The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Introduction

+7
Paulmold
roli
CC
plattypus
deckie
squip
Jo Johnson
11 posters

Go down

Introduction Empty Introduction

Post by Jo Johnson Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:14 pm

Hi To Everyone,

Just joined and been reading lots of posts on Petrol versus Diesel.

Have been looking with hubby, (previous camper van owner when younger, and our dog Zac for a good while now and dont know if we are looking for impossible. Hubby is very handy and able to do interior work, paint and general fixing up, engine work would be referred to mechanic friend. We were nearly the proud new owners of a 98 2.5TD Peugot Boxer Symphony last weekend but discovered what looked like a problem with head gasket so had to leaver her be. We are off tomorrow to look at a 2ltr petrol. Both of us drive diesel car/landrover and are confirmed diesel owners but are finding it hard to find a good quality disel, drive wise, that does not break the bank!!! We can only see ourselves doing about 3 thou miles a year so from what we can see the difference in fuel cost is not too drastic and it might give us a bigger pool of vehicles to look at.

Peugot Boxer seems to have a lot of water egress issues and given the one we liked seemed to have water issues in oil and head gasket it has put us off a bit, would a volkswagon be better?

Any thoughts please from two slightly dispirited potential buyers.

Jo Johnson
Jo Johnson

Female

Member Age : 57

Back to top Go down

Introduction Empty Re: Introduction

Post by squip Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:08 pm

Welcome to the forum Jo.
I thought that the Boxer [and ducato] with water ingress issues were the new shape from 2007 to about 2008-9. This was where rainwater from the screen ran down into the engine. Is this what you mean? The only other issue that I am familiar with is on older Boxers water can run into the gearbox via the gearbox dipstick. Certainly my 2004 Boxer has no water ingress issues.
Perhaps other members will have more to say on this.
There are many members on here with Boxers of varying ages so if there is a problem someone on here will know about it.

squip
squip
squip
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by deckie Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:28 pm

Hi Jo & Hubby, welcome to the forum hellowave

Good luck with your search up!

Brian & Chris

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

Back to top Go down

Post by plattypus Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:52 pm

Hi Jo & hubby

Welcome camper

We have a 2006 Boxer & touch wood have no water ingress issues also touch wood no other major problems (Oops done it now !!)
Good luck with your quest
Regards
Roger & Barbara
plattypus
plattypus
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 2006 Symbol ES

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:53 pm

Hi Jo
As posted already the water issue is with the newer boxers 06/07 onwards so shouldn't be a problem with models prior to this... (that I'm aware of)
whatever Auto-Sleeper you buy I hope it goes well for you up!

Welcome to ASOF gimmefive

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:33 pm

asof_welcome2

Water onto the engine and battery applied to the Boxers pre X250
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:43 am

Welcome from Paul and Carol in North Wales handshake
We have a petrol Symphony (1997) and if you've read threads re petrol v diesel, you will have read my comments with my views. With an annual mileage of around 3k it really doesn't matter on the economy of it, what you save on buying a petrol one equates to what you spend extra on fuel over a 3 year period. I would think that the diesel would be more reliable having had diesel cars now for over 10 years. As a taxi driver doing in excess of 50k per year I couldn't afford to run a petrol taxi.
As has been said, Boxer Mk1's can suffer from water in the gearbox, they can also suffer with 5th gear problems, luckily ours has not had either issue.
Have you considered the Duetto with Ford reliability but then they can suffer with tinworm on the arches and doors. Whatever you choose, they all have niggles.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by whisky Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:15 am

Hi Jo Johnson.
Welcome to the forum from nottinghamshire. wave
Whisky.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:04 pm

Hi there,

Welcome from sunny Spain - just south of Alicante!

Dutto drinksallround
Dutto
Dutto
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Introduction Empty Newbies Jo& Ken Johnson Vehicle Search

Post by Jo Johnson Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:26 pm

Hello Everyone,

Thank you so much for all your kind words. Have just got back from looking at 2ltr Petro Peugot Boxer Symphony 98, one owner only with 19,500 miles on clock. Has only done 200 miles in last year as elderly owners have health problems. This was evident as not taxed, covered in green slime and general muck and tyres a little on the soft side!!!! The owner husband has only been allowed out to drive it to garage for service!! MOT until next June, could not try out much of habitation side as tanks drained, suspect leisure battery flat as boiler ticked but would not fire, no gas in her either!!!

On the good side, we snook out and she drove very well, been regularly serviced and nipped down to local garage who does her who confirmed she hardly used and rather over diligently serviced.

Can see grime and muck will sort well, oil as clean as whistle, has DIY wrapping and rain diversion over battery. Due to work commitments cant go back for another week and have asked owner to put water in her and hook her up but if we are right in the fact the leisure battery has gone we will not be able to fire her up anyway, am I correct in that?

Does anyone know if we can take an ordinary battery with us to test or does it have to be a leisure one and would that work anyway, also given fact she been standing for so long what potential problems/checks should we make before parting with any money as had narrow escape with last one.

As said thanks for your replies. up!
A cheered up Jo & Hubs.
Jo Johnson
Jo Johnson

Female

Member Age : 57

Back to top Go down

Introduction Empty water ingress

Post by shelldrake Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:39 am

No problem with the M/H but conservatory has sprung a leak and just before we are planning to go away! to Spain for a few months!!!

Hows about a weather forecast from Spain Dutto! It's lashing down here in Plymouth (and my conservaory is leaking Bo Ho!!!!)
shelldrake
shelldrake

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Sigma

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:37 pm

Jo Johnson wrote:
Can see grime and muck will sort well, oil as clean as whistle, has DIY wrapping and rain diversion over battery. Due to work commitments cant go back for another week and have asked owner to put water in her and hook her up but if we are right in the fact the leisure battery has gone we will not be able to fire her up anyway, am I correct in that?

Does anyone know if we can take an ordinary battery with us to test or does it have to be a leisure one and would that work anyway, also given fact she been standing for so long what potential problems/checks should we make before parting with any money as had narrow escape with last one.

As said thanks for your replies. up!
A cheered up Jo & Hubs.
An ordinary battery will be fine to test with, and even to use for a while until you feel the need to buy a leisure battery. If it's been standing for long periods on under inflated tyres, then it would be an idea to get a reputable tyre fitter to look them over and possibly replace them.
Sounds like it's been looked after up! don't forget to drain down again when you leave it.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:42 pm

Frank,
This thread is a year old, don't know why it's been revived.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:52 pm

Paulmold wrote:Frank,
This thread is a year old, don't know why it's been revived.

It's 'cos I'm a Dozy "person" Paul and stupidly didn't look at the date scratch head It just came up on "posts since last visit" and like an idiot I didn't check before replying - what a sensored1 censored! hugegrins

Frank

PS
Wonder what happened to Jo?
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down