The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Frame and Tow bar

3 posters

Go down

A Frame and Tow bar Empty A Frame and Tow bar

Post by chrisk Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:11 pm

After searching for a company to fit a A frame and tow bar, quotes were from companies up north i found to expensive then i found this company [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] i contacted the local approved fitter a Andrew Bee based down in Dorset who covered Kent, told him what i wanted and got a good price for both items fitted at my home. He never needed photos of underside of MH, turned up today fitted the tow bar and A frame well pleased with the service highly recommend him. He also does Air Suspension which i will get him to do later.

The company covers most of uk.
chrisk
chrisk
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Berkshire
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

A Frame and Tow bar Empty Re: A Frame and Tow bar

Post by Gromit Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:48 pm

Hi Chris

In case you are already aware from previous posts that I'm not a fan of Caratow I won't pretend otherwise, but that's another story and more to do with the weight and size of their A-Frame. We all have our preferences, eh?  smile!

I am a big fan of A-Frames however, since we could not possibly have a trailer in our situation, and an A-Frame is so much more convenient in many ways! May I offer you a couple of hints - assuming you are new to the game?

Get a guard to fit under the tow ball, or you may run the hitch of the A-Frame into the back of your van. It's easily done. This one also has a slot for your breakaway cable.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You also need two reflective triangles and (ideally) an "On Tow" sign. If the rear parcel shelf of your toad will stay up when raised vertically, get stick on triangles and a sign from eBay and fix them underneath. Then you just raise up the parcel shelf to reveal them through the rear window, and you are road legal in seconds and with no hassle.

These spring clips are ideal for changing the rear number plate on the toad. Fix them to the car, then all you do is locate the number plate in the lower hooks, bear down against the springs and clip into the top hooks. Again, very quick and easy. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hope this is useful.  smile!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisk Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:04 pm

Thanks Gromit was wondering where to put triangles on parcel shelf like that will also get the guard did not think of that. thanks again
chrisk
chrisk
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Berkshire
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:30 pm

chrisk wrote:Thanks Gromit was wondering where to put triangles on parcel shelf like that will also get the guard did not think of that. thanks again
A stripe of yellow insulating tape up the centre of the guard gives an aiming point as you or the Boss inch the car forward to hitch up.

We've also had a spare car key cut without the electronic chip. It was only a tenner at Timpsons. I then cut off most of the plastic grip, so it's obvious to any scrote looking in that it's not a fully functioning key. It will disengage the steering lock (and switch on the electrics) but it won't start the engine.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by big'nuf Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:01 pm

Im a massive fan of the car-a-tow system....used one for nearly 7 years all over UK and Europe, no problems at all.
We tow a Toyota IQ, best car we've ever towed.
We use magnetic rear lights and magnetic triangles and easy swap number plate clips on the car. All available on ebay...perfect.
big'nuf
big'nuf

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Stanton and Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2013/201

Back to top Go down