The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Indicator light for cooker hot plate

+6
NORGIL
PLOUGHLIN
dbroada
Spospe
Peter Brown
Quilter
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Indicator light for cooker hot plate - Page 2 Empty Re: Indicator light for cooker hot plate

Post by dbroada Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:22 pm

inspiredron wrote:
Quilter wrote:If you have the inclination and time then an interesting and illuminating discussion here:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

" Oh let us never, never doubt
What nobody is sure about"

Q
A very wordy thread with a lot of verbiage on risks that only apply to old vans without a double pole rcb - which my van has!  I found it very supportive of my personal view - but if you do not understand electrics then DO NOT USE EHU IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBTS ABOUT ITS SAFETY.
pretty much my feelings too

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Stolen)
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Indicator light for cooker hot plate - Page 2 Empty Re: Indicator light for cooker hot plate

Post by Peter Brown Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:49 am

NORGIL wrote:So how do I find out if the polarity is reversed, if it is what am i supposed to do about it, maybe turn the battery  upside down. In the absence of an electrical engineering degree I think i might just drive it off a cliff !

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Some related posts

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:53 am

May I ask one final question on this. My van is 2001 will it have ' modern ' protection standards
NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:07 am

NORGIL wrote:May I ask one final question on this. My van is 2001 will it have ' modern ' protection standards
A definitive - Yes.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:13 am

Peter Brown wrote:A definitive - Yes.

But has the van been properly checked ? Maintained by someone who knows what they are doing ? There are several different ways electrical systems can fail. RCB s will protect against most, but not all.

Surely, at a cost of £10 for current tester and polarity reversing lead plus a couple of extra minutes before putting on the kettle, it is worth that extra level of assurance ?

Q
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:15 am

Thank you Peter, I shall now relegate this to somewhere near the bottom of the ever expanding list of thinks to worry about if I ever actually get to use the van.
NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:20 am

Quilter wrote:
Peter Brown wrote:A definitive - Yes.

But has the van been properly checked ? Maintained by someone who knows what they are doing ?

That question applies to the engine, brakes, transmission, gas installation and everything else about the van. Who knows what happens once it gets into an owners hands. A 2001 Clubman was built to current electrical safety standards - after that.................

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:25 am

Just when you think it's safe to go back in the water, or in this case the van ! 

Ok, more sleep lost I will move it up the list again.

Good job I like the look of the van when it sits on the drive, its safer than opening the doors and going inside or heaven forfend actually allowing it to move.
NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:31 am

NORGIL wrote:Just when you think it's safe to go back in the water, or in this case the van ! 

Ok, more sleep lost I will move it up the list again.

Good job I like the look of the van when it sits on the drive, its safer than opening the doors and going inside or heaven forfend actually allowing it to move.
But why lose sleep etc ? Just go to your nearest caravan accessory shop for the tester, make up your lead or get someone you trust to make one for you ( or buy from EBay) and then use it if necessary.

We've been doing this since 1969 and hope to continue for a few years yet.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:40 am

Peter Brown wrote:That question applies to the engine, brakes, transmission, gas installation and everything else about the van.  Who knows what happens once it gets into an owners hands.  A 2001 Clubman was built to current electrical safety standards - after that.................
Spot on Peter.

Without wishing to offend anyone, some folks are never happier than when they have something to worry about! shrugg (Not aimed at anyone on this thread. Just a general observation of forums.  smile! )

Unfortunately the forums are wonderful places for reading about the latest urban myths, and dire warnings about what my brother's best friend's auntie Mabel's dog walker was told by a bloke he met down the pub the other night!!

I say again, look for verifiable evidence before you get all het up and worried, and even if there is an identifiable risk, consider the statistical probability that YOU PERSONALLY will be the victim. In almost every case it is infinitesimally small, and just not worth worrying about.

Get out there and enjoy the van. If there's a better way of taking a holiday we have yet to find it!!  hugegrins

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2