The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beckford

+4
mikethebike
PLOUGHLIN
stoneb
GWAYGWAY
8 posters

Go down

Beckford  Empty Beckford

Post by GWAYGWAY Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:02 pm

It is just me again, I am still pondering the Beckford Question, I have the choice of another one secondhand with a low mileage and not a year old, It is 12 miles away from me in a main dealer.  
Can anybody give me the Weight in running order and unladen weight for this model. Nobody at the dealers know and they won't take it to a weighbridge, just to find out, unless I commit to buy.  I have a feeling that it might just be a tad heavy and the gross is 3880 so that worries me as too whether any payload left for  the  luxuries of life on the road,you know, Frey-Bentos tinned pies, spare fuel in a can, spare bottle of gas, wife. the other thing is there seems no external storage big enough to take  anything slightly large, windbreak etc.
and anything else that I have accumulated to go in the van. The reason  given for the person who put it up for sale was that they could not be bothered making up the bed every night. Expensive decision to lose £12000 for that in under a year. Makes me wonder IF  I would be the same after a short time. I really do like the ballroom space in the back though, and would use the bed as a duo. 
confused3
GWAYGWAY
GWAYGWAY

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : none
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Beckford  Empty Re: Beckford

Post by stoneb Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:07 pm

I suggest you contact A/S for such details. 

I have a sales brochure for models available at the time I bought Winnie Winchcombe (see my Avatar) June 2014, but the Beckford doesn't exist in it. So it has re-entered the MH scene since then (I think it was originally built on the Peugeot base). I reckon you'll need to use the rear steadies frequently.

I always seem to have weight "struggles" with Winnie, having been to a weighbridge with her at 3460kg totally empty, ready to take back to A/S for warranty work with only 1/4 tank fuel, 1/2 tank fresh water, me (70kg) and wifey. The front axle wasn't very far off max load, even thus lightly loaded.

I reckon that the £4000 "optional upgrade" automatic gearbox, awning, "winter upgrade package" etc must add a fair bit to the MIRO. Have A/S ever built on the Mercedes base in standard trim? But they seem to quote all weights in standard trim.

I took Winnie to the same weighbridge 12 months ago with 3/4 fresh water in the tank, 1/2 tank of fuel, no wifey, but cupboards almost loaded and came away at 3900kg! Had to lose some rear axle weight quickly, so I dropped off the fresh water and a few "essentials", allowed wifey aboard, filled up with fuel and set off to Spain. It's too easy to get carried away when loading up! So watch out!

Regards, Barry and Pepi.

Last edited by stoneb on Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:12 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Fixing my tablet's predictive text!)
stoneb
stoneb

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:51 pm

I have a PDF of the AS brochure which I downloaded in 2014.

Beckford spec in there is :
MTPLM - 3880 kg
MIRO  - 3372kg
Max User Payload - 508 kg
Essential Habitation Equipment - 7 kg
Fresh Tank - 71 l
Waste Tank - 79 l.

If you PM your email address, I can let you have the PDF.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:42 am

Its a large investment. The previous owner may have told porkies. You need to weigh that van.
Then you will know what payload you have to play with.

Regards

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:12 am

The AS brochure doesn't show external access door to underseat storage, but it could be fitted. This one for sale in Nottingham (SMC) has it. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by merv Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:38 pm

On the question of the premium pack not being included in the calculation for the available payload, I was assured by a reputable dealer recently that since Auto-Sleepers don't manufacture Mercedes vans in standard trim, then the premium pack is included. 
I had this same query on my Nuevo in 2013 (different situation because it didn't include auto transmission or a winter pack) and since I did not receive a reply to my email query to Willersey, I tried to work out the rough weight of the premium pack for the Nuevo; I came to the conclusion that it wasn't really a prohibitive amount by the time I'd allowed for, for example, the lighter weight of alloy wheels in place of steel.
merv

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol Plus
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:57 pm

The handbook for my Gloucester quotes weights for manual and auto vans separately.

Auto box (ie Premium pack) is 39 kg heavier, than manual.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GWAYGWAY Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:51 pm

I have also emailed the factory to get a definitive answer as the the actual weight of this model with all the extras on including the winter pack. I also will not buy either without a weighbridge certificate, as to buy it then find it is not usable would be a disaster, I also asked if it could be upprated to 4000kg the same as the Burfords are. that would add another 120kg to the payload. removal of goodies such as spare wheel and corner steadies, awning etc., would not be good. Thank you all for the advice and help.
GWAYGWAY
GWAYGWAY

Male

Back to top Go down

Beckford  Empty Beckford pdf

Post by Beagle Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:24 pm

PLOUGHLIN wrote:I have a PDF of the AS brochure which I downloaded in 2014.

