The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Omnistor Awning

4 posters

Go down

Omnistor Awning Empty Omnistor Awning

Post by David06J Tue May 06, 2014 8:18 am

Hello, I am trying without success to fuit my proch awnig tot he Omnistor/Thule awning fitted to the van. I have tried three different anwning (buddies) and tried silicone lube and other solutions. Still I am unable tofeed the awning through. It was a perfect fit on my previous van. Cannot open out the channel as it is a painted surface and any attempt to do this would destroy the paint surface.

Has anyone else experienced this issue. the van is going back to the dealer today for another list iof faultss and will add this to the list but i am not confident that the dealer will have any solutions. Already the front lift up blind fouls the reverse camera and to date there is no cure.

Added note. Are there any representatives from AS browsing this forum?
David06J
David06J

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TP LP

Back to top Go down

Omnistor Awning Empty Re: Omnistor Awning

Post by -mojo- Tue May 06, 2014 11:33 am

As I understand it there is no single standard channel profile for awnings - there are several different sizes/types, so if the awning from your old van won't fit, it's probably not faulty, just different! You can buy adaptors in some cases - the dealer should be able to advise.

As to whether A-S browse these forums, it's common knowledge that they do, or at least have in the past, keep an eye on things here, but in the time that I have used the forum I have never seen an A-S rep respond officially. So if you want to correspond with them you will have to do it directly.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by David06J Tue May 06, 2014 11:37 am

Appreciate the speedy input Mojo. I will discuss with the dealer. I also was thinking about finding a bead that fits and having it sewn into the awning..
David06J
David06J

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue May 06, 2014 11:48 am

I had it the other way round. The smaller diameter bead for a Fiamma pulled out of an Omnistor.

I know that AS are very keen on owners helping owners and as such are happy that both this Forum and the Owners Club exist but (probably on the advice of there lawyers) they don't participate. Neither have I come across any hint that they might monitor the forum. Whether any of the staff do in their own time?

If you ring AS and ask for advice it always seems to be given with pleasure and without commitment.

Peter

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Tue May 06, 2014 12:24 pm

I think that you will  find the beading in the awning channel on your van will be 4mm, usual size is 6mm, you can get a Kador which is a webbing strip with a 4mm beading on one side and the 6mm on the other, you feed the 4mm side into your awning on the van,  then you will need the figure of eight plastic strips that run in the 6mm channel on the Kador and the tunnel of the driveaway awning fits in the fugure of eight. Hope you can understand this.

Margaret

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by David06J Tue May 06, 2014 1:00 pm

Hello. Thanks for the reply Margaret, yes definitly the awning size on the van is 6mm. I looked at the webbing strip solution using the figure of 8 plastic strips but was unsure if these will be secure during windy and inclement weather. As they are normally used for driveaway awning kits then the main part of the awning i guess is secured to the ground and only a small piece of the awning is putting any stress on the plastic figure of 8 channel.
David06J
David06J

Male

Back to top Go down