The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who would you buy from?

+15
Mrgeoffrey
daisy mae
CC
postman
Jamie D
meanchris
bikeralw
Kemerton-bath
JohnsCrossMotorhomes
Bobskate
groundhog
Dare-devil-dennis
burlingtonboaby
Paramedic
dbroada
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Who would you buy from? Empty Who would you buy from?

Post by dbroada Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:23 pm

As you may be aware, we no longer have a Nuevo sitting outside the flat. If it fails to return we will be looking for something to replace it. We are currently "browsing" for a replacement but without knowing how much insurance we might get we can't go much further.

Obviously we will buy from whever we see the van of our choice but our existing supplier, Marquis of Golden Cross (Eastbourne) will be a VERY long way down the list. Marquis have absorbed Michael Jordan Caravans of Gomshall who are quite close to us but I don't know of their reputation, either as Marquis or Jordans.

Who would you choose, and are there any places you would prefer to avoid?

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Stolen)
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Who would you buy from? Empty Re: Who would you buy from?

Post by Paramedic Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:24 pm

www.dolphinmotorhomes.co.uk can thoroughly recommend as all four of our vans purchased from them, last three of which were Autosleepers. If Southampton is not too far to travel, well worth a visit if you see one (or more of interest). Most sorry for your stolen van. Sincere regards.

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:28 pm

Don't know either of the two dealerships,however I can recommended the Southern motorhome centre at Taplow near Maidenhead.
I have dealt with them three times over several years and found them (Mike/Jack) honest and ideal to deal with.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Dare-devil-dennis Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:03 pm

We used Choose Leisure in Canterbury last October. No Complaints. AS dealers and seem to have good stock. If you are going to the NEC, they will be on the AS stand. Ask for Dominic.
Dare-devil-dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:40 pm

Shame you are not nearer Plymouth, you would change your mind about Marquis I think!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobskate Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:20 pm

I've had two vans from Dolphin. One second hand one new. I did a bit of negotiating and I think overall they seem pretty straightforward and I was treated fairly. I think they are worth a try. The habitation servicing side is ok ish......the jury is out.
Bobskate
Bobskate
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:32 pm

I've experienced buying from several of the Motorhome dealers in the UK. IMO one stands out above the rest and that is Cotswold Motorhomes. You won't get the best financial deal, but you will get the best support and aftercare when you need it,
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnsCrossMotorhomes Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:16 pm

dbroada wrote:As you may be aware, we no longer have a Nuevo sitting outside the flat. If it fails to return we will be looking for something to replace it. We are currently "browsing" for a replacement but without knowing how much insurance we might get we can't go much further.

Obviously we will buy from whever we see the van of our choice but our existing supplier, Marquis of Golden Cross (Eastbourne) will be a VERY long way down the list. Marquis have absorbed Michael Jordan Caravans of Gomshall who are quite close to us but I don't know of their reputation, either as Marquis or Jordans.

Who would you choose, and are there any places you would prefer to avoid?
You could always come and visit us, we don't bite ! gimmefive
http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/auto-sleeper-nuevo-ek.html
Who would you buy from? Ext_DSCN6029__16825.1506003224.1280.1280

Peter

Male

Location : Battle Road (A21) Robertsbridge, East Sussex. 01-580-881288

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:19 pm

If that was an auto I'd be there.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Stolen)
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:13 pm

We've just bought a 3yr old Kemerton from Nick Whale Motorhomes in Evesham.  Realise that's not exactly local to you but their approach was faultless. The van was presented well and the sale, trade-in and handover processes were conducted with great care and attention to detail.  Their stock is generally towards the newer end of the spectrum and they focus on Autosleeper and Wildax.

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:22 pm

I'd buy private if at all possible, even for a van only a few years old. 
Other than when purchasing new, all the vehicles I've ever owned have been purchased by private sale. I hate lining dealers pockets.
Al
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:42 am

bikeralw wrote:I'd buy private if at all possible, even for a van only a few years old. 
Other than when purchasing new, all the vehicles I've ever owned have been purchased by private sale. I hate lining dealers pockets.
Al

+1
meanchris

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

Back to top Go down

Who would you buy from? Empty Customer Care (less)

Post by Jamie D Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:26 am

My philosophy is to buy from the dealer offering the best discount. I believe all customer care from Motorhome dealers is nothing more than just LPG!
We bought from Marquis, but beyond selling, my local branch don’t return calls, you constantly have to chase them and, surprise, surprise, the only time i am expecting a (snow) flurry of calls from them is when our first habitation check and service is due in September! But next time the boot will be on the other foot, and I won’t be rushing to return their calls!
If it’s the right deal for you, do buy from Marquis, but don’t expect much ‘customer care’ or a quick response return call!
Jamie D
Jamie D

