The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roundabouts

+12
repoort
pablo
daisy mae
Jaytee
PennyandDerek
rogerblack
Betty's Mum
groundhog
steve00136
Brian_K
hblewett
maricardo
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Roundabouts Empty Roundabouts

Post by maricardo Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:16 pm

Why is it that half of drivers using roundabouts do no signal correctly?  Exiting the roundabout = left turn = left signal.  Simple. I have seen so many times a car exiting with the right hand flasher going. Also waiting to enter the roundabout a car on your right turns immediately left into your road with no indication. Grrrrr.

Joking apart, I have learnt that in spite of the manufacturers expense of providing a excellent signaling system on cars, ignore any signal and watch for "car language".

Maricardo
maricardo
maricardo

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : sussex duo
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Roundabouts Empty Re: Roundabouts

Post by hblewett Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:23 am

Totally agree with you.  People and just too lazy to help the traffic flow safely and quickly.  One of my pet hates too.
hblewett
hblewett

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Worcester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian_K Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:56 am

All true.

One thing I've noticed, haven driven the MH for a couple of weeks, is the amount of people that pull out in front of you at junctions. I guess they are thinking "big slow thing coming - better get out in front of it"

Starting to get annoyed  fight

Brian
Brian_K
Brian_K

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by steve00136 Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:07 am

Same when we towed a caravan.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo / Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:13 am

In Cornwall we have double roundabouts as well, that really does confuse the emmetts...... confused3
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by Betty's Mum Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:49 am

steve00136 wrote:Same when we towed a caravan.
Yeah ... try being a cyclist!  Not owning a car, I seem to use vehicles that other road users despise  hugegrins
Betty's Mum
Betty's Mum

Female

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper : VW T4 Trophy
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:59 am

Lots if fun can be had on the 'magic' roundabouts in High Wycombe and Hemel Hempstead, where you have a number of smaller roundabouts sited around a large central roundabout round which you can travel in either direction ...

f1

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by hblewett Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:00 am

Brian_K wrote:All true.

One thing I've noticed, haven driven the MH for a couple of weeks, is the amount of people that pull out in front of you at junctions. I guess they are thinking "big slow thing coming - better get out in front of it"

Starting to get annoyed  fight

Brian
There's no doubt that's what it's all about.  We find this hardly happens at all in most other countries.  UK drivers are the worst, with Belgians possibly close behind
hblewett
hblewett

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian_K Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:45 pm

hblewett wrote:

There's no doubt that's what it's all about.

I have been thinking a set of air horns might be appropriate, but this should fit on the Boxer OK and have the desired effect:

Roundabouts L200HDfronttowbarandMeyerplow_zpsecc33929

Brian
Brian_K
Brian_K

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by PennyandDerek Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:13 pm

I have had this argument with quite a few driving instructors over the years, even ADIs.

Turning on the right hand indicator upon the approach to a traffic island is now de rigueur.

What is the ambiguity that drivers are trying to correct? Are we to believe that every driver will attempt to circumnavigate the island in an anticlockwise manner unless they indicate otherwise?

Once on the island, what ambiguity does the continued use of the indicator seek to correct?
What other road is there in the British Isles where we have to use an indicator to show that we intend to do nothing?

Some of the issue of turning left off the roundabout, with the right hand indicator on, revolves around driver's perception that they are actually turning right! The use of the right hand indicator reinforces the fact that the roundabout is perceived as a crossroads/junction. So called 'mini-roundabouts' have massively reinforced this perception.

The opinion that I have always put forward is the one that an awful lot of 'old hands' put forward. Namely, there are no right turns on a roundabout, only left turns. Therefore there is no need for the use of the right hand indicator.

This debate will roll on and on.

Derek
PennyandDerek
PennyandDerek
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES Lowline
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by maricardo Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:05 pm

Clearly put Derek.  The only thing I would dispute is the situation (very common) where the single lane approach to a roundabout  diverges into two or possibly three lanes immediately prior to the roundabout.  In the case of three lane approach I always assume the nearside lane is for traffic taking the first exit, the middle lane for the second exit and the outside lane for traffic moving further round.  In this case I initially use right hand indicator at the approach if I intend to move to the outside lane to exit the third (or more) road and then signal correctly with the left indicator  when exiting.
Being very cynical these approaches give opportunity for impatient drivers to overtake, nearside or offside on the roundabout.

John
maricardo
maricardo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:58 am

And using a R/h indicator whilst ON the roundabout also helps traffic flow as people entering do not have to sit and wait wondering what you are doing shrugg

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe

Back to top Go down

Post by hblewett Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:13 am

Jaytee wrote:And using a R/h indicator whilst ON the roundabout also helps traffic flow as people entering do not have to sit and wait wondering what you are doing shrugg
Precisely  up!
hblewett
hblewett

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PennyandDerek Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:29 am

Or not!

The whole problem is the use of the right hand indicator no matter what drivers are doing or intend to do - even turning left!
Under those conditions traffic flow is not aided at all.

