The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Additional Locker Space on the Bourton

+6
Claytaa
Sue68
Pete Taylor
padraigpost
PLOUGHLIN
lucasg
10 posters

Go down

Additional Locker Space on the Bourton Empty Additional Locker Space on the Bourton

Post by lucasg Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:38 pm

I am just about to order a Bourton...and would like the option for additional locker space rather than the skylight window.. Can anybody tell me if this option involves a Luton overcab rather like the Luton overcab sleeping option. The brochure is not clear as to how the additional locker space is produced.

Thanks
lucasg
lucasg

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Additional Locker Space on the Bourton Empty Re: Additional Locker Space on the Bourton

Post by PLOUGHLIN Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:49 pm

My Gloucester has over cab lockers in lieu of bed and is not too bulbous. Hope this picture link works. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by PLOUGHLIN on Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
PLOUGHLIN
PLOUGHLIN
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Additional Locker Space on the Bourton Empty Re: Additional Locker Space on the Bourton

Post by padraigpost Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:58 pm

Welcome to the forum,
               The increased locker space is not obtained by fitting a luton is is gained by deleting the skylight window and fitting a locker and 2 small side lockers, I wish in hindsight I had had this fitted to my Bourton as we never use the skylight (it only opens a few inches anyway) I had these lockers fitted on my previous Suffolk and they were great for storing bedding etc. you will love the Bourton.
Don
padraigpost
padraigpost

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Mercedes Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:59 pm

I have the 2015 A-S brochure in front of me; there are actually three roof options available (seemingly on all Pug and Merc coachbuilts), page 63 deatils these: Luton- "the over-cab luton offers additional sleeping accommodation for two people", Low Profile- The low-line roof is available with either a large opening skyview rooflight or additional locker storage". I assume that it is this third option you are enquiring about. Incidentally the Luton looks very bulbous compared to the others, it does not have any storage, just a bed.

Photos on the Bourton page show the option with the aditional roof lockers, it looks like they have just put doors on the side "cubbys" of the sky-light option- rather unusual shaped holes almost triangular (why they don't offer these side doors on the skylight version is a mystery) and across the front there is a locker with a long door, I'm guessing maybe 6-8 inches deep but the locker behind must taper down to nothing at the front because of the roof profile.

We decided to have the skylight instead of the lockers as they did not appear to give that much extra storage but the loss of light is considerable. We will use the side cubbys for soft stuff and I'll probably fit some kind of restraint to stop that stuff falling out! I'm wondering if A-S might supply the side doors after we get the van and I'll fit them myself if we think we need them. Best of both worlds?

For some reason I can't paste images from the A-S online brochure here but if you go to the "Coachbuilt Mercedes Video and Image Gallery" here:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
You can see the lockers on one of the photos.

Cheers,

Pete.

Last edited by Pete Taylor on Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Stanton.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue68 Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:33 pm

Don't you need to look at one before ordering?
Sue68

Female

Member Age : 101
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by Claytaa Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:20 am

We have the sky light on our Bourton. It does give a great deal of light and is a nice feature. Haven't seen one withe lockers but can see it would give a great deal of storage, I may be wrong. The idea of the Luton extra bed doesn't appeal to me, thing I would go for another model if more than two berth were required. We to love the Bourton, the driving experience is excellent and it seems to tick most (never all as with every camper) of the boxes.
Claytaa
Claytaa

Male

Member Age : 71

Back to top Go down

Post by Claytaa Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:21 am

Meant NOT a great deal of extra storage, sorry.
Claytaa
Claytaa

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mousy Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:45 am

I am pretty sure its a low profile front with lockers as shown in the link below. We use the wide locker to put two single duvets and three pillows in it. The locker on the rhs is deeper than that on the lhs. We use the side lockers to store our out door coats. 

Have you thought of buying a preloved Bourton / Northants and saving £28k?

If so please have a look at our van which is in immaculate condition. 

Regards Martin 

mousy
mousy

Female

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper : Northants

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:19 pm

The locker that replaces the skylight on the new (post 2012) models is far smaller than on the 2011 models. The height is only about 2/3rds of what it was previously. On our 2011 type that front locker accommodates TV, Laptop, Duvet and 4 pillows. At a squeeze I can even get in the interior silver screens instead of 1 pillow.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:45 pm

lucasg wrote:I am just about to order a Bourton...and would like the option for additional locker space rather than the skylight window.. Can anybody tell me if this option involves a Luton overcab rather like the Luton overcab sleeping option. The brochure is not clear as to how the additional locker space is produced.

Thanks

This is what you get

We use left for medicines, first aid kit and toiletries, right for cat stuff, travel rug and Dyson and centre for hats, gloves, handbags, shopping bags, kindles, ipad, etc.

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by lucasg Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:58 pm

Thank you all for the replies .. They have been most useful
Regards
Gerry
lucasg
lucasg

Male

Member Age : 70
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:01 pm

The overcab lockers have been invaluable for us in the Nuevo and I'm sure they will be in the Broadway... While the overcab skylights look nice and bright there is so much space wasted in the process.

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:25 pm

Interesting that both of those singing the praises of the over-cab lockers have earlier vans, which had a totally different roof profile (higher, and sticking out over the windscreen) than the current model and with far larger lockers than the current offering.
Cheers,

Pete.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]This is the current exterior roof shape.
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:22 pm

Pete Taylor wrote:
Interesting that both of those singing the praises of the over-cab lockers have earlier vans, which had a totally different roof profile (higher, and sticking out over the windscreen) than the current model and with far larger lockers than the current offering.
Cheers,

Pete.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]This is the current exterior roof shape.

That is why I posted! Peter's photo and your external photo show up the difference very clearly.
This is the photo of what we ordered in 2011

The right hand side takes all linen and towels for 4 weeks away, left hand side two fleece dressing gowns and shower shoes

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:32 pm

Pete Taylor wrote:
Cheers,

Pete.

There's very little difference, they are all 'Low Profile' roof models... 

They aren't that different in size if you compare them, the lockers may be a bit smaller as the roof line is straighter rather than curved but I dont think there's that much in it surely.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:45 pm

Actually I see what you mean now Pete, having read some of the earlier posts and looking online, the locker space is indeed considerably narrower! Having said that I'd still take the storage space over a skylight if it were me.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:50 pm

We looked at the earlier-generation  Nuevo/Broadway/Northants type vans (bear in mind we are moving up from the smaller, yet eye-wateringly expensive Topaz) and thought the locker-space looked enormous; a sales chap at Marquis Preston kindly took us round the back and showed us a just-in, new-spec, customer Stanton and pointed out the considerable differences in frontal overhead load-space; the van, with sky-light, still looked BIG to us and eventually we ordered one. He said that he could foresee having difficulty convincing folks looking to replace like for like and with (apparently these days very common) down-sizers.
I'm old enough to remember when "low-profile" meant anything less than a double-decker bus; speaking as one who had a bit of training in aerodynamics, I think the latest lo-pro coach-built vans are about as "lo" as it can go.  content
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down