The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to keep an idiot happy

+3
PLOUGHLIN
Gromit
Askit
7 posters

Go down

How to keep an idiot happy Empty How to keep an idiot happy

Post by Askit Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:31 pm

We had a little holiday in the sun (only fair as or MH is having a little holiday at Willersley rolleyes) and I thought I would get onto the local wifi to check my emails. The wifi provider required me to register and, when I tried, it appears that I had already registered with them some time in the past and was instructed to log on instead. Unfortunately there was no way I would remember the password used so I entered my email address and clicked the "forgot your password" button. I got the message back that they had sent me an email explaining how to reset my password.

If only I could get onto wifi to check my emails..........confused0

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Nain and mcalid like this post

Back to top Go down

How to keep an idiot happy Empty Re: How to keep an idiot happy

Post by Gromit Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:44 pm

Not unlike having to tear open a box, only to find inside it the instructions for opening it without damaging it.

And yes, I have actually had one such experience, so this is not a humorous urban myth!  happyyes
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

mcalid likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:23 am

Gromit wrote:Not unlike having to tear open a box, only to find inside it the instructions for opening it without damaging it.

And yes, I have actually had one such experience, so this is not a humorous urban myth!  happyyes
 Yes, had one of those as well   look here

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:35 am

I had a intermittant broadband access problem last night. Contacted the BT helpline, who diagnosed a line fault preventing access. They confirmed the fault by email?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:59 am

When I was gainfully employed, our fairly large office had an "intranet" for electronic communications. Every time the system went down our head of admin would send us an email to let us know    think_smiley_46

Always gave us something to look forward to when it was up and running again  snigger

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:46 pm

Or the old one of needing scissors to get scissors out of its packaging. I have seen both the welded clear plastic case and them tyrapped to a backing card.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:53 am

HTKAIH.......the saga goes on  Whistle1

It appears that (quite rightly), sites are asking for you to check in on line prior to arrival. I've now done this at several without a problem. Today I get one, sent to my email address, the one I sent them, asking me to enter my email address or the booking reference they sent me in a log in box. Both were rejected and they say they've sent me a code (they haven't  scratch head

Looks like I'll need to resort to old technology  shrugg

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:49 pm

And I told you before don't call me Happy
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:45 am

groundhog wrote:And I told you before don't call me Happy

Funnily enough, I did try a password of Snow White and the 7 dwarfs as they said it needed to be 8 characters long (yes I know it's an old one shrugg)

Donator
Donator

Male

Slaphead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:51 am

My domain/mail host asks for an email address NOT hosted by them for recovery purposes, sensible enough as broadband providers include an email log in.

Unfortunately BT have decided to close email accounts that are not used regularly enough sensored1
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:23 pm

I have a t shirt, pressie from wife...

It says:-

"there is genius and there is stupidity"
"only genius is limited"!!! hugegrins hugegrins
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

BobK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:15 pm

It could be just me  scratch head

My wife wanted a new Samsung phone, having checked all the usual suspects, the price was exactly the same everywhere. I decided to buy it direct from Samsung who were offering free delivery and a free gift (which had to be claimed).

We received the phone and the online claim form required I provide proof of purchase, in other words I had to copy the receipt Samsung sent me, to send it back to them to prove they sold me a phone. I also had to enter the IEMI number of the phone Samsung sold me, I guess to prove it was a legitimate one and not a fake. 

Samsung rejected the IEMI number of the phone they sent me as not being recognised  shrugg So, I had to use my tablet camera to take a photo of the number on the box Samsung sent me to prove Samsung are not selling fakes.

Matron, is it medication time  boo

Donator
Donator

Male

BobK, groundhog, brodco, Slaphead and mcalid like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:23 pm

A wee update on the above, and believe  it or not I have not gilded the lily. 

Samsung rejected their own receipt and requested I copy the final delivery notice they sent me and send it back to them instead. I was given 7 days to complete the task or I would have to submit a new claim claim from scratch. I did that and then I got another message from them, they rejected my photo of the IEMI as it was "not clear" and again giving me 7 days to respond with a new photo. I admit it was not my best work but the number was clearly readable. 

The problem I had was, being away from home, taking another photo was not possible within their timeframe. The original photo was on my tablet though so, I opened it, made it a bit brighter, and resubmitted to Samsung. Today they finally accepted the claim.

A more cynical person than me might suspect that Samsung were deliberately trying to frustrate the process by putting obstacles in the way in the way of folk  scratch head  Me, when I think there's an element of Jiggerypokery going on, I'm like the proverbial dog with a bone  happyyes

Donator
Donator

Male

groundhog and Mike187 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:47 pm

Just a little postscript to my tale. My wife got the phone out of it's box to charge it up and transfer all the data  from her old phone etc. No charger is supplied as Samsung explains "for environmental reasons, most people reuse their old chargers" they say. Can't argue with that philosophy......except the phone is supplied with a micro USB3 type C to C cable with is not compatible with either their own old chargers or other USB devices. The outcome of my contact with their support service was to be referred to their online shop "where I would get help to purchase the correct charging plug"  scratch head

Imagine purchasing a motorhome and the salesperson asking if you would like to buy the optional wheels to go with it  think_smiley_46

Donator
Donator

Male

mcalid likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:35 pm

Many years ago we were on holiday in Ireland visiting some stately home. Walking in the grounds between us on a path and a large ornamental lake was a notice stuck in the grass near the lake. I'm curious the notice isn't facing us, it's about 30yds away. Walking across the grass I sense the need to walk more quickly. When I reach the front of the sign it reads, "Beware of soft mud".
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:37 pm

I have a Samsung phone with the USB type C socket.
I can recommend you get the wireless pad. Best thing ever, just drop the phone on the stand every night, no messing with plugs.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:34 pm

bikeralw wrote:I have a Samsung phone with the USB type C socket.
I can recommend you get the wireless pad. Best thing ever, just drop the phone on the stand every night, no messing with plugs.
Al.

Thanks Al, I might arrange for Santy to bring one for my wife  allthumbz

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Sun May 15, 2022 8:39 am

Ah, my old friends at Samsung  rolleyes

My android tablet has developed a fault, it won't search on Google (or several other search engines) and I get a message they have stopped working. An internet search on another device offered "solutions", all of which have been tried and none of which worked. So I thought, system restore.

To "system restore" I have to sign into my Samsung account on the device (you're getting ahead of me now). First I have to pass their security, they ask for a phone number (which could be anybody's) to send a pass code to. That done they send a completely different one to my email address  scratch head  All done and entered and I get the message back that the "Samsung" system has stopped working  shrugg Really?  think_smiley_46

I'm close to engaging my 2lb persuader  happyyes

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 30, 2022 12:07 am

bikeralw wrote:I have a Samsung phone with the USB type C socket.
Al.
I can echo the above. I have a splashproof case on my phone and its a bit of a faff holding open the flap that covers the charge port. I went for the desk stand QI charger which makes it great for video calls without flattening the battery.

You do have to watch out over using old power plugs as 5v ones can't drive the charger at the higher wattages.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Mon May 30, 2022 8:35 am

I'll start this with an apology (which I don't really mean!) to all those who either "work" or "worked" in a council, also Welsh or Irish.
It seems me the happiest idiots are in councils, certainly the case here in NNDC where we think they are specially bred.........
Here's a couple of examples, one from Ireland, one from Wales........

Lack of space stops me doing NNDC ones we'd need the area of the Sahara, and, whatever you do, don;t get me started on SNP Whistle1 censored!
How to keep an idiot happy B-o64x10
How to keep an idiot happy Img_2137
Now I like precision, but............!!! hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down