The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fiamma awning leg wall mounting brackets

+2
stevomar
CC
6 posters

Go down

Fiamma awning leg wall mounting brackets Empty Fiamma awning leg wall mounting brackets

Post by CC Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:14 pm

We have recently fitted a new T45i Fiamma awning to our Trident. Last season on a trip to the Isle of wight we were extremely unlucky to have lost the one fitted to the vehicle when we bought it, in a freak gust of wind, despite two of us trying to rescue it it just blew over the roof of our Trident as we helplessly clung on for our lives (since found out that we are not alone and this is quite common, so please be fore warned)

Anyway, our new awning which I fitted I decided not to fit the wall mounted leg brackets as I didn't really want to make any holes in the body work of our camper, obviously it's alot easier to slot the legs into these and secure it to the van than to have to fix the base of the legs down with pegs, so was wondering if anyone has fitted a pair of these? how secure do you find them if so?

The brackets are like these: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I was thinking I might be able to get away with sticking the brackets to the side of the camper with some Sikaflex (which I used on our new awning when I replaced the brackets and added an additional mount as well (used the proper bolts also not just the adhesive) the Sikaflex is amazing stuff, not sure if it would be strong enough to hold the brakets but if the awning mounts are anything to go by I think it could possibly do a pretty good job?

Another thought I've had is maybe to use double sided 3M adhesive tape but don't think this would hold as well as the Sikaflex would, or maybe I should just bite the bullet and scew the brackets on to the side of the camper? just hate the thought of making holes in her! undecided help!

CC

CC
CC

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Fiamma awning leg wall mounting brackets Empty Re: Fiamma awning leg wall mounting brackets

Post by stevomar Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:07 am

Hi CC

It's the first time I've seen these (and what a good idea) - Do the swinging feet on the bottom of your awning legs just fit in them ?

If I were you I'd bite the bullet and screw them in. If you used something like Sikoflex (as good as it is) when there was a strong wind and if they were ripped off the sikpflex could bring some of the surrounding paint work off with it.

I was once on a campsite in Knaresborough and the strong wind had blown a couple of caravan awnings away - Luckily we had folded our our Fiamma awning in for the noght - Felt so righteous

Cheers

Stevo

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : VW Trident

Back to top Go down

Fiamma awning leg wall mounting brackets Empty Re: Fiamma awning leg wall mounting brackets

Post by CC Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:05 pm

Hi Stevo

Yes the leg brackets came included with the awning but I never fitted them, tend to agree with what you say about sticking them, just reluctant to start scewing into the sides of the van :(
CC
CC

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:49 am

Yep know what you mean comet, dont think i could bring myself to making holes either, bit to permanent for my liking cheers!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:58 pm

I'm with steveomar - you're relying the paint to secure the brackets to the van.....................

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Clubman Anniversa
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:38 pm

I was advised by the fitter of the Fiamma awning that I had fitted,  NOT to use the leg brackets, as he has seen so much damaged caused by them.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:00 am

daisy mae wrote:I was advised by the fitter of the Fiamma awning that I had fitted,  NOT to use the leg brackets, as he has seen so much damaged caused by them.
I AGREE TOTALLY and was also advised by the fitter of an Omnistor to my last van NOT to use the brackets. When I bought my Lancashire A/S had fitted the awning but not the brackets.
Just imsgine the pull that the leg will exert on the bracket even in a gentle gust of wind! It would be enough to pull out the screws or to damage the paint or gel coat if you had used Sikaflex - not to mention collateral dsmage from the loose leg and flailing awning.
When I pitch the awning I peg the legs down with the stout pegs supplied and have seen them pulled up in a gust. How much quicker will a couple of self tapping screws give way?
PLEASE don't even think of fitting them.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:20 am

I am pleased this has come up, I have a Gazebo on my patio at home as shade and cover for the dogs, is has been up for 18 months now and has never moved or blown about and we have had some very bad storms the reason,  I used those leg weights ,the  plastic ones that that come in two halves, wrap around the gazebo legs and you fill with sand or water, then they screw together, they are heavy when filled, light when not and don`t take up much room.I also used lines one from each corner.

I was thinking about trying them on the legs of the Fiamma Awning, although I did use the storm kit and lines on my awning and it stood up to wind, but was concerned it could go over the top if it got any rougher, and cause upteen damage to the MH

Hence has any one used these leg weights, they would fit round the legs and the legs cannot pull upwards so will be secure. after all to me an awning when it is wet and windy is when you need it.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by RML Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:25 pm

Having seen these on large vans IMO, if the brackets are correctly mounted with spacer tubes, through bolts, and an internal back plate to spread the load the ones I have seen appear to be ok. I don't yet have them but they're on my list when I can be bothered to get to the correct spot inside of the van to locate the plates.
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:45 pm

With the brackets on the van wall, the fitter  said that putting the legs in is not easy and has seen the damaged caused to the sides of the MH when putting in the legs and taking them out.I have the wall brackets but would never use them

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:03 pm

I use them only on calm days.  Never had a problem with fitting them into the brackets and if it does get a bit gusty I just wind the Omnistor into the van sides. I never leave the canopy out overnight

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Clubman Anniversa
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down