The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Post 2000 transit based coachbuilt

5 posters

Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post 2000 transit based coachbuilt  Empty Re: Post 2000 transit based coachbuilt

Post by Paulmold Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:03 pm

Clubman2013 wrote:Hello all,

Why do they no longer class these as a monocoque?

Many TIA smile!

Because they are not a monocoque. A monocoque has a one-piece body - no seams, roof , sides, back, front all moulded as one. The Ravenna is made like a caravan, one-piece roof but separate sides, front and back with seams along all the joints. Examples of monocoques are Clubman & Gatcombe on VW's, Legend on Ford, Executive and Talisman on Peugeot.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post 2000 transit based coachbuilt  Empty Re: Post 2000 transit based coachbuilt

Post by Paulmold Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:11 pm

Clubman2013 wrote:
Paulmold wrote:

Many TIA smile!

Because they are not a monocoque. A monocoque has a one-piece body - no seams, roof , sides, back, front all moulded as one. The Ravenna is made like a caravan, one-piece roof but separate sides, front and back with seams along all the joints. Examples of monocoques are Clubman & Gatcombe on VW's, Legend on Ford, Executive and Talisman on Peugeot.

Not like any caravans I ever owned, which all leaked like a sieve. How do these things handle the water, any inherent problems?

Exactly the reason why monocoques are very sought-after and hold their value. I'm not saying that non-monocoques leak but they have the potential to leak at the seams just like a caravan.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:43 pm

The Mk7 Transits stopped being used by AS for one reason - Price. As a base they are vastly superior to the Sevil made offerings of Pugeot, Fiat and Citroen
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post 2000 transit based coachbuilt  Empty 2003 ravenna nice motorhome not rust ei

Post by stephenday Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:16 pm

I used to own a 95 old shape transit with a rimor body. Horrid underpowered rust bucket it were but the rimor bit was OK. I'm wondering if the newer transits were any better power wise, and rust wise? Looking at a few builders vans these days it wouldnt appear so!

I am looking at maybe something like a Ravenna (VW clubman) etc, but would like some sleeping space above the cab. Any models of around that era, as cost is an issue, and any pitfalls to watch out for apart from the scams?

Many TIA smile!
stephenday
stephenday

Male

Auto-Sleeper : ravenna

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:56 am

Roli is correct that the newer Transits are superb vehicle. The problem was not so much the actual price of the chassis but the payment terms applied by Ford combined with a total unpredictability in chassis availability. The removal of the rear wheel drive version also made all AS habitation designs redundant.

AS already had Mercedes on board and it is at least the equal of the Ford and many would say better. I've had both and no complaints about either.

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down