The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Toilet Chemicals or Bio Wash Tabs?

+9
theBeeGees
Peter Brown
Jaytee
PennyandDerek
Groper
Paulmold
algy
Dutto
Tincataylor
13 posters

Go down

Toilet Chemicals or Bio Wash Tabs? Empty Toilet Chemicals or Bio Wash Tabs?

Post by Tincataylor Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:56 am

I'm sure this topic has been done to death, and I have used the "search" facility which provided somewhat conflicting advice on previous posts.  Also most of the previous discussion I have found seems to be over a year old as well, so I hope that I am not boring you to death bringing it up again.

I am interested to hear if people are using the "chemical" approach from the likes of Elsan, Thetford etc in both green and the old formaldehyde versions or if they are using bio washing products, and if so in what form.  Also what is working well for you in the flush water?  I am motivated more by what works well rather than the cost, but if there is a product that is cheaper than the chemicals and also works well them so much the better,

Tinca
Tincataylor
Tincataylor

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK 2 Berth

Back to top Go down

Toilet Chemicals or Bio Wash Tabs? Empty Re: Toilet Chemicals or Bio Wash Tabs?

Post by Dutto Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:30 pm

Hi there,

For the last two years all we have used is the cheapest "Bio" laundry capsules or tablets we can find.  Two tablets (or one sachet) chucked into the cassette after emptying and rinsing keeps things fresh for up to three days even in hot weather.

We also use Formil Bio Liquid concentrate (from Lidl) in the flush tank.

I noticed that there was a slight build-up of "grey-stuff" on the rubber seal when I performed annual maintenance on the toilet last month but this only took a couple of minutes to wipe/rinse away.

With regard to the waste-tank we pour about a quarter of a bottle of Tesco's concentrated Orange Cordial into the sink after we have drained the tank.  Don't ask me how, but it definitely keeps the tank "sweet".  think_smiley_46 

Hope this answers your question. allthumbz 

Best regards,
 drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Toilet Chemicals or Bio Wash Tabs? Empty Toilet Chemicals or Bio Wash Tabs?

Post by algy Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:55 pm

Hi Tinca, I asked this question when we bought our Clubman, Ian (Dutto) answered and I took his advice using the bio etc, I can honestly say that in all the times no matter what the weather we have never had a problem, and the plus is that if your on a site that is uses a septic tank you can only dump bio waste into the cdp.As any thing else kills the bacteria needed for the tank to work. Hope this helps...Algy
algy
algy
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:00 pm

If formaldehyde, as used in many of the blue chemicals, breaks down waste matter, how come Damian Hirst uses it as a preservative in his art work (if you remember his sheep). I have no wish to preserve the waste in my loo cassette.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Groper Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:25 pm

Its all in the concentration of the formaldehyde used.
Groper
Groper

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:39 pm

Hi there,

Formaldehyde is nasty stuff:

In view of its widespread use, toxicity and volatility, exposure to formaldehyde is a significant consideration for human health.  In 2011, the US [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] described formaldehyde as "[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]".

On the other hand:

biological detergent is a [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] that contains [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] harvested from micro-organisms such as bacteria adapted to live in [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

Biological detergents clean in the same way as non-biological ones with additional effects from the enzymes, whose purpose is to break down protein, …….

I guess that is why they work so well in warm weather.  allthumbz 

Here's the latest project I built to use on our land in France where we intend to stay a few months later on in the year.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It's a Composting Toilet that doesn't even use bio-tablets, just a handful of sawdust!  up!  up! 

Best regards,
 drinksallround 

References:

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PennyandDerek Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:38 pm

Hi Tinca,
Probably the thing to remember is that 'top' and 'bottom' have to be compatible.  hugegrins  hugegrins   hugegrins 

If you use bio in one of it's forms in the cassette, then you really should use a weaker bio or conditioner in the flush tank.

Some people use Milton in the flush tank to help alleviate that black fungal/bacterial growth, but then that kills the enzymes in the cassette, so you may as well use a proprietary additive. You pays your money.....

We choose to flush the flush tank regularly.

Derek
PennyandDerek
PennyandDerek
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES Lowline
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:37 pm

Hi Dutto, bear in mind I am not the sharpest knife in the box  scratch head so would you explain in simple terms what you use and how in the loo? Do you use the bio instead of loo blue or as a keep fresh when not in use? Sounds fascinating. Thanks  up!

