The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cab curtains in Broadway

5 posters

Go down

Cab  curtains  in Broadway Empty Cab curtains in Broadway

Post by Quilter Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:50 am

We have a 2014 Broadway EK. It has blinds fitted to the cab windows. We understand that they came with the winter pack and that the standard is curtains in the cab. We have the overcab rooflight with shelf underneath.

Please can anyone tell me where the curtains hang from and do they go all the way to the floor ?  Are they the same fabric as the rest of the van curtains ?
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Cab  curtains  in Broadway Empty Re: Cab curtains in Broadway

Post by Maasai Warrior Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:24 pm

As we liked the curtains blocking off the cab area on our previous Pollensa, we asked for curtains to be filled when we purchased our, new at the time, 2014 Broadway. This was carried out by A/S at no extra cost, and we are pleased it was done. We have blinds also, which we use, but it provides an alternative to continually bringing the cab blinds down, reducing wear and tear. The runners are fastened onto the underside of the cab roof, suspending over moulded indentations. They hang right down to the floor, each having two tie backs attached to the door pillars and the materials used match the existing window curtains. Just to add the curtains are also lined.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Last edited by Masai Warrior on Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Addition to text)
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway EB owner
Vehicle Year : Mar 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:03 pm

Thanks Pete: not quite clear about the " indentations on the roof." Do you mean the area where the cab joins the body of the van ? We have a wooden beam across there.  Are your cab seats behind the curtains when drawn ?

We want something that screens off the cab area at night, partly for cosiness and partly to hide the mess of odds and ends that inevitably end up there on nights when we cannot put things outside !
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:31 pm

A thought you might like to ponder Quilter. I've pondered it, but got no further!!!  content

I have considered putting a curtain rack straight across the width of the van from door pillar to door pillar, which would be much better for your intended use I think. If the Broadway is like our Nuevo (and I expect it is) the curtain rail goes as far forward as possible, nearly to the windscreen so the curtain can hang right next to the dashboard, leaving the driver's and passenger's seats accessible. This is not what you want I think.

My idea was to hang a translucent curtain to close off the cab area while we are travelling (probably a shower curtain) This would isolate the cab so the air con was cooling only that small volume, and not the whole van. I see no reason why you shouldn't have two interchangeable curtains - a warmly lined material one for the winter, and a translucent one to help the air con in the summer.

Just a thought.

Dave smile!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Maasai Warrior Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:06 pm

Yes the curtains follow the half circle curtain track behind the cab seats so the seats are facing inside the habitation area. ie the curtains just close off the cab dash area. It means we can dump magazines/ cushions/junk on the seats when the bed is made up for the night. The ceiling where the track runs is just a little uneven, and hangs in mid air where the track bends. It is secured firmly!
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway EB owner
Vehicle Year : Mar 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:56 pm

I bought some lovely fabric in Nijar to make removable loose covers and have far too much so thought I would make a  curtain to hang from the shelf below the cab rooflight.  My OH then came up with the fact that we would have had curtains anyway if this van had not been fitted with a winter pack- something I did not know.

Until I read Pete's letter I'd not thought of the wooden beam that neatens up the cab/ hab join but that would do nicely. The cab seats would be behind the curtain at night but, apart from being full of stuff overnight, we don't sit on them after driving. 

I always have a quiet chuckle when I read about thieves breaking into the cab overnight. Most nights, on aires, they'd have a job getting past the assorted bits, cushions, clothes etc that our cab is stuffed with.

I like the idea of the summer/ winter curtains but am not sure I could live with a shower curtain. Have you looked at the ready made lengths of net curtain in Dunelm Mills ?   We use a couple, overlapped, as flyscreens. I made a couple of excellent sunblockers from cheap silver shower curtains. They hang from Fiamma hooks slotted into the edge of the pulled out awning and can be pegged out ( with the added metal  reinforced eyelets ) to whatever angle you need.  Only cost £ 4.50 the pair.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:48 pm

I've found that the heater on the Puegeot struggles a bit when it's very cold outside. So looking into the idea of a curtain between cab and body for a Nuevo ES, there is a pair of ready-installed suitable buckles, on the ceiling above the drop-down Luton bed. The buckles take the straps of safety netting (designed to prevent a fall out of the bed). By day, whether or not the drop-down is up, those buckles would be ideal for suspending a full width curtain rod, from which suitable curtains could be hung. Easily detachable. If there were two, overlapping curtains, it would allow easy access to the rear of the van. Might experiment...
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by ajrm Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:20 pm

We have Silver Screens on the windscreen at night and draw the curtains so that they go behind the seats when they are swivelled round. At the moment, it is around 0 degrees outside at night and we do get a bit of a draught from the cab area when the heater is on low overnight. I find it helps to close off the cab heater intake vent. 
The curtains do not reach the floor, shame really, because if they did, they would stop this draught, and I guess they would get dirty!
The curtain rail runs from the wooden bulkhead behind the drivers seat to the same behind the passenger seat. It bends in a little towards the grab handles then runs between the padded roll at the edge of the shelf and the headlining where it angles down to the sun visors.
ajrm
ajrm

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex 2013 Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:31 pm

Thanks both. I' ve got a good idea now of where the curtains are positioned. I want to make some as much for a cosy appearance as warmth. I suppose cleaning the dashboard of the inches of dust would be a good start rather than simply hiding it but I fancy the idea of more of a little living room area at night where we can't see the business end of the van.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ajrm Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:28 pm

It does make a big difference not seeing the dashboard, the seats seem cosier with curtains around them too. I forgot to say the curtains are the same material as the other curtains, all lined.

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex 2013 Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down