The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cab Door Security Bar.

+4
minky58
Peter Brown
-mojo-
Incaheaven21
8 posters

Go down

Cab Door Security Bar. Empty Cab Door Security Bar.

Post by Incaheaven21 Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:15 am

Does anybody have any thoughts on Cab Door Security Bar.  Thinking of getting one.  On looking on the web-site, they stretch from one front door to the other.  Are they any good?
Thanks.
Incaheaven21
Incaheaven21

Female

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : None

Back to top Go down

Cab Door Security Bar. Empty Re: Cab Door Security Bar.

Post by -mojo- Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:09 pm

Opinion only?: waste of money. Your van has got glass all round - if someone wants to get in they will smash a window and hop in through the opening.

I've never bothered with fancy locks or alarms - I rely on the immobiliser to stop people nicking it if they get in (most - even quite old - vans have very good originally fitted immobilisers), and insurance if there happens to be anything of value in it at the time.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:24 pm

I bought one when we got our first van but never used it. I agree 100% with Mojo. I would concentrate on Motorhome specific Insurance - I think the Caravan Club policy is very good.

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by minky58 Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:52 pm

As with most 'security' products it's about visual deterrents. If a thief thinks it may be difficult or time consuming to break in then it might persuade them to move on. No amount of security will stop someone if they are determined.
minky58
minky58

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Talisman

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:48 pm

The same thing can be achieved on the Inca (being a boxer) by using the seat belts thorugh the arms rests and fitting the seat belt end in its clamp. I am sure there is a post on this very early in this forums life.
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

Fluff likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Incaheaven21 Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:43 am

Hello, Roli,Mojo,Peter,Minky21
Big thanks for your replies.  Much appreciated.  I will take all your advice onboard.  You have saved us lots of money.
Yvonne.
Incaheaven21
Incaheaven21

Female

Back to top Go down

Cab Door Security Bar. Empty Boxer Cab Door Security

Post by bms10 Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:25 am

Hi
For what this is worth, based on many years 'travellin' -no matter what you do you are buying time. If a vagrant sees a target that is easy picking he is more likely to take that option rather than the one which will delay him with obstacles.
On cab doors similar to your Inca ( and mine) there is no need to smash glass to gain access as a few seconds with a stanley knife will remove the small fixed window - hand through - release door catch and he's in. Using the seat belts as suggested to secure the door is also 'no problem ' one flick of the stanley and hey ruined seat belt and open door.
The best and cheapest deterrent for cab door security is a piece of chain fed round each door handle and through the spokes of the steering wheel secured with a padlock. If you use a large padlock as opposed to a small the weight of the hasp will keep the chain in place without locking when parked up at night. ( you may need to get out in a hurry ). Our chain is covered with a cotton sleeve to guard against damage
I, and many others I know from winter touring have used this method for years - many who have not used a deterrent have at best been inconvenienced !!  Your insurance company may well 'wonder' if you took all reasonable precautions. I am not scare mongering but I've seen it all too many times over the years where owners have chanced it.
Final recommendation - fit an extra Fiamma type habitation door lock - there are several models available I had little or no trouble fitting one to our Inca - then you are trying to make things difficult!!. Don't leave valuables in the front dash locker passenger side, we leave ours open and empty when parked.
Hope this helps:up!: 
Regards
Brian
bms10
bms10
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper : Inca 2.8 hdi

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:38 pm

Hi, when we do the odd car boot sale using the van, I was concerned that needing the nearside door open that this meant the off side door would also be open/unlocked and not being able to keep an eye on everything i slipped the seat belt through the door pull and plugged it into the seat belt socket. not only is it a tight fit, the door can't be opened mm, to allow the belt to be cut. it won't stop them breaking the glass, but stops the sneaky sticky fingered brigade and it don't cost a penny.
Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo Ek
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:28 pm

From experience.
1) Only one has tried to steal one of my vehicles. That was to jemmy the sunroof open.did not succeed.!!
2) Many have broken in to steal what they think is there. This is the Type of event that has happened 3 times to me.
Even with a Motorhome alarm, Van Blitz i might add,they opened the passenger door easily. Alarm sent them on the way.
Never leave anything valuable in sight. This was in Spain and at the supermarket .Seen to go into store.
After that we went into stores in ones.They know if you are overseas you have all your belongings in the Motorhome.So there is bound to be something of value.
I always thought a dog would be the best deterrent.
regards
mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Incaheaven21 Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:48 am

Many thanks to all you kind motorhomers.  Your wise words will be very carefully taken on-board.
Thanks, I really mean that.

incaheaven21
Incaheaven21
Incaheaven21

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:17 am

roli wrote:The same thing can be achieved on the Inca (being a boxer) by using the seat belts thorugh the arms rests and fitting the seat belt end in its clamp. I am sure there is a post on this very early in this forums life.
This is one I'd not heard of and I've found you can do the same with Mercedes cab doors. If a perpetrator has the nous and desire to unlock/break the cab doors I don't think the seat belt will be any deterrent.

I think if you feel you need something then Brian's chain and padlock would be the best.

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down