The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Removing 30 w Solar panel

5 posters

Go down

Removing 30 w Solar panel Empty Removing 30 w Solar panel

Post by Molly3 Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:33 pm

After removing The 30 w solar panel how would you repair the screw holes left in the roof .I intend fitting 120 w panel but undecided whether to fit a semi flexible or rigid panel any advice please
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Removing 30 w Solar panel Empty Re: Removing 30 w Solar panel

Post by -mojo- Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:23 am

I doubt if it's hugely critical, as it doesn't need to be intrinsically very strong. I personally would use Sikaflex in white, but I think CT1 would work just fine (and CT1 seems to have a much longer shelf life than Sikaflex in my experience).
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:03 am

Rigid panel would have the four fixing points either screws or corner mounts with adhesive (have done that, looks professional even as a diy job). Have seen flexible panels on some motorhomes taking advantage of the curvature of the roof presumably to capture sun's rays on more than one plane? If this type of panel ever needed replacing, how difficult would it be given the amount of adhesive used?

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:15 am

Paramedic wrote:If this type of panel ever needed replacing, how difficult would it be given the amount of adhesive used?

It's something that worries me, having fitted two of them!

On the Celex (the first one done) it's going to be VERY difficult.

On the Trooper we fitted a layer of clear vinyl wrap and stuck the panel on top of that. The theory being that the vinyl will peel off the roof if we need to get the panel off. Hopefully we never need to find out if the theory will work in practice...
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:17 am

Paramedic wrote:Rigid panel would have the four fixing points either screws or corner mounts with adhesive (have done that, looks professional even as a diy job). Have seen flexible panels on some motorhomes taking advantage of the curvature of the roof presumably to capture sun's rays on more than one plane? If this type of panel ever needed replacing, how difficult would it be given the amount of adhesive used?

My thought process exactly, before I fitted a 100W panel to our MH a few weeks ago.

I went for a rigid panel and corner mounts with Soudaflex, no screws at all and it's pretty well stuck, looks good and leaves room to route and hide the cables neatly.

I also thought about how I'd remove a semi flexible panel if it failed, and preferred the rigid anyway as it gets better cooling from air flow underneath, which potentially improves the panel efficiency.
meanchris

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

Back to top Go down

Post by spanner Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:50 pm

I recently swopped an 80watt for a 160watt panel and as the bigger panel completely covered the existing brackets I left them undisturbed.
spanner
spanner

Male

Member Age : 104
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:09 pm

As the Sargent control panel is restricted to 120 w did you fit a a new sp charge controller ?
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by spanner Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:55 pm

Molly3 wrote:As the Sargent control panel is restricted to 120 w did you fit a a new sp charge controller ?

Yes.

The MPPT controller has made a noticeable improvement to the solar output compared to the original controller particularly on overcast days.

I fitted a Victron MPPT Blue Solar 75/10 which has a very useful built in safety feature that regardless of solar input it limits output to a maximum of 10 amps, with my 160 watt solar panel even in the Sahara desert I think I'd be very unlikely see more than 9.5 amps.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Have a look at this post and Elektroblock Electronics comments regarding the EC500 
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I'm happy with my setup via a "Battery Master" type device and unless the panel is covered in snow my 3 batteries currently measure 12.7 volts

PM me if you wish
spanner
spanner

Male

Member Age : 104
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo

Back to top Go down