The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thatcham Cat 1 Anti-Theft alarms

+4
squip
modelman
plattypus
Bulletguy
8 posters

Go down

Thatcham Cat 1 Anti-Theft alarms Empty Thatcham Cat 1 Anti-Theft alarms

Post by Bulletguy Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:05 am

Anyone who has any type of alarm fitted to their MH or Camper I would be interested in knowing the type/cost of what you have. I'm considering a Thatcham approved Cat 1 but unsure of which make/model is suitable.

I have an Autosleeper Duetto on 2000 Transit.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Thatcham Cat 1 Anti-Theft alarms Empty Re: Thatcham Cat 1 Anti-Theft alarms

Post by plattypus Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:23 am

Hi Bulletguy

We had a Gemini 7590 T2-1 Thatcham cat 1 approved alarm system fitted to our Symbol last January. it cost £299. including fitting.
We are very pleased with it and serves all our requirements. on normal 1 click locking it alarms the bonnet & censors inside the van secure all the doors. with an extra click it disables the interior censors and just alarms the doors, which is great when leaving the dog inside. Also at night we can have all exterior doors alarmed and still move about safely.
The only drawback is that on extra windy days/nights you have to make sure that all interior vents are closed as the censors will pick up any gusts of wind and set off alarm.
All in all feel very, very secure and well worth the layout.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 2006 Symbol ES

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:56 pm

My Talisman came with a Laserline Cat 1 Thatcham alarm/immob ready fitted, not sure if it was factory or aftermarket, has 2 remotes & 2 dashboard-inductor-keys, should the batteries or remotes fail.
All work perfect, also has a pair of interior motion detectors, as good as any I suppose.
One button activates everything, another button is a 'panic' jobbie & sets it off should we get a visit from the bogie-man while I lay there all defencless at night!!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by squip Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:57 pm

I have a Laserline the same as Modelman.
It has 1 inside motion detector which can be switched off when you are in the van with the alarm set. [I set the alarm at night]
My alarm is a Thatcham 2/1 [or 1/2 can't remember which] which means that it is still a cat 1 alarm but the immobiliser is a standard Peugeot provision so I do not have the little keys to touch on a plate on the dashboard. I also have a two button remote control, one button to set/unset the alarm and the other as a panic alarm.
The alarm was not an original fitment but was fitted by the van's first owner.

squip
squip
squip
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by dbnosey Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:08 pm

I have always had a cobra fitted to my MH's. Canbus Alarm 4841 on my Warwick Duo
Colin
dbnosey
dbnosey

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by eggnog Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:10 pm

I had a Toad Cat 1 fitted in '09. £329 all-in (which caused a sharp intake of breath) but the old system had gone TU and it was an insurance requirement anyway. It has all the bells and whistles, literally and metophorically, anyone might need. Possibly too many, as this earlier thread on ASOF describes:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Dunno if that's the right way to do a linky. scratch head Never tried before so I may have to sit on the norty step for upsetting Admin.

eggnog
eggnog

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman

Back to top Go down

Post by squip Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:27 pm

My brother in law has an alarm fitted to his camper [Toad I think]. It was on the van when he bought it. With this alarm when he drives off the doors lock themselves after about 30 seconds. The doors also lock if he gets out of the van and leaves the engine running. He finds this feature an absolute pain in the bum and he is dead scared of getting locked out of the van.
A point to bear in mind if you buy an alarm.

squip
squip
squip
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:44 pm

squip wrote:My brother in law has an alarm fitted to his camper [Toad I think]. It was on the van when he bought it. With this alarm when he drives off the doors lock themselves after about 30 seconds. The doors also lock if he gets out of the van and leaves the engine running. He finds this feature an absolute pain in the bum and he is dead scared of getting locked out of the van.
A point to bear in mind if you buy an alarm.

Eventually got round to having one fitted. Cost me £310 yikes though that included an extra sensor on the sliding side door.

Mine also locks all doors once the engine is started which in a way is a plus point. Not sure about exiting the van with engine running.....have to check on that! Have two sets of keys anyway!

The guy certainly earned his money though. Took him almost four hours!
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Thatcham Cat 1 Anti-Theft alarms Empty reward?

Post by mgm Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:09 pm

Might be worth seeing if there is a worthy reward i.e insurance discount for the effort. Alarms do drain batteries and as already stated sometimes can be a pain in the bum!
I see my latest MH purchase has the genuine stickers and indeed a instruction booklet for an ALarm but alas no key fob and no sign of alarm anywhere..... think_smiley_46

mgm
mgm

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa

Back to top Go down

Thatcham Cat 1 Anti-Theft alarms Empty reward?

Post by peugeotboxer Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:24 am

I certainly get a discount for an alarm/immobiliser fitted but couldn't say what %

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:35 pm

mgm wrote:Might be worth seeing if there is a worthy reward i.e insurance discount for the effort. Alarms do drain batteries and as already stated sometimes can be a pain in the bum!
peugeotboxer wrote:I certainly get a discount for an alarm/immobiliser fitted but couldn't say what %

Already checked with my insurance Safeguard, who give between 5 - 10%. Not much when you consider the outlay! To make matters worse i've just Googled my alarm to try and find the cost of buying one direct but couldn't find any prices quoted so 'ebayed' it.......and found the identical model on auction with a start price of £10. rolleyes Three days left to run and no bids on either! Of course you'd then have to get it fitted.

Battery drainage is a concern. What are others experiences of alarms/batt drainage?

Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down