The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vandalism

4 posters

Go down

Vandalism Empty Vandalism

Post by David Williams Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:42 pm

Can anyone help please? I have an 2004 model Rienza and some lowlife has attempted to break in by ripping off the habitation door handle and damaging the lock on the outside with possibly a screwdriver? Is it possible to just purchase a new handle/lock and fit it to the existing internal locking system or would I have to strip and replace the whole system? Also is it easy enough to do the work myself? Any information would be appreciated. Thank You. Dave.
David Williams
David Williams
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Rienza

Back to top Go down

Vandalism Empty Re: Vandalism

Post by Paulmold Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:12 pm

I'm sure you would be able to do it yourself although I have never had to myself. There are a couple of different types fitted around that age, here is one type available which I think is the most common

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

if you need the whole assembly...(ignore the Swift name)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:18 pm

Hi there,

So sorry to hear that; you have my sympathies.

As a general rule, replacing a damaged lock is an easy job so I suggest that you note down all the details you can find such as:

o  Make

o  Model

o  Year

o  Size

.... and then go on the internet and feed everything into Google search.

Usually, the difficult bit is to then sort the two million "hits" that you get back.

Hope this helps. allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

PS  Just a word of warning.

The putative thieves may return with a pry-bar or something that will actually do the job.

We all need to be on the look-out for thieves with Christmas coming up.

Never forget ....

"You have it, they want it so protect it or lose it!"

especially on the run up to Christmas! tap_fingers  tap_fingers  tap_fingers

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by TeamRienza Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:11 pm

Hi David,

Sorry to hear of the trouble and inconvenience caused by the thief.

I also have a Rienza (2006) using the handles shown on the links supplied by Paulmold. The price of the interior handle is horrendous.

May I ask if the thief gained entry and do you have any other mechanisms on your door. There is a bit of play in my Hab door and I feel that one good yank would have it open.

I sometimes think I should reinforce it and sometimes I think an easily opened door might minimise damage in a forced entry. 

I would appreciate your views.

Thanks,

Davy
TeamRienza
TeamRienza
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Used to own a Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2006 Mk6

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:02 am

Hi there,

As far as I am aware, the general advice from the Police is to make it difficult for thieves to get into a property but then leave everything open so that they don't wreck the inside looking for stuff.

Apparently, once they are inside they feel safe enough to start hammering and banging at cupboards, internal doors etc; which seems quite logical.

We all live in the hope that a thief will run into the situation presented by a mate of mine when he lived in Egypt.

He and his wife woke up to the sound of high pitched wailing and went out of the bedroom into the hall where they discovered that their house had been emptied!

The high pitched wailing was coming from the kitchen at the back of the house where they kept their English Bull Terrier at night.

Apparently, the thieves had systematically emptied their house out on to the drive and into a van and had left the kitchen until last.  In the meantime, the dog had waited patently for them to open the kitchen door and when they did ...... ! Whistle1

After the initial attack the dog kept them pinned up agains the back door from where the Egyptian Police collected them, made them put everything back in the house and then took them to hospital/jail.

English Bull Terriers may be ugly but I just love them to bits! allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Vandalism Empty Vandalism

Post by David Williams Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:43 pm

Hi Guys, Thanks for info regarding door handles. In reply to Daves enquiry, No they didn't gain entry but as it happened within a matter of less than ten minutes either they saw me returning and legged it or someone else had disturbed them? It appeared they had tried to jemmy the door open with probably the same implement they used on the lock but didn't get in. The internal lock is just a twist Mechanism as shown on one of the ebay photos so I am hoping I can just buy the handle for the outside and slot it into the exsisting internal mechanism? Would be interested if anyone has views if this is possible? Will still enjoy Xmas whatever and wish all you Owners and families a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS too.
David Williams
David Williams
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Rienza

Back to top Go down