to the forum DuxDeluxe

How envious am I of you going to California for a three week holiday undecided

Have fun Hi-Five

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by DuxDeluxe Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:59 pm

.....which is followed by picking up the new van, 3 days at home and a three week business trip to Asia....... returning from Korea 26th May - off first thing on 27th to Coniston in the new van. And no, business travel isn't great - I just lie back and think of the BA miles........ winks

Cheers - I'll be around
DuxDeluxe
DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dago Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:17 pm

Welcome DuxDeluxe,

You'll find a lot of MHF on here bow

Recently spent 6 weeks waiting for my plate to be transfered onto the new van.
Ended up going into local DVLA in Brighton to get V5 form changed ( hoping to speed up the process).
Despite sending everything to the Brighton office. All the paperwork had previously been sent via Swansea 1 bit at a time!!
Caused a bit of an expense changing Insurance cover back & forth between the registration numbers, as I kept getting false promises from DVLA about when I should receive all the paperwork back.

Happily it's all resolved now.

Hope your experiance is less fraught.

Pier Cottage at Coniston is a great site, right on the waters edge where Bluebird was based. But no electric hook up though ( last time we were there , anyway).

Enjoy
Dago
Dago
Super Donator & ASOF Supporter

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : 2007 Executive
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by DuxDeluxe Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:08 pm

Just back from Coniston where I had an extremely wet weekend watching my beloved sailing dinghy being thrashed to within an inch of it's life in very high winds by the team that have loaned it for the year....... It was great!

The van drives beautifully and was very comfy. Everything worked and only a couple of minor niggles. Stayed at Coniston Hall campsite as it is only a very short stagger from the sailing club.
DuxDeluxe
DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dago Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:22 pm

Glas you had a good time at Coniston hugegrins What dinghy is it? Down here on the South Coast we didn't get out at all as it was 30+ in the gusts smile! I have an RS400, however It's a challange sometimes, trying to fit racing in with motorhoming.

Peter
Dago
Dago

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DuxDeluxe Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:14 pm

Got an Osprey - new(ish) hartley built one. Decided some time ago to stay symmetric with a wire and never regretted getting an Osprey - new boats are really well built and with a superb layout. Sadly after a major back operation last year, I am unable to sail this year and so I lent my boat to one of the others in the fleet - he finished 2nd at the weekend. Saturday and sunday it blew between 25 and 30 knots, less on Sunday and sod all on monday. Only a few bits broke but it was really distressing watching everyone thrash around having a huge amount of fun. Rob actually told me afterwards that it was windier at Kielder two weeks before and for the first time in his life he pitchpoled a dinghy - mine! on a reservoir! No worries - just glad he used old sails.....

If you ever fancy some symmetrical fun, it is worth trying. Great crowd, completely vice free boat and very high standard of racing. Tows nicely behind the van (not this one - haven't fitted a towbar yet) and quite a number of the fleet have motorhomes. We turn Burnham week RCYC camping area into Camp Osprey - a bit like Guantanamo but without the sense of style
DuxDeluxe
DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dago Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:41 pm

Prior to the RS, I sailed 505 for many years & then an FD, until 2000, (as well as a Lark, with my wife to be). Unfortunately there weren't many Symmetrical kite boats at Eastbourne by then, as most of the younger guys were into 49er's, 800's and Iso's.
Me & my crew were the wrong side of 50 for those antics lol4 And having spent almost 20 years together, he decided at 62 to pack up sailing. So I got hold of an RS 400 to give this Assymetric sailing a go, which Mr's D & I sailed. Just changed it for an almost new 400 in February.
Had to get a towbar fitted to the Executive, but as there isn't anything of substance under the rear end, it was quite a pricey bit of kit to get installed.
Dago
Dago

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DuxDeluxe Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:23 am

If you're an old 505 sailor, then you'll know Mike Arnold from "Wouldn't it" (and possibly Derek Clark - I used to crew for him and we were at school together)..... just spent half the weekend listening to him trying to sell me a boat. He developed the Alto from a 505 hull and failed to convince me it was anything other than yet another skiff..... hadn't seen Mike for about 30 years.

I quite like RS400's - good bit of (relatively) cheap speed and certainly a prime choice for an asymmetric. Very competitive fleet, which I like to see, though a certain Mr Craig tends to lead everyone around.

The normal broadway isn't recommended for towing for some reason but mine is on the Al-Ko chassis and has a good towing capability plus the towbar is fairly simple to bolt on - certainly a good economic proposition.

Cheers!

Edit - just uploaded the avatar of us at Mount's Bay - just recovering from falling off a big wave; the other pictures of my poor crew being tea-bagged were simply too embarrassing. You may have seen this picture in yachts and yachting some time ago
DuxDeluxe
DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbieroy Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:39 pm

Hi DuxDeluxe
A warm welcome to the forum
Rob
Robbieroy
Robbieroy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dago Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:05 pm

Hi DuxDeluxe

Sorry to have not responded sooner. Been away celbrating 19 years,or it it 61 hugegrins
I knew of Mike but never met him. Interestingly enough when Assymetrics came along only the ISO was single wire, but having tried one Brian & I were not convinced.
We had already put down a deposit for a Laser 5000 as it had been designed by Phil Morrison (fellow sailor friend way back in the 60's when we were both at Pevensey).
When the first boats became available I went for a trial sail at Datchet & my 'crew' was Derek. bow
My son will say that I was in awe of my crew.

But I know that that 's when I realise trapesing & helming were not my strong points.
I think I managed to dunk Derek at least twice in about 1/2 hours sailing cold

He was, as always a Gentleman, but we didn't proceed in the purchase.

It's only when Mike produced the Alto, that anyone has responed to the question of 26 stone+ on an assymetric dinghy. Sadly it's too late for Brian & I.
I did the Bloody Mary this year and was pleased that when sailing alongside an Alto, we were about the same speed, given how gusty the conditions were.
Mind you the foiling Moths are something else!! celebrate1

Why weren't these type of craft about when we were 20 odd rolleyes
Dago
Dago

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DuxDeluxe Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:30 pm

Small world, isn't it? I had forgotten that Derek was one of the designers as well. He had a hand in the 4000 also. The one thing about the Alto was that you could sit in it - just! The trouble is that there are far too many niche classes around nowadays which dilutes the Market. A good class like the 400 is worth sticking with. My class next open meeting in Poole should get about 30 boats which ain't bad. Normally get 15-20.
DuxDeluxe
DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by VRH Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:36 pm

Hello Duxdeluxe and welcome to the forum.

VRH wave
VRH
VRH

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum