The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Replacing kitchen sink surround in Broadway

5 posters

Go down

Replacing kitchen sink surround in Broadway Empty Replacing kitchen sink surround in Broadway

Post by Quilter Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:09 pm

The black rubber seal surrounding the kitchen sink on our 2014 Broadway has several chips out of it and I am concerned that we might soon get leaks into the cupboard and drawers below. It feels as if the seal has become brittle and, when wiped after use, bits are breaking away. I have not used any cleaner on it other than water and antibacterial spray.

Has anyone else experienced this and, given that the van is still within warranty, had the seal replaced ?
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Replacing kitchen sink surround in Broadway Empty Re: Replacing kitchen sink surround in Broadway

Post by ajrm Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:41 pm

Just had a look at our seal and it is in perfect condition, still supple and no damage. Our van is 2013, maybe the later vans have a different seal. I would contact AS to get it looked at.  
We had a problem with the work surface under the bathroom sink the edges were lifting away creating gaps where water was getting in, allowing the shelf edges to swell. AS replaced this FOC under warranty, together with a long list of other things I had found faulty.

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex 2013 Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Replacing kitchen sink surround in Broadway Empty Re: Replacing kitchen sink surround in Broadway

Post by Quilter Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:46 pm

Thanks. I wondered if AS would say that it was wear and tear or something that I had done. It isn't; I have treated it with TLC and, as I said, think it is because the rubber has become brittle. It's never happened on any other van we have had, even after almost 8 years of the last one.

Glad to know the 2013 version rubber remains flexible.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by JDS Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:45 pm

My 2012 Broadway went brittle replaced under warranty, Mark originally said the seal only came with the hob.

Last edited by JDS on Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton ES LT
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:48 pm

JDS wrote:My 2012 Broadway went brittle replaced under warranty, Mark originally said the seal only came with the hob.
Thanks. The van is going in for a hab check next month so hope this will be dealt with then. Good to know it does happen.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by JDS Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:34 pm

I would phone ahead and ask them to get one in to save a second rip

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton ES LT
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:42 pm

Hi hjrm, our recent acquisition of a 2013 Broadway FB realised a slightly ill closing bathroom door. Looked like it was warped and rattled on the strike plate in the 'closed position'. Resolved to a fashion by use of self adhesive foam pad at base of door jamb so as to stop rattle when driving. Just a minor issue compared with other A/S vans in the past. Somewhat intrigued with the long list of problems you experienced with the FB and were the faults resolved to your satisfaction?
Regards

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Maasai Warrior Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:57 pm

Hi Quilter, what a coincidence. Our rubber seal has just been replaced by Mark's team at A/S during a habitation visit last month. When we arrived, Mark asked me if we had any niggles with the van. After giving him a small list, I mentioned that I had inadvertently, the day before, nicked the rubber seal round the sink, and if I was to buy some rubber from the parts section would it be a easy to fit myself. He gave me some instructions and told me to be careful that I didn't stretch it. He also asked me to give him the strip after I had picked it up from parts and he would put it in our van. I was given a length of rubber possibly twice the length needed for £1.50, not bad price. When we got back from Broadway to pick up the van after lunch, Mark showed us the bits they had fixed and hey presto he had got one of the lads to fit the rubber seal round the sink for us too. Brilliant job. I was very grateful. As for the quality of the original rubber, I also think it was brittle as I hardly touched it while gently cleaning it, when it easily chipped a piece off. Maybe old hardened stock. The new strip when I purchase it, seemed much more softer and pliable so hopefully it will last a lot longer. Once again Mark came up trumps.

Hope this helps. 

I am sure Mark will fit you a new seal under the warranty.

Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway EB owner
Vehicle Year : Mar 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:10 pm

Thanks Pete: very reassuring. I did wonder about DIY but it does look quite a difficult thing to do without making a mess or getting kinks in it. It's on the ( very short) list of things to be done at the hab service.

The wretched door stay is there, as usual !
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Maasai Warrior Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:25 pm

Not had problems with the door stay yet!! though as many on this forum have, I am keeping my beady eye on it. We have got issues with the switch by the door for the LED above cupboard strip lights. It's finally stopped working, just after our recent visit to A/S! I am sure Mark would have had it replaced. Never mind I am going to have a look at it soon and if no go, I will order a replacement switch from A/S parts. 

Best of luck with your short list of issues and the rubber strip.

Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway EB owner
Vehicle Year : Mar 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by ajrm Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:13 am

Paramedic wrote:Hi hjrm, our recent acquisition of a 2013 Broadway FB realised a slightly ill closing bathroom door. Looked like it was warped and rattled on the strike plate in the 'closed position'. Resolved to a fashion by use of self adhesive foam pad at base of door jamb so as to stop rattle when driving. Just a minor issue compared with other A/S vans in the past. Somewhat intrigued with the long list of problems you experienced with the FB and were the faults resolved to your satisfaction?
Regards
I fixed most of the silly things myself that either fell off or fell apart including lubricating the cupboard catches and bathroom door handle.

AS had the van back for repair to the Hab body that had creased between the fridge vents and fixed everything else I told them about.

I just had the fridge door replaced and Truma boiler repaired by the dealer 

Everything seems fine now, AS did a good job but the dealer failed to connect one of the heater outlet pipes properly and under the bed got very hot!  My fault for not checking their work!

I suppose we use the van a lot, we spent about 250 nights in it last year and more the year before, I get the impression AS designed their vans for less use than that, but I notice the newer ( after mid 2015) get a longer warranty and are Class 3 insulated ( but I remember being told our van was class 3 insulated when I bought it, I think the better heaters gives them the full classification now) but we have been cosy in -15 and colder with no frozen water pipes ( all insulated by me!)
ajrm
ajrm

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:15 pm

Well, the frequency of use with your van is most admirable and certainly making it work for the monetary outlay. The combined number of nights you've spent over the two years would see most of us moribund by comparison. Also your ingenuity to put things right is perhaps more of a satisfying challenge where others would be overwhelmed with recurring problems. Hope this doesn't portray as hero worship but congratulations on your endeavours. Regards

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by ajrm Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:23 pm

Thanks, I am an inveterate tinkerer and fixer and can't stand things that don't work as they should. 
I suppose there is point where I should think " why haven't they done this properly" instead of " I'll fix that in a minute" but there were a lot of things that should have been picked up on a QC check before it left the factory.
In 1992, I came into a bit of money and bought a year old Range Rover. I kept it for 3 years and nothing went wrong. I only lifted the bonnet to admire the engine and fill the washer bottle. I got bored and sold it!

Male

Back to top Go down