The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SHURflo Fresh water pump

5 posters

Go down

SHURflo Fresh water pump Empty SHURflo Fresh water pump

Post by voranke Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:25 pm

Hi,
I am having difficulty filling my water system , on my A/S Nuevo 2006 .After several attempts I managed to fill the pump using an extention tube and primed the system that way .Has anyone had the same problem , also what is the correct proceedure regarding filling the system from empty do I have all taps open / closed ?
This is the first time I have had to fill the system so I may be missing something , the strainer was clear by the way .
Cheers Vo .
voranke

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo low profile

Back to top Go down

SHURflo Fresh water pump Empty Re: SHURflo Fresh water pump

Post by Dutto Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:22 pm

Vo,

When refilling a system from empty a short length of hose attached to the sink tap is helpful.

Fill the system with water, attach the hose, open the cold water tap, suck on the hose until you feel some resistance, keep sucking and turn on the pump.

Get ready for when the water arrives so that you don't drown.

Run water through any other cold taps and close off. Pump should stop automatically.

Open up the hot tap at the sink and any other point until you get uninterrupted flow. Close taps and there should be a slight delay before the pump stops. (There is an expansion chamber in most systems.)

You can now turn on the water heater knowing that the system is fully primed.

Remove the hose from the tap on the sink and put it in a safe place so that you can't find it the next time you need it. allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Johno Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:22 am

Hi Vo

If filling from empty it is probable that the water heater is also empty it can take the pump a little while to fill the heater during which time you will only get intermittent water flow from the taps. From experience I have found it helps to have all taps open at this point to allow air in the system to escape when you get a steady flow you can close the taps, as Dutto mentions the pump still runs on for a bit until the system is pressurised and the pressure switch activates to shut off the pump. content
Beware there may still be air in the system when you run the tap causing a lot of spluttering, and splashing everything in the vicinity including oneself. hugegrins
The Shurflo pumps seem to be a reliable piece of kit, in all my years of motorhoming and caravanning I haven't had one fail, saying this sods law is sure to kick in and you can guess the rest. rolleyes

Cheers John.
Johno
Johno
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Eton
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:50 am

Hi Vo,
I have the same van as you, when I fill for the first time, I run the cold taps one at a time until I get a good flow, next the hot tap, just open the tap, when you hear the air russhing out, put your hand over the spout, until the pressure builds, release the pressure and repeat until the water flows, do this to every tap.
Sounds long winded, but takes about 5 minutes.
Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo Ek
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

SHURflo Fresh water pump Empty Not so Tekno

Post by voranke Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:00 pm

Thanks Dutto , John and Pete for your help I hope this is is how to reply to your idea's with ref to the SHURflo fresh water system in my A/S

allthumbz allthumbz allthumbz allthumbz allthumbz allthumbz allthumbz allthumbz allthumbz allthumbz allthumbz

drinksallround Vo
voranke

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo low profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:31 pm

Vo,

Only if they were successful. up!

If they weren't then you take out a contract on whoever gave the worst advice! alittlesecret

Best regards,

drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

SHURflo Fresh water pump Empty Thanks

Post by peanuts Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:56 pm

Big thanks to Dutto, was having problems on my first fill after winter, (1st water fill ever in the old gal) could hear the pump but, no water, come on site, read this thread, stuck some pipe on one tap and sucked ............................... and sucked!! It worked by golly it worked, allthumbz thanks again.

P.S. Any good on toilets? Please see my question on that subject,

Cheers friends

Peanuts
peanuts
peanuts

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa

Back to top Go down