The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Intro from a new to Auto Sleeper young family

+8
mikeandlizriley
burlingtonboaby
Cymro
modelman
daisy mae
Paulmold
boxerman
hectormain
12 posters

Go down

Intro from a new to Auto Sleeper young family Empty Intro from a new to Auto Sleeper young family

Post by hectormain Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:12 am

Hi everyone

Never been one for camping, my other half has decided that our young daughter (9 months) would probably love to go on holidays/weekend trips etc and a van is the way to go - I'm delighted!

I love vans, camping, the outdoors and this was great to hear, so here we are...

I've owned VW Beetles and a Westfalia in Mexico whilst living there but will definately not be buying another! I'll be looking for lots of advice and like to get to know all about a vehicle before buying as I'm keen that my family has everything we need.

I'll be posting in other forums (as I understand this is just the intro section) but after doing my research, I think we'll go with a VW Trident or similar as I rate VWs and we have around £6K - £8K to spend, so hopefully we'll be able to find something that will suit our needs and is decent for that money - I'd be keen to see whether people think this is feasible.

I'd be looking to buy over the Winter, as I believe there are good value buys to be had(?) and our big trip will be a drive down to Austria in August 2015 for a half ironman event where we'll camp for a week when I do the race - so we need something reliable, spacious and fun.

So, that's us...I really enjoy being part of enthusiasts forums as I think they can be a huge help and worthwhile, so hopefully this is the beginning of our great adventure, with lots of great memories to be created for us and our little one.

Cheers all!
hectormain
hectormain

Male

Member Age : 49
Auto-Sleeper : none

Back to top Go down

Intro from a new to Auto Sleeper young family Empty Re: Intro from a new to Auto Sleeper young family

Post by boxerman Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:18 am

Hello and welcome to the forum  wave 
Have fun searching for the van of your dreams.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Intro from a new to Auto Sleeper young family Empty Re: Intro from a new to Auto Sleeper young family

Post by Paulmold Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:35 am

Welcome from N.E Wales

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:35 am

Hello and  asof_welcome2 from Leicestershire, great idea.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:16 am

Hi and welcome,  wave you'll be able to get lots of advice on this forum.
In terms of £s these day 6-8k will unfortunately not secure much in the vw market. Even the early T4 tridents still seems to fetch close to double figures, but it's worth looking all over the internet to get a feel for prices and go and see a few to get an idea of condition.

Enjoy
John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:19 am

Hello & welcome from S/Yorks. drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:26 am

Welcome to this excellent Forum!
We had a Trident (well actually it was called the VHT then) on a VW base. Had it from 1988 - 98. Brilliant when the children were small - they slept in the "chicken loft" (which is the pull-out upper bed above the transverse bench seat / main bed). During the day we could store a great deal up there. Bike racks and a free-standing awning (which we carried on the small roofrack) were v useful. Got a propex underfloor heater installed, too - which made it snug in winter. A good choice if you can get a sound one.
But whatever you get, enjoy the motorhome. You'll be hooked for life!
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:46 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum from Peterbough .
Boaby (in transit)
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeandlizriley Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:58 pm

We have a Trident and love it. Been to the northern tip of Scotland, Cornwall, Ireland, Belgium and Holland. Just returned from a fab break in Brittany. However, your budget could restrict you to an older model. Can't believe just how much they retain their value. If you find the right one, you won't be disappointed. Good luck in your search.
mikeandlizriley
mikeandlizriley

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : VW T4 Trident
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by hectormain Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:11 pm

Brilliant - thanks everyone - really helpful. I'll copy and paste all your replies and show my other half...that way we'll be able to up the budget!! smile!
hectormain
hectormain

Male

Member Age : 49
Auto-Sleeper : none

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:02 pm

asof_welcome2
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:02 pm

Great! A young family to balance out us old fogies!  Hearty welcome to you. 

wave 

Sounds like you have a Financial Controller like wot I have.    gettinwrong 

Can't help with VW /Trident as have no experience of those but there are many on here who can; however no doubt you'll also need help from time to time on general stuff so will try to help. 
 thanksverymuch 

And remember, the only daft questions are the ones you DON'T ask!!    

wink02

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:31 pm

Hi there and a big welcome to the forum  up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Swansea Jac Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:46 pm

Welcome to the forum!  I first went camping (in a tent, with the school, sixty seven years ago, when I was eight.  Had there not been the inconvenience of a world war, I'd probably have tried it earlier!  Welcome to camping and to this wonderful forum.  Never be afraid to ask ifyou need help.

My son and his young family have the bug too...indeed, my 6 & 5 years old grandchildren slept in a tent in their garden last night...equipped with head torches and walkie talkies!  Enjoy!
Swansea Jac
Swansea Jac
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 84
Auto-Sleeper : Legend
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down