The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone fitted gas struts to bed bases?

5 posters

Go down

Anyone fitted gas struts to bed bases? Empty Anyone fitted gas struts to bed bases?

Post by moggyminor1966 Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:27 pm

Thinking of fitting gas struts to the bed bases in our Nuevo II EK. Wondered if anyone has done this to ease lifting as the fitted rods do not lift it high enough. Would it need 2 or just 1 per side? If so can you advise length of strut required and where I can obtain this.
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Anyone fitted gas struts to bed bases? Empty Gas struts

Post by murph Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:49 pm

Hi Moggy,
You gave me an idea, but on looking at our Lancashire EK ES the existing mechanisim moves it forward as well as upward and gas struts and hinges would mean drastic rubbing of the upolstery,

Brian
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Anyone fitted gas struts to bed bases? Empty Anyone fitted gas strut to bed bases

Post by burlingtonboaby Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:53 pm

moggyminor1966 wrote:Thinking of fitting gas struts to the bed bases in our Nuevo II EK. Wondered if anyone has done this to ease lifting as the fitted rods do not lift it high enough. Would it need 2 or just 1 per side? If so can you advise length of strut required and where I can obtain this.

Hi Mogg
Sorry I carn't help you with this, I have the ES version, perhaps Cruz might be able to help, or someone with bench seats.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Anyone fitted gas struts to bed bases? Empty Re: Anyone fitted gas struts to bed bases?

Post by modelman Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:27 pm

I don't have a lift-up unit in my van, but I would love to have one to modify hugegrins

I would suggest lifting up the unit from one side & see if it twists or distorts, if it does, then one stut is no good, as it will soon break apart.

One strut each side (exactly opposite each other) to ensure an even-smooth operation, I recently changed the pair on the tail-gate on the car, & although too weak to keep the tailgate up, they would be well up to lifting a base-unit in the van, quite simple to work out the positions as well, but they produce a fair old pressure, so you must provide strong mounts each end, I would suggest bolt-through rather than surface screwing, or alternatively fix each ball-end to a plate to spread the load on the bed frame.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Anyone fitted gas struts to bed bases? Empty Re: Anyone fitted gas struts to bed bases?

Post by CC Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:25 pm

That would be a really good idea Moggy.. lost count of the number of times I've been putting stuff in or out of the bed base and the seat has crashed down on my bonce so angry

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down