Does he mean left:  look here or is it right? scratch head

Derek
(I said this would roll on and on)

Last edited by PennyandDerek on Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:31 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrong grammar)
PennyandDerek
PennyandDerek
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES Lowline
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:05 am

It irritates me if I am approaching a roundabout and see a vehicle on the opposite side coming towards me, no indication, so I wait, sometimes pass by me then turn left,  or go down the road I am waiting to get out of, if the driver coming down the road I was on had indicated then I could have gone after checking he really was going that way, and not forgot to turn indicator off. I was taught to use indicators as courtesy to other drivers, I try to be a considerate driver and would like the same back, but I have seen driving school car, with or without a pupil with appalling road manners, like two days I was near a junction well within the speed limit, and the driving school car pulled out in front of me, if I hadn`t jammed my brake3s on I would have hit him and this was a learner driving, that instructor should have told him to wait. deplorably.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by pablo Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:08 am

See extract from "Signalling - Let's talk driving"  - should solve the problem once and for all!
"Now let's look at more complicated roundabout.  Keeping to the above basic principal.

Let's assume there are two lanes on approach to this roundabout with no markings regarding which lane to take for any of the exits as you approach the roundabout. Let's keep the Highway Code and common sense in mind.
Taking the first exit, as previous.  Approach in the left-hand lane and keep reasonably close to the kerb, signalling left on approach and through the roundabout, cancelling the signal after leaving the roundabout.
Taking exits 2, 3, 4, and 5 inclusive. Don’t signal on approach, keep in the left-hand lane, keeping reasonably close to the kerb through the roundabout; then signal left when level with the exit the one before the one you want.  If taking exit No 5: The Highway Code says you can approach in the right-hand lane if the left-hand lane is BLOCKED.  (The definition of BLOCKED in the Oxford dictionary is; jammed vehicles unable to proceed).  Slow moving traffic in the left lane of a two-lane carriageway doesn't mean that lane is BLOCKED.
Taking exits 6, 7, 8, and 9 inclusive. Approach in the right-hand lane signalling right, keeping close to the island of the roundabout, then signal left when level with the exit, the one before the one you want."
            Roundabouts Image008
pablo
pablo

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:15 am

Take those exits as clock numbers and you are spot on; i.e anything beyond 12 oclock and you indicate right whilst approaching and on the roundbout until you have passed the exit prior to the one you want. SUCCESS, well done Pablo up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by hblewett Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:58 am

I agree with that too Pablo.  That makes it clear what is happening, reduces the likelihood of any crashes and gives everyone wanting to join the roundabout the best opportunity to do so.
hblewett
hblewett

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by repoort Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:14 am

...to digress slightly (not off topic - still roundabout), I have sometimes used a roundabout for a different purpose ....
Occasionally, and unfortunately,  I'm going along a road with a reasonable queue behind, with no chance of any overtaking (so I can't wait for a reasonable straight, indicate left briefly, slow, and let cars past ). Now, if I come to a quiet roundabout, I go round it, slowly - that lets the queue carry on, and I continue round and resume my journey, without impeding anyone.
repoort
repoort
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : T5 Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:53 am

repoort wrote:...to digress slightly (not off topic - still roundabout), I have sometimes used a roundabout for a different purpose ....
Occasionally, and unfortunately,  I'm going along a road with a reasonable queue behind, with no chance of any overtaking (so I can't wait for a reasonable straight, indicate left briefly, slow, and let cars past ). Now, if I come to a quiet roundabout, I go round it, slowly - that lets the queue carry on, and I continue round and resume my journey, without impeding anyone.

Clever idea up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by maricardo Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:17 pm

Used the complete revolution of the roundabout ploy many times to shake off a persistant tailgater.  He's in front, I'm not being bullied - everybody's happy!
maricardo
maricardo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by hblewett Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:42 pm

maricardo wrote:Used the complete revolution of the roundabout ploy many times to shake off a persistant tailgater.  He's in front, I'm not being bullied - everybody's happy!
I'm interested that you see it as bullying - I think that's what it is too.  I'm afraid I'm too long in  the tooth to let it worry me, but I do prefer to let people go when I can.  For the desparate ones I'll often say "off you go and have your heart-attack/accident/whatever somewhere else"
hblewett
hblewett

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:03 am

It's interesting how one's perception varies with circumstance.  I have to admit for many years I was the one with the busy appointments schedule to meet, who would be frustrated by the old dodderers holding me up.

Now the tables have turned!

However, I do try to let the ones who are in a hurry get past me; after all, they're the ones now paying tax . . .

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:25 am

rogerblack wrote:

However, I do try to let the ones who are in a hurry get past me; after all, they're the ones now paying tax . . .

Funnily enough I always have done that regardless of what I have been driving from cars to coaches to double decker buses to 170 mph m'cycles to pulling trailer tents and caravans and finally now a motorhome. The decline is well underway hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveUK Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:55 am

As far as I am concerned, all other drivers are total imbeciles.  Therefore I have to force-feed them as much information regarding my intentions as possible.  As stated by many already, on a roundabout I indicate right if exiting anything past "twelve o'clock" and then change to left-indicator as I pass the exit prior to mine. 

That seems totally unambiguous to me.  Just wish all road users would do that as well so I knew what they were doing!
SteveUK
SteveUK
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum