The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TVs - which make/model to buy

+3
Paulmold
roli
Sharon N
7 posters

Go down

TVs - which make/model to buy Empty TVs - which make/model to buy

Post by Sharon N Tue May 13, 2014 5:00 pm

Hello.  I am brand new to motorhomes although I once drove a VW split-screen campervan across the US but that's another story.  I have just purchased a 1999 Autosleeper Pollensa (Ford diesel, 2496cc, 43,000 miles) which my partner and little boy of 4 hope to get good use out of.  It is still with the dealer having a few things fitted (bike rack, aerial, fire blanket, fire extinguisher etc. If there are any additional 'must haves' please could someone let us know! We are thinking of purchasing a free-standing TV (quite a small one) around the 15.6"/16" size. Does anyone have any specific brands that they could recommend, and if so what are the good points and bad points (if any) so we can choose the best of what's out there!

As this is my first time to the forum - apologies if I have set up the topic incorrectly etc

Hope to see some responses.

Sharon N

scratch head
Sharon N
Sharon N

Female

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa

Back to top Go down

TVs - which make/model to buy Empty Re: TVs - which make/model to buy

Post by roli Tue May 13, 2014 5:04 pm

asof_welcome2
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue May 13, 2014 5:52 pm

If you only intend to use the TV when on hook-up then any small mains TV will do, if you want it to run on 12v then there are several makes that will operate on dual voltage. I personally have a mains only 15" Cheap Curry's Matsui which is fine although the viewing angle could be better (if viewed from a wide angle, it looks like a negative photo) so look for one with a wide viewing angle. Also consider whether you want a combi TV so you can play DVD's
My sister has a Finlux 19" which actually doesn't look much bigger than my 15". It has built-in DVD, see full spec here...

http://www.finluxdirect.com/led-tvs/19-tvdvd-combi-19h6030-d/invt/19h6030-d&bklist=icat,3,shop,tvcombi

One of the most popular amongst Motorhomer are Avtex which are 12v/240v but expensive. Only you can decide if the extra cost is worth it...

http://www.johnlewis.com/avtex-w165drs-lcd-hd-720p-tv-dvd-combi-16-with-freeview-freesat-analogue-tuner/p775176

Also check out Cello ..

http://www.celloelectronics.com/products/product_overview/168/C16115DVB_Ver3/

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Tue May 13, 2014 6:18 pm

Hi Sharon
Welcome to the forum from sunny Bridlington, really hot evening here at last, We have 16 inch Avtex flat screen with DVD player, runs on 12 volt and mains, abit more expensive than others, but worth the money.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Tue May 13, 2014 11:45 pm

Agree with Boaby. We had 'cheaper' 12/240 tv's and then got an Avtec. Picture quality is superb but the biggest difference we found was the ability to pick up weaker signals better.  If has lots of peripherals as well such as the ability to transmit an FM signal so you can get the audio on the MH radio. Well clever but haven't sussed how to use them yet  lol4

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Wed May 14, 2014 7:57 am

I have a 22" 240/12v Kogan TV/DVD combo, it has scart, pc, 2 x HDMI & RGB inputs, & the best bit is that it takes up no room whatsoever as I've built it into ( not onto ) the over-cab locker door
( I made a new door so the 'original' wasn't messed up ) 
And since 2 of the seats are forward facing, its very easy to watch, even in bed.  hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Wed May 14, 2014 1:45 pm

16" Avtex here, brilliant, well recommended ,on the  cheapest ones the sound is rubbish, tinny, also the picture distorts if you not right in front of it, depends whether you can live with that, also the Avtex has DVD/ CD player plus  built in Freeview and sat, just need a dish, with a five year guarantee from John Lewis, parts and labour. up!

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

TVs - which make/model to buy Empty TVs - which make/model to buy

Post by Sharon N Wed May 14, 2014 9:03 pm

WOW - thanks for the welcomes and sound advice. up!   I shall take a little time I think to mull it over before making my purchase.  The dealer I am buying the Pollensa from suggested a Vision Plus - also for mobile use etc (the 15 1/2" model) does anyone have any experience with this make?
Sharon N
Sharon N
Sharon N

Female

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa

Back to top Go down