Just read your post again and I think it makes sense  now  think_smiley_46 

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:10 pm

John,

Basically (as Derek advises when using bio products) we use bio laundry products in both the cassette tank and the flush tank so that they are compatible.

We generally use Formil from Lidl as they are consistently cheaper than other brands but in October last year we discovered that Tesco were selling bio-tablets (solid powdery stuff) really cheap so we bought some of those; and they worked perfectly with the Formil bio liquid that we put in the flush tank.

By the way, it's not all to do with "economy".  Often in Holland, Germany and France the camping sites won't let you discharge "toilet chemicals" into their emptying systems.

Many years ago I was living on a site in Dorset and was told that I had to leave because the local Environment Agency was shutting the site down due to  high levels of pollution from the site's Klargester Sewage Treatment system.  I had a two month contract to complete and other sites were shut for the winter so I took a look at his system and procedures.

It turned out that there were two problems:
1.  After cleaning the swimming pool he dumped chlorine-rich water into his waste water system.
2.  He only had one Chemical Toilet Point on site and as a result some lazier visitors emptied their waste down ordinary toilets.

Both of these actions killed off the bugs that were supposed to be treating the sites waste water.  The owner acted, the discharge water improved, the Environment Agency withdrew the closure order and I got a two months stay for free.
But that's why they insist on bio products in the toilets nowadays. up! 
Hope this clarifies things. allthumbz 

Best regards,
 drinksallround 
Ian

PS
Over the years it has cost me to discover that the person who was "not the sharpest knife in the drawer" always won at cards.  tap_fingers  tap_fingers

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:23 pm

Brillaint, thanks Dutto  bezfriends

I am not that good at cards either  snigger 

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tincataylor Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:55 am

Many thanks to all who have replied A wealth of information to help me and it looks like a compatible bio strategy for both cassette and flush tank is a good way to go from both an operational as well as an environmental perspective..........and cheaper to boot  happyyes 

Tinca
Tincataylor
Tincataylor

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK 2 Berth

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:59 am

You don't mention what van you have. If the toilet is still under Thetford warranty I would stick to their recommended additives till it isn't.

Peter

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:23 am

Hi there,

I agree with Peter on the warranty bit.  (Though how Thetford would ever find out …. ?)

Not to worry, they actually do a "Green" version.  The difference between the two Thetford products being:

Aqua Kem Green is a toilet fluid with biological action, is environmental conscious, can be emptied in a septic tank (Test ISO 11734) and is awarded with Milieukeur and der Blaue Engel (Dutch and German Environmental quality label). Aqua Kem Green lasts appr. 4 days with average use and only freezes below -20 degrees Celsius. Aqua Kem Blue is our best selling and known product and has a more powerful performance, therefore it lasts 4 to 5 days with average use. It freezes below -5 degrees Celsius. Next to that also the perfume varies, AKB is pine scented and AKG citrus.

In other words, the "Green" version performs more or less like a bio-laundry product …..  allthumbz 
……. but I think it's a tad more expensive and not as easily obtained!   think_smiley_46 

Best regards,
 drinksallround 

Reference:

PS

I'm not sure what concentration is required on the Aqua Kem Green to get the -20 degrees performance.

With some chemicals the freezing point of the mixture is a straight line (e.g. methanol) which depends on percentage of each product whereas with other chemicals (e.g. mono-ethylene glycol) the freezing point has a variable eutectic.

E.G.

Water has a freezing point of 0 degrees.

Methanol has a freezing point of -98 degrees so the freezing point of water/methanol mixtures are:
100%:0% = 0 degrees.
50%:50% = -49 degrees.
0%:100% = -98 degrees

Mono-ethylene glycol has a freezing point of -13 degrees and the freezing point of water/MEG mixtures are:
100%:0% = 0 degrees.
40%:60% = -49 degrees. (eutectic)
0%:100% = -13 degrees.
(With a water/glycol mixture a "mush" forms as the temperature drops.  This happens until it reaches a point where it will finally go solid and expand.  This is why it is better to have some anti-freeze in your car or van even if it isn't at the proper 60:40 mix.)
Regardless of the above, I do know is that at -20 degrees I don't want to be living in "Petal"!  cold  cold  cold

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by theBeeGees Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:14 pm

This all sounds a very logical idea. Could someone please tell me how much liquid Formil to put in the flush tank please.  Thanks!
theBeeGees
theBeeGees

Female

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:28 pm

Hi there,

I put in a "cap-full" (there's a measuring cap on the top of the bottle) every other time I re-fill the tank.  (The reason for this is that I tend to "top-up" the tank rather than wait for the tank to be empty.)

