The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Snow Chains

5 posters

Go down

Snow Chains Empty Snow Chains

Post by ian Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:46 am

I was happily reminiscing my last visit to Andorra when it struck me that in winter there's a lot of snow and that it is often a requirement for snow chains to be fitted before entering the region.

I have no experience of snow chains fitted to the motorhome.

Any 'tips or advice' before I splash out on some?

Cheers Ian SnowballFightSnowballFight
ian
ian

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Executive

Back to top Go down

Snow Chains Empty Re: Snow Chains

Post by Dutto Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:42 pm

Hi there,

1) Don't bother if you don't have to. They are expensive and can ONLY be used on SNOW!

2) Wait until December and Lidl will have a set for relatively cheap price.

Hope this helps.allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by ian Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:57 pm

Thanks for the reply, 

I didn't explain my plans fully. We intend setting off in September to return in late December. We will set off again in early January and return again in the Spring. We have lots of experience of the journey(s) over the Pyrenees having done it many times in winter in our 4x4. We have not travelled in winter in the motorhome and as I said some regions insist that snow chains must be worn before entering the region. Obviously at this time it is because of the extensive snow/ice.

When you say only used on snow does that exclude icy roads with compacted snow? 

Cheers Ian
ian
ian

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:16 pm

Ian,

Compacted snow is fine it's when you run on to tarmac that you get the chains sparking, overheating and ruining the tyres!

I'm not sure whether or not their use removes the legal requirement to carry chains but a few ASOF members have had great results with dedicated snow tyres and didn't need chains.

We lived up in Aberdeenshire when it used to snow in Scotland.  The three sets of snow chains I owned all finished up as corroded lumps of steel (which is why I needed to keep buying new ones) so in the end we bought and got by fine with snow tyres.

Hope this helps.allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

PS Dandy recommended these tyres as follows:

"I fitted a pair of Gislaved Norfrosts and noted an immediate difference - they now chew up the campsite with ease

Seriously though, great grip under all conditions so far, and quieter than the Contis (except on Shellgrip at traffic lights) - just looking forward to the snow!"

http://www.ityre.com/en/tyres/catalog/gislaved/model/1300/

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by ian Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:52 pm

Thanks Ian,

That's very helpful.

Yes you do have to have chains in the vehicle to enter some of regions of France in winter otherwise you can face a spot fine and you know how the French police love those....

I'm still not happy, not only from what you say, which confirmed some of my suspicions but also with the prospect of having to keep putting the chains on or off depending on the condition of the roads...snow or no snow. In my experience going up and down some of those hills/mountains it can be changing every couple of miles.

I think I might give more thought to routes. I know how to avoid the snow but I do tend to enjoy my visit to Andorra and stock up for Christmas...and the chance of there not being snow is pretty remote.

Cheers Ian
ian
ian

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:03 pm

I've no doubt that they are a compromise compared to chains, but had you considered snow "socks"? A friend used some during this year's (thankfully short) snow spell and he reckoned they worked fairly well and were very tolerant of mixed running where the snow had broken up (which chains do not tolerate at all well).

Mind you, I don't know what the situation would be if you used socks where chains were mandatory...
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by andygump Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:28 pm

Winter Tiyres, Winter Tyres, Winter Tyres.   No contest:smile!:

Andy
andygump

Male

Member Age : 85
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by BobK Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:39 pm

Google "spikes-spider" and you will see an interesting version of snow chains.    I had an old Volvo version years ago and they were great and a lot less hassle to fit and remove depending on conditions.

cheers.
BobK
BobK

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Autosleepless!!

Back to top Go down