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo LT
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by postman Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:14 pm

What's all this about "lining dealer's pockets" ? 
Some are dreadful, as in any business , but they are just making a living like most of us have needed to do at some time in our life.
....and they do offer warranty.
Nothing wrong with private purchase of course.
postman
postman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:48 pm

Hoopman wrote:I've experienced buying from several of the Motorhome dealers in the UK. IMO one stands out above the rest and that is Cotswold Motorhomes. You won't get the best financial deal, but you will get the best support and aftercare when you need it,

I agree Hoopman... The support and aftercare is crucial imo, nothing worse than spending a fortune on a van then fighting to get stuff rectified when you have problems. 

Also I think the dealers themselves should standby the vehicle they’re selling, after all they make enough on each transaction rather than make you feel as if they are doing you a favour by supplying an insurance based warranty that’s built into the price of the Motorhome you’ve purchased. 

Also you can’t take it for granted these warranties will always stump up for repairs as more often than not they are reluctant to pay out using any excuse they can as we’ve found out to our expense.

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:48 pm

I had good service from Spinney when buying my Anniversary Clubman,  and afterwards.     when looking again to go up in size,  they just didn`t have the van I wanted last time.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrgeoffrey Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:26 am

meanchris wrote:
bikeralw wrote:I'd buy private if at all possible, even for a van only a few years old. 
Al

+1

+2
up!

Not only do you not line dealers pockets you can chose where you have any work done.
Mrgeoffrey
Mrgeoffrey
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by postman Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:45 am

Mrgeoffrey wrote:

+2
up!

Not only do you not line dealers pockets you can chose where you have any work done.
True, but if it's not covered by warranty you still get to choose . Don't get me wrong, I have bought vehicles privately - it was just the "lining dealer's pockets" I take issue with - each to their own.
postman
postman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:21 pm

But you may have a job getting any work done by a dealer you have not bought from, they prioritise their customers first.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:45 pm

Paulmold wrote:But you may have a job getting any work done by a dealer you have not bought from, they prioritise their customers first.
And so they should!
There's not a lot of loyalty left in the world, so we may as well enjoy it - even if it is mostly for the dealer's own benefit!  shrugg
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by postman Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:14 pm

Paulmold wrote:But you may have a job getting any work done by a dealer you have not bought from, they prioritise their customers first.
Yes, quite agree, so the private buyer doesn't get to choose where to get work done ?
postman
postman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:19 pm

postman wrote:
Yes, quite agree, so the private buyer doesn't get to choose where to get work done ?
Nor do most people who buy from another dealer if it's warranty work - which is why it's seldom advisable to buy the most heavily discounted van at a show if the dealer is from Scapa Flow and you live in Cornwall!!  shrugg
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by postman Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:25 pm

Yes, quite agree Dave.
postman
postman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:34 pm

Totally agree 100% Dave , but is this not a case for some consumer rights  group to look into? I can buy for example the cheapest Dacia car in Cornwall, drive it to the far side of the country and we all expect our local Dacia dealer to honour warranty work . An Autosleeper costing upwards of £55 k will not be treated to the same by any Autosleeper dealer apart from where you bought it making what you say unfortunately all too true. 
       When we owned an Elddis van , our local Elddis caravan dealer did honour warranty work without question  even although not a motorhome dealer with a single phone call to the manufacturer. Perhaps done as a favour, who knows. Our recent experiences led us to try to get work done at 2 main dealers for A/s vehicles. Neither refused as such  but made it plain you would be at the back of the queue perhaps with over a year to wait! One worker did say that warranty work attracts labour rates at half their normal rate and this was why they do not look for work outside their own customers...
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : WARWICK XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:10 pm

kaspian wrote:One worker did say that warranty work attracts labour rates at half their normal rate and this was why they do not look for work outside their own customers...
I think that's the crux of the matter, but there should be some flexibility.

In a way it's good that dealers (appear to Whistle1 ) look after their own customers in preference to those who bought elsewhere, but what about the poor bu$$er who deliberately bought locally, only to find soon afterwards that he had to move house (unexpectedly) to the other end of the country?

It's up to A/S, but a "main dealer" network could be established for the habitation part, just the same as there is already for the base vehicle. It's hardly a revolutionary idea!!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum