The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fitting Solar Panel Autosleeper Nuevo ES

3 posters

Go down

Fitting Solar Panel Autosleeper Nuevo ES Empty Fitting Solar Panel Autosleeper Nuevo ES

Post by Bertie Bus Mon 13 Feb 2012 - 8:36

Please does anyone have any tips on mounting a solar panel on a Nuevo ES (high roof) please?
Specifically where and how to drill the hole through the roof.
We have ordered a 100W panel and fitting kit, and have a handy son to do the job, but before he gets his drill out I thought I'd ask for advice!
Thanks
Bertie Bus
Bertie Bus
Bertie Bus

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ek es
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Fitting Solar Panel Autosleeper Nuevo ES Empty Re: Fitting Solar Panel Autosleeper Nuevo ES

Post by dandywarhol Mon 13 Feb 2012 - 11:31

The standard issue Clubman panel had a hole leading into the wardrobe - just a straightforward hole with a grommet and sealer around it but under the panel to keep it away from the rain etc. modern adhesives like Sikaflex are an excellent alternative to drilling holes in the roof to secure the brackets. A flow of air below the panel aids efficiency although I don't know about the new flexible marine use types which lie directly to the floor/roof.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Clubman Anniversa
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Fitting Solar Panel Autosleeper Nuevo ES Empty Re: Fitting Solar Panel Autosleeper Nuevo ES

Post by Guest Wed 23 May 2012 - 20:31

I fed my panel cables through the base of the redundant TV aerial (use satellite TV now). This leads directly into the wardrobe. I sealed around the cables with Sikaflex (used to glue panel brackets to the roof).
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Johno Thu 24 May 2012 - 12:13

Hi Bertie

I recently installed a solar panel to my Eton which is a similar van to the Nuevo.

I fixed the panel brackets using Sikaflex 252i and prepared the surfaces with MT cleaner 205 and then MT primer 210 both Sikaflex products, using these ensures a strong bond to the roof, also using a smalll abrasive pad similar to a washing up scrub will give a slightly abraded surface which will help with adhesion.

Regarding the access for the cable there are available on ebay cable glands mounted in a small fairing which are is stuck to the roof using the above system and ensure a secure weatherproof entry for the cable. I usually make the cable access into the wardrobe or a high level locker, careful measurement is crucial before drilling any holes in the roof checking both inside and outside for possible obstructions and using a small pilot drill for the first hole then progress in stages to the correct size for the cable.

Hope this helps cheers John up!
Johno
Johno
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Eton
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down