The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Protecting Nuevo bodywork over winter

+2
Paulmold
Fatima
6 posters

Go down

Protecting Nuevo bodywork over winter Empty Protecting Nuevo bodywork over winter

Post by Fatima Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:46 am

Having read the forum I have decided against any sort of fabric cover for my Nuevo but would welcome advice on suitable products to give a protective coating over the winter which will make it easier to wash off the green coating on the roof in the spring. Also what is best to get off the green stuff which is already there!!?
Fatima
Fatima

Female

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Protecting Nuevo bodywork over winter Empty Re: Protecting Nuevo bodywork over winter

Post by Paulmold Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:37 pm

Never tried it but Fenwicks do an 'overwintering' exterior protector. Claims to repel dirt, algae and black streaks.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Protecting Nuevo bodywork over winter Empty Re: Protecting Nuevo bodywork over winter

Post by Peter Brown Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:38 pm

The best protection any time is a wax polish designed for use on GRP. There are plenty on the market most being intended for use on boat hulls. There are some threads on the forum discussing polishes and cleaners.

I use several Fenwick products but haven't tried the one that Paul mentions.

I find a good quality Micro cloth and warm water as effective as anything for the roof but I do clean it 3 or 4 times a year.

Peter

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by nuevoboy Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:25 pm

I was chatting to one of Fenwick's agents at the NEC and he recommended using the overwintering product if you are not going to be using the van and it's laid up for any time.

However, he said that if the van is going to be used, then don't use a wax polish, but simply wash the van down with their motorhome or caravan cleaner when you get back from each of your travels.
nuevoboy
nuevoboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : None

Back to top Go down

Protecting Nuevo bodywork over winter Empty Winter Precautions

Post by anders4 Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:03 pm

I bought a Protec cover for my 08 Nuevo ES at the NEC this Autumn and spent all afternoon cleaning the roof and rest of van today.  I haven't polished it yet (due to time constraints), and will be away for a week so plan to cover it while I'm away and will polish it with Autoglym when weather permits on my return.  I bought the Protec as they say their covers have a protective lining and will not scratch the bodywork, so here's hoping.

I have also drained the water systems but still have to drain the water pump (and probably remove the filters. I have seen details somewhere but can't remember where) :-(

A friend suggested filling the tank full with diesel while it's laid up to avoid condensation forming in the void over the winter and polluting the fuel which seemed reasonable so popped into Tesco and topped up when out for a 10 minute drive to dry off the van a bit after washing.

One thing I have noticed is that my control unit only seems to charge one battery and I have to select the other every week when it falls to about 12.5V. I leave the van powered up and will set the electric heater on a very low setting during cold weather.  I will also put on my Silverscreen windscreen cover before putting on the Protec, and with the heater on low am hoping that I avoid any frost or damp related problems over the winter.  Interested in what anyone else is doing or any advice, Thanks.

PS I am a newbie to motorhoming, just at the end of my first season so still on a big learning curve

Last edited by anders4 on Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding details)
anders4
anders4

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : 2008 Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Protecting Nuevo bodywork over winter Empty Should I worry about winter?

Post by oldfred Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:53 pm

Having caravanned summer and winter for 30+ years and motorhomed for the last two years I always thought these homes were like my house and didn't need special treatment over winter (apart from draining the water when it was icy). I clean my cars and motorhome with rainwater from a butt (probably acid rain but I don't measure the pH). Occasionally I use a car 'detergent' in the water. I do keep the motorhome in the drive close to the house so perhaps this keeps it from getting too cold or dirty.scratch head
oldfred
oldfred

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:04 pm

My neighbour covered his caravan last winter, left it hooked up and accidentally left the charger on. The charger developed a fault and boiled the battery. The cover prevented the gas venting out and it was the engineer he'd called to a 'gas leak' who identified the source of the smell - a lucky outcome.

I believe it would be risky to operate any device in the van if the ventilation is blocked by a cover.

If you are not using the van I suggest charging each battery for 6 - 8 hrs once a fortnight. How you do this depends on the type of Power Supply installation in your van.

It is very common for people to use 500w oil filled electric radiators to keep frost and damp at bay. They are safe and their use prevents 'ageing' of the heating elements in the vans installation.

Peter

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

Post by anders4 Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:50 pm

Thanks for your advice Peter, I'll have a rethink on what to do.

Regards,

John
anders4
anders4

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : 2008 Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down