The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Safety/Security film on cab windows

+5
easylifer
Pete Taylor
fenderbender
Shuggiegreen
Maasai Warrior
9 posters

Go down

Safety/Security film on cab windows Empty Safety/Security film on cab windows

Post by Maasai Warrior Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:12 am

Hi everyone. 
I have been considering putting security film on the cab side windows, in preparation of a holiday in Europe this year. It is made by Active-Windows, 175 microns thick and I fit it myself. I have already tried out a sample from them and it looks pretty good, strong, clear and relatively easy to fit. It is sticky backed and care will have to be taken to get rid of all bubbles. My initial fear would be that the windows would have problems winding down but this is not the case. The film is fitted on the inside and if the glass is smashed by an intruder it would hold the glass together preventing access, hopefully. I am sure others may have considered or used this type of security film, but I am just wondering whether it is worth doing. I would be grateful for any thoughts or advice.

Thanks very much

Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway EB owner
Vehicle Year : Mar 2014

Back to top Go down

Safety/Security film on cab windows Empty Re: Safety/Security film on cab windows

Post by Shuggiegreen Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:44 am

Pete if you go for it would be good to see before and after pcs.
Shuggiegreen
Shuggiegreen

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Safety/Security film on cab windows Empty Re: Safety/Security film on cab windows

Post by Maasai Warrior Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:34 pm

As no one, so far, has offered any advice or thoughts on cab window safety film, am I right in thinking no one has used it or considered using it?

Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by fenderbender Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:43 pm

Only ever fitted window tint film, tricky to do without bubbles, best done under cover without any draughts.
Good luck.

Dave
fenderbender
fenderbender
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Transit
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:00 am

Pete; I am seriously considering this; having seen how a Sprinter's side windows can be shattered. However, I'll not be fitting it myself, looks like a job for someone who has done it before.

Pete.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Stanton.
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by easylifer Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:34 am

Hi,
I would think an appropriately displayed Masai assegai would be a much better protection content . However, after thousands of miles and many months touring europe (wild camping, aires and sites) I have never experienced any problems.

David
easylifer
easylifer
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:53 am

Hi Pete

Can't help with your specific question, but what David just said. Statistically you are very unlikely to be a victim. But of course anything you can do to avoid being robbed is obviously well worth doing, as long as it's cost and time effective. If you can fit the film without annoying air bubbles it could only help.

Unfortunately a motorhome is only as secure as the flimsy plastic catches on the equally flimsy plastic habitation windows.

Someone has come up with a gadget which locks the catches in place so they can't be poked open with a screwdriver. Complete waste of time in my opinion, since a good wrench on the bottom edge of the window would snap the catches as if they were made of (errrrrmmmm) plastic!! (Next time you are at a show, look how many have been wrenched open by ham fisted prodders and pokers, without pressing the little button. They are not exactly robust, to say the least!)

I think the best you can do is make sure it's properly insured, get a good alarm fitted (the Growler from Vanbitz is not cheap (!) but it's probably the best) display a few multilingual signs indicating that an alarm is fitted, and hope for the best. Obviously some care should be taken about where the van is left unattended, but even then it takes a professional thief only seconds to gain access.

Interesting discussion topic, to which I fear, there is no simple answer.

Dave

P.S. I have a genuine Masai assegai. They wouldn't like it up 'em!!!!!!!! hugegrins
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Maasai Warrior Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:01 pm

Gromit wrote:P.S. I have a genuine Masai assegai.

Thanks for all your comments. You wont believe this but I too have a genuine Masai spear, picked up in Kenya 50 years ago.
I was born in Uganda and spent my early years in Kenya and Tanzania (once called Tanganyika). The spear is in my garage at the moment, waiting to be cleaned. My wife is finally allowing me to put it up on the dining room wall (taken 38 years of pestering) - or perhaps I will take it with us when we travel through Europe this year!

Dave, where did your Masai assegai come from originally? Perhaps we went to the same school - St Michaels near Soni, Lushoto, up in the Usambara Mountains, Tanzania. You never know!

Sorry to slightly change the topic guys, but you don't often come across someone who has a Masai spear.

Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:32 pm

I've got one, plus many other bits and pieces. I was at Makerere almost 50 years ago as a student and then went on to be a teacher at Dagoretti High and Prince of Wales ( Lenana HS) Nairobi.

I wonder if in fact the plastic film would make it easier to break in ? It would, I suspect, make the process of breaking a window much quieter so less chance of being heard. Less messy too.

As others have said: fit a good alarm, park where you feel safe, never take anything away with you that you would be upset to lose or have damaged, lock money and documents away in the van in a safe place ( and, if like me, your brain is turning to mush, remember where you put them), keep your wits about you and then enjoy yourselves.

Q

Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:33 pm

Edit to add: a live chameleon was always reckoned to be a good deterrent in a car.....
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Maasai Warrior Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:58 pm

Jambo Q,
Yes a chameleon would be an excellent deterrent. Demons with eyes moving independently. A black mamba on the front seat would be interesting.
Salaams
Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:19 am

Masai Warrior wrote:
Gromit wrote:P.S. I have a genuine Masai assegai.
Dave, where did your Masai assegai come from originally?
Pete
Hi Pete

Don't know. My brother married a South African girl and went to live there for a while. He brought it back.

