The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First motorhome finally purchased!

4 posters

Go down

First motorhome finally purchased! Empty First motorhome finally purchased!

Post by pagetheoracle Mon May 20, 2019 4:15 pm

Hi folks. Having threatened to do it on a few occasions I’ve only gone and bought one after I’ve spent several months looking. Naturally the advice on here was invaluable. The pension pot has truly been raided! I am sure my basic questions have been dealt with on here before for which I apologise for my ignorance in advance  but any help or guidance would be warmly appreciated. 

1. CAT1 thatcham alarm... the insurers are asking whether my 67 plate Broadway has one ...I think it has a HAL Locate tracker which I’m guessing would be worth re activating (at a cost)  in addition to the vehicle immobiliser..but not sure if there is a separate alarm?

2. Chunky transponder key...I’m hoping that I should have been given one of these and one additional non transponder key only. There are 2 sets of 4 different keys as well..one of which opens the gab door?

3. Mud flaps (rear)... I’ve got underneath it and there doesn’t appear to be a lot of protection to the underfloor area after the wheel arches and muck from the road seems to cover pipes, chassis and the step moulding. Does the forum believe rear mud flaps is an essential item and is there a downside? Any one know where to get a good set from. I’m guessing  they shouldn’t be too hard to fit but I might be wrong.

Lots of things are stretching my brain but any light shed  on any of the above will definitely help. Thankyou and kind regards.
pagetheoracle
pagetheoracle

Male

Auto-Sleeper : AS Malvern
Vehicle Year : New 2022

Back to top Go down

First motorhome finally purchased! Empty Re: First motorhome finally purchased!

Post by groundhog Mon May 20, 2019 7:57 pm

congratulations on buying your new van,have many happy hours in her/him!
Not best placed to answer your specific questions but sure someone who is will be along soon!!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Eribiste Wed May 22, 2019 10:50 pm

Nice bus, pagetheoracle. Is your Broadway a rear kitchen version with the habitation door behind the rear wheel? If so, I advise putting additional mud flaps onto the existing ones to help keep the entry step a bit cleaner. You'll also want some Fiamma front mud flaps to help keep the lower body mouldings  aft of the front wheels a bit more spic and span. The extension flaps at the rear need bolt holes to be made through the existing flaps to hang the new flaps on. A bit of grubbing around on the ground on a Saturday morning to do this job, but technically easy. I bought the flaps from one of the (I forget which) motorhome accessory retailers. It might have been Leisure Outlet. As alluded to, the front flaps are fancy as they are moulded to fit, but the rears are just inexpensive squares of black rubber with a metal mounting strip.

I carry six square pads of 19mm ply about 150mm on a side to put under the rear corner steadies. We also have a pair of Milenco triple ramps for levelling on site.

You're right about the keys; one electronic job and a plain one for the Peugeot bit, and a party compendium selection pack of keys for the various lockable hatches. Ten years ago we had an S class Hymer which needed only two keys, one for the MB ignition and the other did all the hatches. How hard can it be....? 

Enjoy your bus, we love ours.
Eribiste
Eribiste

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by pagetheoracle Thu May 23, 2019 1:49 pm

Eribiste, I appreciate you taking the time to reply and will implement your advice. I bought privately so don’t have the backup from a dealer which makes tips and tricks so valuable. Mine is the end bathroom model so the kitchen is on the near side behind the wheel arch. I Unscrewed the 2 little air vents  in the foot well/ step and despite it only having done 5000 miles it looked seriously mucked up. Agreed on the Fiamma front flaps. So relieved on the keys..thanks! 
Cat 1 alarm...spoke to Autosleepers technical support yesterday and mine doesnt have one but it does have the Hal locate tracker. For insurance I’m told it needs one or the other but I’ve read varying reports on the Hal locate system where people have to text to deactivate etc. It’s £260 for 2 years subscription which seems a bit expensive but they organise recovery if the blighters nick it. I’ve got 28 days to sort it! (5  or 6 keys to run a motorhome does sound ridiculous!,) kind regards
pagetheoracle
pagetheoracle

Male

Back to top Go down

First motorhome finally purchased! Empty First MH

Post by pjonesf1 Thu May 23, 2019 8:29 pm

Hi Pagethoracle,

I have the same van but mine is a 66 plate. The forward vent you mentioned at the rear step has caused a problem allowing water to enter. I complained about water ingress and had mudflaps fitted under warranty. Typically, I don't think I have been caught in rains since so they work well smile!

Good luck with the van and enjoy it
pjonesf1
pjonesf1

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by pagetheoracle Thu May 23, 2019 9:32 pm

First MH... many thanks for that..I did think it strange ..the mud had dried behind the vent and when I took it off it covered the step. I’ve been under the van at the back and the rear wheel road spray has ‘caked it on’ the concertina heating pipe. Thankfully, you have confirmed my suspicions, and together with Eribistes help  too I will sort it. Good service from AS if they did it under warranty. I’ve just paid the £120 ‘admin fee’ to put the MH warranty in my name...just in case!!
pagetheoracle
pagetheoracle

Male

Back to top Go down