Beckford spec in there is :
MTPLM - 3880 kg
MIRO  - 3372kg
Max User Payload - 508 kg
Essential Habitation Equipment - 7 kg
Fresh Tank - 71 l
Waste Tank - 79 l.

If you PM your email address, I can let you have the PDF.

Hello, Peter.  Have just bought a Beckford, 2014 model.  Wasn't able to get a brochure but then I found this post of yours.  Not able to pm you as just joined the forum and it seems you need to have a certain number of posts before being allowed to pm.  'spose I could just put my email address in this post, but not keen.  Any suggestions!
Beagle
Beagle

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Beckford
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:45 pm

Hi Beagle, Either post a few more, it is 3 or 5 posts needed I think, before you can PM.

Or reply to this with your email, I will confirm I have seen it, then you can delete it. I think you have only a short time, hours not days, that you can edit your post.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Beagle Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:50 pm

Last edited by Beagle on Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edited to delete the email address that I sent to that helpful Ploughlin fellow)
Beagle
Beagle

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:52 pm

OK Alan seen it, PDF on its way. Delete away.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Beagle Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:32 pm

So now that Peter has sent me his PDF of the brochure I should properly say hello to the forum. 

Looks like I might have bought that 'new' (2015) Beckford that some of you spotted languishing for some time in SMC Newark.  Can't wait to get going in it.

One thing that I was wondering about is what difference the Mercedes base I've got makes compared with Peugeot, apart from cab-related things such as bigger/automatic engine.   Although the Peugeot seems to have a Bluetooth and iPhone-dockable radio, whereas the Mercedes doesn't.  Or can I expect more driving comfort, less noise or whatever?   

Meanwhile seems to me that the AS side of things is exactly the same as on both bases?  

cheers
Beagle
Beagle

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:56 pm

You get MobiloVan roadside breakdown assistance for 30 years. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and rear wheel drive.

And a malt whisky dispenser in the glovebox as well. allthumbz

Is your 5 or 7 speed auto?

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Beagle Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:03 pm

Like the sound of the malt dispenser, being a Scottish bloke and all.  Might get one installed in the shower as well.

It's 7 speed auto, 164 bhp.  Which probably adds up to lots more diesel.  

Mainly I was attracted to the winter pack, also because we live in Scotland.  But that roadside assistance is very good.
Beagle
Beagle

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:20 pm

I have that 7 speed in my car, lovely box, only 5 in the van though. I get about 27mpg without the smart trailer behind, 24-25 with. Your 7 speed should be better.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GWAYGWAY Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:55 pm

Hi 
It was the new Beckford that SMC has in the shop, that I was going to buy, I have been waiting to sell a bungalow I have to pay for it and the rest of my retirement, I sold it two days ago but  not got the money until finalisation. 
However Much as I and Wifey like/Love the Beckford I am probably not going to buy it. As  I will be seventy in two and a bit years I would not be able to drive it and I therefore take a hell of a financial hit to own it only for that time, It was the fact it weighs so much and the almost impossibility to drop the weight  enough to downplate it to 3500kgs and still have Wifey in it. I was going to drop the extra weight off the spare wheel and carrier, awning and  a few other bits but it would be enough to use.
I had screwed them right down in the price because it was an OLD model that was hanging around that made them want to get rid of it. I would still get the new vehicle advantages. I was giving a lot less that the current adverts show it going for.
I thought that ease of making two length ways beds from the seats was as easy as having two made up beds in a Burford, without the huge overhang.
I will probably go for a Lunar MB PV Conversion as it is smaller lighter and still a MB Autobox.  but not finally given up on Beckford I still love it but not just for two years. There is a second owner one at Canterbury for £55000 which is only a few thousands lower than the price I was getting it for from SMC. It is only 12 miles from me. Good luck with it Beagle  PS there is the extras to add on the weights you have.
I got an Email from  Peter Kingsnorth at the factory giving me the definitive weight.    
MIRO  3372kgs includes Gearbox,Alloy wheels, Driver 75kg, 90% water tank
90% fuel, 90%full gas bottle and Winterpack.
ON TOP there is  41kgs for the awning solar panel and reversing camera.
Actual MIRO therefore is  3413kgs which did not leave any payload fo me to drop it down in a few years to 3500kgs
The SMC model does have the side access storage which is a bit extra as well but not much.
GWAYGWAY
GWAYGWAY