I'm not even sure it's genuine, but he said he was given it by a friend of his wife's family, and it doesn't look like tourist trash.

I certainly wouldn't want it between the ribs!

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Fri May 01, 2015 12:52 am

Our Stanton is going in for security film on the side cab windows next week. £180 +vat.
£65k van, opportunistic scrotes in every country in Europe. Not really worth thinking about. twiddle_thumbs

Pete.

Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Maasai Warrior Fri May 01, 2015 7:40 am

Hi Pete,
I agree with your thoughts regarding security. Because of bubbles it is probably better not to do it myself. Is it possible you can advise who you are using to do the work? I would also be interested to hear how you get on.

Thanks

Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri May 01, 2015 8:39 am

Here is the AA's take on this..

these guys have branches throughout the Midlands..

and another in Birmingham..

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Fri May 01, 2015 7:26 pm

Masai Warrior wrote:Hi Pete,
I agree with your thoughts regarding security. Because of bubbles it is probably better not to do it myself. Is it possible you can advise who you are using to do the work? I would also be interested to hear how you get on.

Thanks

Pete

I'll keep you posted.

Pete.

Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:33 pm

Had it fitted a few weeks ago before our 3 week trip to Scotland, where it was initially very hot (really!) to very cold and damp.

I cannot tell that the film has been fitted- clarity is exactly as before, no tint to the film, no bubbles etc.

I was surprised by how thick the clear film is; not at all like the tint film. Cost for the Sprinter cab windows (2 x quarter-lights and 2 x lifting windows £180 inc VAT.

Pete.

Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Maasai Warrior Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:45 am

Hi Peter

Your film sounds a success. As we were soon off to Europe, I decided to give Active Films a go. I purchased it off their EBay site. They also have a website. It cost a total of £30 including a couple of tools to apply. Fitting went better than I thought. The film came in a roll and I had to create a couple of tracing paper templates and obviously clean windows thoroughly. Unlike yours, my film has a visible edge to it, if you look closely, but it is as clear as the original glass with no bubbles, only one dust speck on all the four cab windows, so I am more than happy. The only thing is that you have to be very patient fittin, so it took me just over half a day, but worth it. I don't really want anyone to smash the glass to try it out and see if it is successful but I feel more relaxed having fitted it. They are based in Birmingham and they have a video on YouTube showing the fitting procedure. We are in Germany at the moment, off to Austria this morning.
Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Swansea Jac Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:46 am

Hmmm... I followed the link to the AA page, and found their conclusion:

"We're concerned that the film will become scuffed, especially when the windows are opened.
We can't recommend security film until a suitable material meets the right safety standards as well as providing security benefits." happyno

However, if we owned a posh new van, I'd be tempted to give it a try! happyyes

Last edited by Swansea Jac on Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I instead of if)
Swansea Jac
Swansea Jac
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 84
Auto-Sleeper : Legend
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:03 am

Masai Warrior wrote:Hi Peter

Your film sounds a success. As we were soon off to Europe, I decided to give Active Films a go. I purchased it off their EBay site. They also have a website. It cost a total of £30 including a couple of tools to apply. Fitting went better than I thought. The film came in a roll and I had to create a couple of tracing paper templates and obviously clean windows thoroughly. Unlike yours, my film has a visible edge to it, if you look closely, but it is as clear as the original glass with no bubbles, only one dust speck on all the four cab windows, so I am more than happy. The only thing is that you have to be very patient fittin, so it took me just over half a day, but worth it. I don't really want anyone to smash the glass to try it out and see if it is successful but I feel more relaxed having fitted it. They are based in Birmingham and they have a video on YouTube showing the fitting procedure. We are in Germany at the moment, off to Austria this morning.
Pete
I think the reason that I can't see the edge is because the fitter cut the template not just for the visible glass but included the glass contained within the rubber glazing strip, in other words he slid the film behind the rubber to the edge of the glass. He told me (and I hesitate before mentioning this) is if you put the film only on the visible glass, then when Johnny Scrote bashes the glass it is possible that a big chunk of broken glass just falls out attached to the film, leaving shattered fragments in the rubber and free access for the robber to get in. He told me that they also use this method when fitting to domestic/industrial windows, sometimes removing the glazing bars depending upon the stiffness/type of rubber. Makes sense.
Enjoy your trip and I hope we never have need to see if the film works!

Pete.

Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Maasai Warrior Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:40 pm

Yes, thinking about it I am sure your fitter is correct, making access easier as it keeps the glass in one piece, shattering neatly around the edges. Oh well let's hope Herman Scrote bashes the glass in the centre and it holds together and in dismay he runs off!
Now on a site by the shore of Wolfgangsee in Austria. We should be here for about five days, then we will move on to Zell am See, a lovely site we have been to twice in the past. Weather sunny and hot, travelled 300 miles today, glad to be relaxing in the van now.
Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down