The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

leaking flush tank

+4
Dutto
moggyminor1966
jimthefish
raymondo
8 posters

Go down

leaking flush tank Empty leaking flush tank

Post by raymondo Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:36 pm

after a long drive up a fairly rough road (it was an A road but still pretty bumpy) at my next stop I noticed some pink staining and dampness around the flush tank of my Nuevo where the pink flush had leaked out.

After consulting the thetford  manual I was shocked to read dire warnings about driving with the flush tank filled and the serious damage it might do to the vehicle.

As I tend to move on every day driving with an empty tank would mean that the flush tank would be almost useless to me - or would cost me a fortune in "pink".

Does everyone else drain their flush tank before every journey?
raymondo
raymondo

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek

Back to top Go down

leaking flush tank Empty Re: leaking flush tank

Post by jimthefish Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:55 pm

Been using mine half full on journeys for 8 year without problems, I never fill to the top as the one occasion it splashed out down the side of the van. No serious damage just washed off with a little elbow grease. Think your Ok with half a tank. Don't even drain it empty for winter storage, maybe I should. Jim
jimthefish
jimthefish

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:06 pm

Well I only ever put fresh water in my flush tank but have regularly driven with it full with no problem at all. I do always drain it down for winter though.
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:37 pm

Hi there,

I too drive with a full flush tank without any problems; and have done the same in caravans as well!  We do this because we often don't go near a water supply for two or three days so having an empty flush tank is not really an option!

On the models I have used, the flush tank "overflow" goes into the toilet bowl so I can't see why there would be any need to empty it other than in winter.

With regard to "The Pink Stuff" we haven't used it since "The Black Bits Plague" and only ever use a small capful of concentrated bio laundry liquid every two or three fills.

Hope this helps. allthumbz 

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:03 am

I always drive with the flush tank full - the availability of a toilet is often a prime consideration in choosing which vehicle to use (other than for camping that is).

I've always used the pink additive but it does settle and form a gel (that turns black if it dries) if you don't operate the pump regularly - at least every couple of weeks.

I had no trouble at all with my first three vans.  From new this one leaked from the outside filler cover and from the edge of the internal tank access cover.

Thetford provided warranty but after a couple of attempts to seal both had failed, advised that the tank should be empty when the van was driven.  I telephoned Mark at the Service Centre and he confirmed that in his experience most people drove with tanks full and they didn't leak.

At my insistence a thicker seal on the external cap fixed that and (although Thetford sent me new sealant that I still have) over time the 'gelling' action of the additive sealed the top cover.

My unproven theory is that the flush tank is slightly distorted as a result of manufacture storage or installation causing both leaks but their is no visible evidence of that.

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Wozzon Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:10 pm

In my previous van I used to fill up the flush tank before setting off and never had a problem.

Since getting my new van and reading the manual I noticed that it does say ‘do not travel with a  full flush tank’.

So now I only half fill it, which can be a bit of a pain because it means topping the thing up more often when away.

I never realised just how often the other half used it ! snigger
Wozzon
Wozzon
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Harper22 Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:44 pm

This could explain a little mystery I had while away this weekend, For the first time ever when i went to empty the waste tank cassette the recesses where the handles are on the tank were full of the pink flush mixture, never happened before and i assumed the cassette wasn't pushed all the way into place but it could also of been the rough roads and spillage, does anyone know where its likely to leak from? in all fairness its probably fuller than it usually is so that's prob part of the problem.
Harper22
Harper22

Male

Member Age : 44
Auto-Sleeper : Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post by Enn Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:28 pm

Harper22 wrote:This could explain a little mystery I had while away this weekend, For the first time ever when i went to empty the waste tank cassette the recesses where the handles are on the tank were full of the pink flush mixture, never happened before and i assumed the cassette wasn't pushed all the way into place but it could also of been the rough roads and spillage, does anyone know where its likely to leak from? in all fairness its probably fuller than it usually is so that's prob part of the problem.
I think others are talking about the flush tank spilling out into the inside of the van, but I maybe wrong, I've had a little leak out of the 'toilet roll' holding device if the flush tank is really full, into the shower tray. If you are getting leakage onto the top of the removable holding tank, in my experience, the seal round the opening hole needs replacing. Very easy to do and a new seal costs about £7.00 from most camping accessory shops.
I would keep an eye on it and if a regular occurrence fit a new seal.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 56
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by raymondo Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:53 pm

I think others are talking about the flush tank spilling out into the inside of the van,
Indeed so (at least I was) although good to hear that it is an easy/cheap fix although to be honest I wasnt too worried about it until I read the dire warnings in the hand book, Im somewhat relieved that I am not the only person that doesnt drain the flush tank before every journey and that driving with it at least partially full is the norm.
raymondo
raymondo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Harper22 Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:53 pm

There seems very little point in having your own toilet in transit if you cant travel with any flush or waste tank water in there lol, or thats always been my theory. Sorry raymondo the way I read your post was the flush liquid had leaked onto the flush tank (to me the waste tank) I have had a case where something was sat on the flush button in transit and the bowl cover (between the bowl and waste tank) had been left closed and the flush had flushed itself until the bowl over flowed. Since then i remove the flush fuse when loading the washroom for transit lol
Harper22
Harper22

Male

Member Age : 44
Auto-Sleeper : Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post by raymondo Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:43 pm

Sorry raymondo the way I read your post was the flush liquid had leaked onto the flush tank (to me the waste tank)
no, the pink solution in the tank that supplies the flush (as opposed to the blue solution in the waste) had leaked out of (I think) the top of the tank ran down the tank and left small pools of pink solution on the floor and around the toilet itself.

As I said I wasnt unduly worried until I read the Thetford instruction leaflet!
raymondo
raymondo

Male

Back to top Go down