The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

High moisture level

+11
burlingtonboaby
NORGIL
Pete Taylor
lucasg
padraigpost
artheytrate
groundhog
Cymro
Gromit
Paulmold
Askit
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

High moisture level - Page 2 Empty Re: High moisture level

Post by jwells Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:51 pm

Just about to have my fridge cracked vents sorted by AS at my next habitation check. Water has been running down into the wheel arch area then forward under side locker, floor/wall panels have high moisture readings so don't know what they will do about that! More worrying perhaps is the bit I can't get to under and around the fridge to check, although I know it is ventilated (the fumes blow through into the habitation area, another common problem!!!) and may dry out with the heat from the fridge.
jwells
jwells

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK ES LT
Vehicle Year : ,2013

Back to top Go down

Post by harrysp Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:32 pm

harrysp wrote:Seems it's not a job for me, Mark at AS says that it needs to be done under warranty. At least we know the source of the damp and can solve it.
We're having ours replaced too under warranty.  Hopefully the area surrounding them will now dry out, but we will be keeping a close eye on it. A worrying time I must admit and disappointing to have our first damp experience in our fifth van. By far the most expensive too. A friend has a new Bessacarr and when he checked his vent surrounds they were fine. 

H
harrysp
harrysp
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Former Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by harrysp Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:34 am

We had the fridge vent surrounds replaced in November, and had the van damp checked again by an independent fitter this week. We were horrified to find that the damp levels around the nearside wheel arch had risen, up to 40% in some parts. The fitter reckoned the problem lay with the barbecue and mains electric points. We now have the van booked into A/S for the necessary work to be done.

This is very disappointing in what we thought was a quality product. I would be interested to hear from anyone else who has had damp repairs done on their van and their experiences. 

Harry

Harry
harrysp
harrysp
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Maasai Warrior Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:19 pm

Last Thursday we had our cracked vents replaced (recall or warranty?) they were done for free. Two weeks before, I noted damp readings of between 15% and 35% around the vents. Mark assured us that this would now dry out, but I do now hope it hasn't gone into the wheel arch. We had a habitation check at AS on the same day and everything was OK. Damp was OK i.e. Less than 15% all round. Though it does depend how thoroughly the damp check was carried out! I will keep an eye on it. Not very encouraging with such an expensive vehicle only 3 years old. I must say we are generally pleased with our van despite the large number of snags we have had over the three years. We are hoping the niggles have all but stopped!!

Pete

P.S. Had our instrument panel replaced recently at Peugeots, just within warranty. All OK so far!
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway EB owner
Vehicle Year : Mar 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:55 pm

Masai Warrior wrote:Last Thursday we had our cracked vents replaced (recall or warranty?) they were done for free. Two weeks before, I noted damp readings of between 15% and 35% around the vents. Mark assured us that this would now dry out, but I do now hope it hasn't gone into the wheel arch. 
Disappointing to discover up to 30% on recent habitation check (last January) a year on from acquiring used van that was clear of damp on purchase. The area effected was under offside bench and kitchen sink where we had found a pressurised leak from the Whale fresh water intake almost a year earlier on very first outing. Fortunately just inside dealer warranty period to then rectify ingress surrounding both EHU and Whale filing point also replacement of habitation step motor. We assume the damp will dry out sometime later in theyear

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by harrysp Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:27 am

Thanks for your responses. Looking on other forums, it seems damp is not unusual in British vans, although having had four before this is our first experience of it. To have damp in a one year old van suggests poor workmanship, probably too little or inferior quality sealant. Will it dry out sufficiently without removing the fittings inside and drying it?

H

Harry
harrysp
harrysp
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:49 am

Harry, I started this thread after a hab check highlighted moisture in our Neuvo. A/S indicated that our warranty was with our dealer and they had to be the first port of call for resolution (they diagnosed and replaced cracked fridge vents). A parts issue (not related to the water ingress) meant that our MH was with them for 5 weeks and the work only completed in the week prior to  Christmas. Right now there is still a high moisture reading in the van, the dealership say that an accurate reading can't be taken until the affected area has sufficient time to dry out. The MH will have to return it to them sometime in the next few months for them to recheck. I remain happy will the Neuvo but less so with the dealers and I remain to be convinced that they have resolved the problem.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:16 pm

harrysp wrote: and had the van damp checked again by an independent fitter this week. We were horrified to find that the damp levels around the nearside wheel arch had risen, up to 40% in some parts. The fitter reckoned the problem lay with the barbecue and mains electric points. 

Harry
After much thought and perhaps self convincing, the witnessed leaks from the Whale fresh water inlet were not sufficient to cause 30% damp reading on habitation check just before warranty expired. This was further confirmed when dealer advised damp was actually due to poor sealant surrounding both EHU and LPG points. Looks like both components have been replaced and evidence of much more sealant applied. As mentioned earlier, future test to hopefully see reduction in percentage of damp.

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:20 pm

Yup. Same here. poorly sealed EHU & LPG housings. Now cured by AS.
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2