The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Toilet Chemicals

+5
crumb
Dago
Dutto
Robbie
shelldrake
9 posters

Go down

Toilet Chemicals Empty Toilet Chemicals

Post by shelldrake Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:46 pm

Have been using One Chem toilet fluid for past few weeks whilst in Spain. Having obeyed the instructions the toilet has stank and takes your breath away with its acrid smell. We have had to stop using it as have neighbouirs.
Anyone have any comments good or bad on One Chem before I mail them to complain.
shelldrake
shelldrake

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Sigma

Back to top Go down

Toilet Chemicals Empty Re: Toilet Chemicals

Post by Robbie Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:50 pm

We use 2 bio washing tablets works a treat and a lot better for the environment than the blue chemical, smile! O cheap as chips from lidl or just what ever ones pop up on offer hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Cotswold

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:03 pm

shelldrake wrote:Have been using One Chem toilet fluid for past few weeks whilst in Spain. Having obeyed the instructions the toilet has stank and takes your breath away with its acrid smell. We have had to stop using it as have neighbouirs.
Anyone have any comments good or bad on One Chem before I mail them to complain.

Wouldn't touch ANY of these so called "Toilet Chemicals" so have no previous experience! wave

Also, most toilet "chemicals" are prohibited on some of the more remote CL sites in the UK in case they ruin the bacteria in the septic tank; and in many places in Germany.

We use Lidl's "Adil Bio Wash":

o in sachet form for the toilet cassette (one sachet if it is cold and two if it is warm), and,

o from a bottle in the flush water (one capful shook up in a water bottle full of water and added every other tank fill).

We use Adil brand as a preference because it is much cheaper than anything else in the UK but other bio brands are available in Lidl and Aldi in Spain.

I have had no problems with the smell since using bio washing liquids. up!

However, hard as it may be for some people to believe, I may be less sensitive than some other people. hugegrins

Hope this helps. up!

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Toilet Chemicals Empty Motorhomefun

Post by shelldrake Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:42 pm

Have had much the same answers from Motorhomefun. Looks like no one uses One Chem so off to Lidl in the morning! allthumbz
shelldrake
shelldrake

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dago Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:18 pm

Just to reiterate what's been said already.
Now on our 4th year of using bio laundry in our toilet casette. Only changed back to the green chemical over December as I found some bottles left over in our outhouse. Not that I'm scotish mind think_smiley_46 , just seemed a shame not to use it considering the cost of the chemical product Whistle1

Once they've gone, it's back to bio again in the Spring.
Wouldn't use anything else, as you can dispose of it anywhere in a toilet or dump station. And it does make the loo smell sweeter too hugegrins

In warmer ( summer ) climes, I use twice the dose, but what the heck, it's cheap snigger

As we have a seperate flush tank I use sterilising solution in the water to get rid of those black specs, that we used to fins, when using the pink liquid in the old days.

Super Donator & ASOF Supporter
Super Donator & ASOF Supporter

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : 2007 Executive
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Toilet Chemicals Empty Formaldehyde free

Post by crumb Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:36 am

Hi
We've used one chem mainly because it's formaldehyde free which is the bit certain sites don't like in their chemical disposal and it means i can dispose of the contents at home if need be, i've never had a problem with smell, are you sure the seal on the catch tank is in good condition, it is interesting to read about the bio products that people are using, we shop at Aldi so will have to investigate further.
crumb
crumb
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Toilet Chemicals Empty Seal

Post by shelldrake Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:57 pm

The seal is OK but as mentioned despit using the correct amount, the stench is gagging!!!! censored!
Now using a product from Lidl that was recommended called Formil and at £2 if its no good nothing wasted allthumbz
shelldrake
shelldrake

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:05 pm

Hmm, I'm finding this quite interesting, I (we) have only EVER used the various toilet chemicals as I was of the impression that these chemicals actually

'Broke-down' the waste to a more acceptable medium for disposal, but going by whats being stated, am I right in assuming that these other various

'bio-fluids' do the same?

If thats the case, then I'll change as well, 'cos the blue/pink stuff ain't the sweetest pong going hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by PennyandDerek Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:06 pm

Shelldrake,
I use cheapo bio laundry liquid but, like all other variants it does require agitation to be really effective.
I wonder if you are on-site and therefore static?
Increasing the amount of pre-charge may help as you may have................
..........errrrr................
solids above the waterline!!

SORRY......

Derek
PennyandDerek
PennyandDerek
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES Lowline
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:08 pm

We ended up with bio washing liquid and found that all but the Tescos (which smelled worse than toilet blue or green and that famous product from Warrington - Persil ) worked better than the tablets.
IMO it breaks down solids better and it also keeps the inside of the cassette cleaner than the commercial chemical toilet additives do
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by PennyandDerek Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:56 pm

I agree Roger, that is our experience as well.

A good regime helps when emptying the cassette.
When possible, I always rinse with at least 2ltrs making sure that the cassette is turned every which way so that every surface is rinsed.
Same again after adding the precharge and bio liquid, so very internal surface gets 'treated'.

Derek
[--. ....- .-. -.-. -...]
PennyandDerek
PennyandDerek
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES Lowline
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:39 am

PennyandDerek wrote:I agree Roger, that is our experience as well.

A good regime helps when emptying the cassette.
When possible, I always rinse with at least 2ltrs making sure that the cassette is turned every which way so that every surface is rinsed.
Same again after adding the precharge and bio liquid, so very internal surface gets 'treated'.

Derek
[--. ....- .-. -.-. -...]

Derek,

I agree but try to make sure that you don't get too vigorous with the shaking and knock the float off the automatic vent in the process! wave

After rinsing I ignore the ordinary vent and depress the automatic vent to try and make sure that no toilet paper is stopping it working. up!

Then when I reinsert the cassette I also "shuggle" it a bit to encourage the weighted part of the vent to fall and open the vent.

If you are not familiar with the system, please check out the Thetford Automatic Vent Valve bit on the Factsheet Section to see what I am describing. look here look here

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by shelldrake Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:26 pm

Have had a reply from One Chem yesterday and they state that they had a problem with one batch. Trust me to buy one from that batch. Probably won't buy it again anyway
shelldrake
shelldrake

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:04 am

It wasnt one batch believe me, or if it was it was Very Large batches
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:55 pm

Shelldrake have you tried Elsan? We've been using this for several months now and have to say it is without doubt the best organic / formaldehyde free toilet fluid you can buy....

I had a run on the Fenwicks top and tail but if left more than a couple of days the odour could be strong and when emptying it wasn't always pleasant! But I've found the Elsan organic smells sweet all the time even at the emptying point... Very happy to continue using it as its that good.

http://www.elsan.co.uk/organic-toilet-fluid.aspx

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down