The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

De-activating the Alarm

+5
Jaytee
Keith Coombe
PLOUGHLIN
Claytaa
Phil Bowen
9 posters

Go down

De-activating the Alarm Empty De-activating the Alarm

Post by Phil Bowen Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:48 pm

Had our first trip out in our Auto- Sleeper Burford this weekend and managed to sort out most problems. We did make a phone call to dealer to sort out why the fresh water was coming out as fast as I was putting it in!!! They had opened the valve to winterise the van so shutting that sorted that out. But we could not find a way of deactivating the alarm to allow us to go out and leave our dog in the van. Consulted the handbook which gave a clear description of where the switch should be located. This is in the lighting unit above the driver, but ours has a unit to hold your glasses not the alarm. We also called in at our local Merc dealers who suggested one click of the key fob, this did not work. they suggested just using the key to lock the doors, this did not work. You have all been very helpful in the past, has anyone found a solution to this problem as we don't like leaving the van unlocked while we eat out, as you are aware not all eating places allow dogs particularly in Wales. Thanks any suggestions would be gratefully received
Phil Bowen

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Burford
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

De-activating the Alarm Empty Re: De-activating the Alarm

Post by Claytaa Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:58 pm

Hi,
On our Bourton we press the key fob once to lock the van then press again to de activate movement within.
Claytaa
Claytaa

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:06 pm

+1 Same with my alarm, once to lock and again within 30 sec to disable internal sensors.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

De-activating the Alarm Empty Keith from N.Z.

Post by Keith Coombe Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:56 pm

I just press buttons in cab manually then lock habitation door with the key.
Keith Coombe
Keith Coombe

Male

Member Age : 87

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Bowen Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:26 am

Thanks very much for that info will try it out and let you know the result.
Phil Bowen

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:37 am

Keith Coombe wrote:I just press buttons in cab manually then lock habitation door with the key.

Yep, that's what I do as well up!.  Or I use the lock/unlock switch on the cab panel and then exit and lock the hab door with the key. I think that sets the immobiliser as well?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:40 am

Keith Coombe wrote:I just press buttons in cab manually then lock habitation door with the key.

Same method used here...

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:49 am

Interesting.

When on site with our Mercedes Malvern we always lock the van with the keyfob which does activate the alarm and then use the habitation door key to lock/unlock that door as necessary. This avoids the possibility of the system locking you out.

As we have never set off the alarm whilst in the van there can be no motion sensors on the alarm. This would indicate that those alarms with motion detectors are an aftersales fit and not part of the Mercedes installation.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:52 am

That is a good point Peter. Ours doesn't have motion sensors either  Whistle1. Other than the dogs that is hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:59 am

Yes, mine is an aftermarket fitted extension alarm with motion sensors. The standard Merc alarm may not have them, though the handbook does mention motion sensors as well as the tow away alarm. The sensors might only apply to the van, not chassis cab versions. The immobiliser is set by removing the ignition key.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:42 pm

You may wish to be sure that whatever method you use only disables the internal motion sensors, not the other functions of the alarm such as doors, bonnet etc.

Otherwise, if you have informed your insurer that you have an alarm fitted, they are likely to have some clause in their weasel words, sorry terms, which will mean they will decline a claim for any break-in or theft occurring whilst the alarm is disabled.

Of course, depending on how big/ferocious your dogs are this may not be a problem! snigger 

cheers
Roger

PS It may not be relevant to yours but on our Peugeot based Pollensa, there is a way of manually disabling the motion sensors which I forget, however apparently they disable themselves if they sense motion within a few minutes of the alarm being set.  I only know this because the last time we had it serviced, we were told the way to check if they are working was to set the alarm whilst hiding in the loo, wait several minutes then come out of the loo and move around the interior.

So if you can train the dogs to run around for a while before settling down when you leave them, this may do the trick had_idea

Last edited by rogerblack on Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added PS)
rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Bowen Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:02 pm

Hi, just tried the press key fob once and again within 30 seconds, but alarm went off. Peter is right because our merc dealer felt it was another system fitted rather than theirs. We have a Thatchem 2 alarm and immobiliser fitted I found out after checking paperwork. This must respond in a different way. Will have to try them cant see the wife leaving our dog behind every time we go away in the van.confused3
Phil Bowen

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:13 pm

your paperwork should have a certificate of installation for a Thatham alarm, with the make/model alarm fitted. Trace the manual?

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Bowen Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:19 am

Hi All, just returned from trip to Bristol, Baltic Wharf, this time. We have solved the issue by looking the driver's door with the key. This did not trigger the alarm so dog was safe and sound. We also found that the previous owners had not given us the key fob for the Thatcham alarm, so had to purchase another. I now have to try to get it linked into the alarm by counting a series of flashes!!!!! not looking forward to that. Dog and wife both very happy. Thanks again for all your useful tips, find the forum a very useful way of gaining information.
Phil Bowen

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:48 pm

Hi Ours is an auto watch alarm, like most of the others on here press once and once again within 30 seconds, be aware though, if you use this method while you are inside the van it also deadlocks the doors and you need the fob in an emergency to unlock the doors (alternately jump out the windows, lol
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo Ek
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down