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:16 pm

GWAYGWAY wrote:Hi 
It was the new Beckford that SMC has in the shop, that I was going to buy, I have been waiting to sell a bungalow I have to pay for it and the rest of my retirement, I sold it two days ago but  not got the money until finalisation. 
However Much as I and Wifey like/Love the Beckford I am probably not going to buy it. As  I will be seventy in two and a bit years I would not be able to drive it and I therefore take a hell of a financial hit to own it only for that time, It was the fact it weighs so much and the almost impossibility to drop the weight  enough to downplate it to 3500kgs and still have Wifey in it. I was going to drop the extra weight off the spare wheel and carrier, awning and  a few other bits but it would be enough to use.
I had screwed them right down in the price because it was an OLD model that was hanging around that made them want to get rid of it. I would still get the new vehicle advantages. I was giving a lot less that the current adverts show it going for.
I thought that ease of making two length ways beds from the seats was as easy as having two made up beds in a Burford, without the huge overhang.
I will probably go for a Lunar MB PV Conversion as it is smaller lighter and still a MB Autobox.  but not finally given up on Beckford I still love it but not just for two years. There is a second owner one at Canterbury for £55000 which is only a few thousands lower than the price I was getting it for from SMC. It is only 12 miles from me. Good luck with it Beagle  PS there is the extras to add on the weights you have.
I got an Email from  Peter Kingsnorth at the factory giving me the definitive weight.    
MIRO  3372kgs includes Gearbox,Alloy wheels, Driver 75kg, 90% water tank
90% fuel, 90%full gas bottle and Winterpack.
ON TOP there is  41kgs for the awning solar panel and reversing camera.
Actual MIRO therefore is  3413kgs which did not leave any payload fo me to drop it down in a few years to 3500kgs
The SMC model does have the side access storage which is a bit extra as well but not much.
Why not apply for your licence on reaching 70 and have the medical , then you will be able to drive it. instead of just renewing with the form that comes in the post?, not prying just trying to help, my husband is renewing his for the second time and has his medical  next month. he will be 73.
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by GWAYGWAY Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:31 pm

Simples,
 I lost my professional Pilots licence 25 years ago and my GP knows that I had an angioplasty then, and because of that HE WILL NOT under any circumstance allow me to drive an HGV, even though  I have one now and as it is on my record the DVLC will not allow me either, even though I am in excellent health now.  It is all down to the GP that I have  and  I cannot go to another as the records has been made.  They are particularly funny about medicals because of the FOOL in  Glasgow that killed the shoppers. They are now actively trying to remove every older driver from the class of licence as most of us will find, even good pass medicals will have to had  theadmill tests shortly and that will stop a few more carrying on.   AND all for a few more kilos to drive a leisure vehicle, not day in and out stress of an Artic and trailer, which is what the medical allows.
GWAYGWAY
GWAYGWAY

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:13 am

Sorry to hear this, The law is an a.. * Inappropriate Word *, they seem to be targeting older drivers, easy target, what about the younger ones who are taught to pass the test and not drive, they have far more accidents. ugh!!!I i`d better get off my  soap box now,  dangerous times we live in pardon the pun, seems to be the attitude that it wants to get rid of the older generation, decades ago OAP`s  would be respected, they are safer drivers as I find most not all are more courteous and safer drivers. with a few older drivers having accidents in the news lately "they " are jumping on the band wagon.What a sorry state of affairs. jmho, at least we can still enjoy our hobby albeit on a smaller scale.

Last edited by daisy mae on Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : comoputer seems to put in their interpretation, this gets worse.)
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:43 pm

it's not just the old who are having their licences restricted.

I am diabetic and have been on a three year licence, and therefore a 3500kg limit for as long as the plastic ones have been around. I have to complete a DVLA form every three years and usually am without an actual licence for about 2 months every three years while everybody decides that I can have a new one.

One thing everyone on a three year licence needs to be aware of - which is not well publicised - is that your photo is good for TEN years. This means that when you replace your licence in year 10 and can use the last photo you will have a licence apparently valid for three years, the photo is only valid for one.

(Unless this has changed recently) There is no obvious way of knowing that your licence doesn't have a valid photo. We discovered this at work when two of us were told we couldn't drive a company car as the insurance company didn't accept our licence. We both happened to be diabetic and our licences were in the same cycle.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Stolen)
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down