I also make sure that it has time to mix before it is used.

Hope this helps.  allthumbz 

Best regards,
 drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PennyandDerek Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:24 pm

Same here, about a capful with every 4pt milk bottle full of water.

Us nomadic types can afford to be a bit frugal with the pre-charge since driving fluidises the contents of the cassette quite nicely. My argument is also that the more you use the loo the more fresh enzymes you introduce with the flush water.

It might be worth noting that if you intend to be static, it could be useful to increase the pre-charge somewhat to overcome the smelly 'solids above the waterline' syndrome.  hugegrins   hugegrins   hugegrins 

And on that note, since evening meals are shortly being served, I will leave you to digest the contents.  snigger 

Derek
PennyandDerek
PennyandDerek
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES Lowline
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:39 am

We used the Aqua Chem green for a while and did not find it at all environmentally friendly from an odour point of view so went back to good old Elsan which smells 'lovely'.  hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins
If I can get Swmbo off the 'I am just trying to save money' syndrome I will try your bio ideas  up! 

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:52 am

Jaytee wrote:We used the Aqua Chem green for a while and did not find it at all environmentally friendly from an odour point of view so went back to good old Elsan which smells 'lovely'.  hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins
If I can get Swmbo off the 'I am just trying to save money' syndrome I will try your bio ideas  up! 
Hello??  scratch head 

Bio-tablets are way cheaper; and anyway, what's the matter with saving money?   think_smiley_46  think_smiley_46 

The term "High Maintenance" springs to mind!   tap_fingers  tap_fingers 

How else could you afford to buy her that two-carat solitaire diamond ring she wants?   allthumbz 

Or even that bunch of flowers that you gave her only last week?   allthumbz 

Oh, please ignore the last sentence!  If SWMBO thinks the smell of Elsan toilet fluid is "lovely" there's no point in buying her flowers!   Whistle1  Whistle1 

Best regards,
 drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:25 am

Thanks for the advice Dutto  lollarge lollarge lollarge

The new Elsan blue is nice and fragrant  gardenb 

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dago Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:05 pm

Have used Bio liquid for about 3 years now in the loo without any problems. Having a separate flush tank I use Sterilising Fluid dilution in the water.
Both products are Supermarket Own Brands.

Also put their own brand orange juice in the waste tank as well to keep that smelling sweet as well.

Never likely to use anything else again.

Super Donator & ASOF Supporter

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : 2007 Executive
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by terrybrinklow Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:39 pm

Hi must admit I have used blue liquid then switched to green about 7 years ago.However after reading the conversations on here I switched over to Bio liquid tablets and I can honestly say "No Problems" tesco,lidl,asda,aldi, the only difference is the scent ,and price.I find the liquid tablets great to store and use,and usually buy what ever box is best value at the time of purchase.Thanks are given to the best advice I recieved from contributers on this forum.
terrybrinklow
terrybrinklow
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Legend
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:42 pm

I trialled bio detergent liquid last year with excellent results. I started putting some into the cassette with pink flush in the flush tank. Then I found it better to put a very small amount in the cassette and more bio in the flush tank - less than a capful per 4 litres - and that was even better. I noticed particularly that the cassette empties more cleanly and the "slippiness" of the flush water keeps the bowl cleaner. I do use Elsan Blue about once a fortnight as a disinfectant and we use cheap pine scented disinfectant for wiping around loo and basin when cassette is emptied.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by LynD Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:52 am

Have followed this and similar threads with interest, and once my bottles I inherited with my motorhome have been used up I will be switching to bio products. One thing I'm confused about....if I'm using bio products where do I empty the waste... into the CDP or  into a toilet? (which might get me strange looks). 

Thx L
LynD
LynD

Female

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by Dago Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:40 pm

Some loos in Europe don't take any chemicals down them, which is one of the reasons we swopped over to Bio years ago.

You can empty your toilet waste down any where toilet waste is disposed off, even your own toilet at home.
Very handy if arriving back from a trip and the cassette isn't quite empty & clean!

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : 2007 Executive
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down