The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cowl cover for water heater on Nuevo ES 2006

4 posters

Go down

Cowl cover for water heater on Nuevo ES 2006 Empty Cowl cover for water heater on Nuevo ES 2006

Post by richard mann Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:23 pm

We have been  advised to remove the outside cowl cover, covering the flue for the water heater, on our recently purchased Nueovo ES 2006 every time we use the gas to heat the water & then replace it . This is not easy to do and not something you would want to fiddle with on cold winter days/nights or wet days in the summer. In fact the system cuts out if it is not removed!
Has anyone found a solution to repalcing the cowl with a different type that does not need removing when using gas to haet water. We ofter do not use sites with hook up & sometimes wild camp.
Thanks you.
'P'
richard mann
richard mann

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Cowl cover for water heater on Nuevo ES 2006 Empty Re: Cowl cover for water heater on Nuevo ES 2006

Post by Paulmold Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:40 pm

When you say it is 'difficult to do' , do you mean it is physically hard to remove? There is a knack to doing it, it shows a picture of the way to do it embossed on  the cowl (squeezing the top between thumbs and fingers). As you have to go outside to the gas locker to turn your gas on at the cylinder, I don't find it difficult to remove the cowl while I'm out there.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Cowl cover for water heater on Nuevo ES 2006 Empty Re: Cowl cover for water heater on Nuevo ES 2006

Post by rogerblack Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:13 pm

The reason the system cuts out is that leaving the cover in place renders the flue inoperative and hence if the system kept trying to work there would be a danger that flue gases would accumulate inside the 'van with potentially fatal results!

It is critical for safe flue operation that the cover is completely removed.  The system has been carefully designed to prevent the possibility of flue gases entering the vehicle. Therefore, attempting to fabricate any sort of part-cover to remain in place would compromise safe operation and be extremely dangerous.  The installation instructions even advise against locating near any other covers, trim strips etc to ensure that the flue is on a flat surface exposed to wind from all directions.

This is also why the outlet should be mounted away from any opening windows, or if this is unavoidable a warning plate must be affixed to any window/s near the flue outlet .

I get what you are saying about the nuisance element of having to go out in the rain to remove/replace the cover but surely it's better to get a bit damp than be asphyxiated! 

The manual warns against not replacing the cover when the heater is not in use, to prevent the ingress of water, dirt or insects etc. as this may impair performance. However, this would not appear to be so much of a safety issue. Certainly when we are using the water heater on gas, we only replace the cover before driving off, not after each time of heating the water up.
rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:24 pm

I had the same kind of cover on my Hymer. I found that the knack was to press against the top front of the cover while pulling the top edge at the same time until the split bits lifted over the little wedges. Then you have to pull straight off. I then put it on top of the dashboard so that it did not get lost and I remembered to replace it when moving on. I agree that you do not replace it while on site.  It is really there to stop road muck (including salt!) from getting into the flue and corroding the aluminium bits.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down