The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello from new members!

+4
Admin
deckie
roli
dizzyprimrose
8 posters

Go down

Hello from new members! Empty Hello from new members!

Post by dizzyprimrose Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:30 pm

We are new to this site and, just beginning to contemplate owning a motorhome, having previously towed a caravan. We have trawled various websites to the early hours of the morning, for a 2009 - 2011 Symbol/Dorset or Warwick Duo/Sussex Duo. However, a difference of opinion has emerged about length! I favour either of the former two, as I believe they would be easier to drive, park and,reverse. My Partner however is of a different opinion. He believes there will be no noticeable difference and, we will gain far more space. To test our theories, we have booked test drives for this week end. There are just the two of us and, two lively young dogs. Once we have become confident drivers and, the dogs have had their rabies shots, we would like to take the motorhome abroad. Any advice would be most welcome and, if anyone is considering selling a motorhome, we would like to here from you! best_friends
dizzyprimrose
dizzyprimrose

Back to top Go down

Hello from new members! Empty Re: Hello from new members!

Post by roli Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:00 pm

asof_welcome2

I personally would go for the longer vans giving you more space for the dogs. I wouldnt have thought you would see much difference in parking the different lengths of van as you will tend to look for the wider parking bays anyway. We have never owned a panel van conversion always a coachbuilt the one nearest in size to what you are proposing was the Executive and I recooned that if you could park a Rangerover, Discovery or similar in a bay I could get the executive in. I do mainly reverse in though so my rear overhang could be over grass or similar
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by deckie Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:19 pm

Hi dizzyprimrose and welcome wave

Love your name hugegrins

Brian & Chris
deckie
deckie
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:34 pm

Hello from new members! Asof_welcome

Hello dizzyprimrose

Hope you enjoy your stay on the forum, hopefully a few more members will be able to offer you some further advice smile!

Site Admin
Site Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:57 pm

Welcome to ASOF gimmefive

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:54 pm

Welcome from Paul and Carol in North Wales handshake
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by plattypus Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:44 pm

Hi Dizzieprimrose
Welcome to the forum camper
Is the van going to be your only vehicle? if so The size is of importance. We have a Symbol ES and a large English Setter And it is our only vehicle. We can easily fit into supermarket parking spaces and manage to park in many small spots, that larger vehicles can not.
If it is not your only vehicle then size isn't too much of a problem. We love our van, so does the dog, he sleeps in the cab area, and once you have a routine sorted it's no problem, We spent most of June wild camping in the Hebrides fantastic!!
Good luck with your search
Regards
Plattypus
plattypus
plattypus
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 2006 Symbol ES

Back to top Go down

Post by ki Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:10 am

Welcome dizzyprimrose

I have a 2009 Symbol and chose this in preference to the longer 6.0/6.3m van types which are popular here in NZ. The Symbol is particularly space efficient, with its mid lounge, and high-top design. It will fit into smaller spaces and has the advantage of allowing sleeping in either a longitudinal or transverse way, with the former being essential for taller people. Some of the longer vehicles only allow for transverse sleeping although the Duo does provide for both, unlike the Warwick. The deciding factor for us was the close provision of the third seat-belted seat although this won’t benefit your dogs.

Good luck

Keith
ki
ki

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ex-Symbol.
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down