The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Truma Ultrastore Water Heater - Frost Protect

+3
breakaleg
murph
Wearsider
7 posters

Go down

Truma Ultrastore Water Heater - Frost Protect Empty Truma Ultrastore Water Heater - Frost Protect

Post by Wearsider Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:48 am

In the above connection with the relevant page of my AutoSleepers guide reads as follows:-

"Note: if just the cold water system is being used, without the water heater, the heater tank is also filled up with water. In order to avoid damage through frost, the water contents must be drained by actuating the safety/drain valve and also when the heater has not been used. As an alternative, a shut-off value can be installed upstream of the cold and hot water connection (your AutoSleepers dealer will advise on this).

My question is if the cold water system is to be used in winter and the water heater is to be drained using the safety/drain valve does a shut-off valve also need to be installed bearing in mind it is referred to above "as an alternative".
Wearsider

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Truma Ultrastore Water Heater - Frost Protect Empty Drain valve

Post by murph Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:06 am

Hi Wearsider,
Ours has a drain valve fitted in the pipework between the tank and the pump to drain the heater, but this means you can not drain the heater without draining the whole system. As the heater is mounted inside the van even if it is full it shouldn't freeze if the van is in use as even if the space heating is off (unlikely,) the occupants body heat should be enough to prevent freezing except under very extreme conditions, and British built vans are not normally insulated to cope with alpine conditions.

Brian2
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Truma Ultrastore Water Heater - Frost Protect Empty Re: Truma Ultrastore Water Heater - Frost Protect

Post by breakaleg Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:54 am

Hi If I am using the van when it is freezing, just before hitting the sack, I turn the water heater on until it is fully heated, this stays hot all night, if not using the drain it fully.
Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo Ek
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Truma Ultrastore Water Heater - Frost Protect Empty Re: Truma Ultrastore Water Heater - Frost Protect

Post by Dutto Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:18 pm

breakaleg wrote:Hi If I am using the van when it is freezing, just before hitting the sack, I turn the water heater on until it is fully heated, this stays hot all night, if not using the drain it fully.
Pete

Oh dear, another person who hasn't heard of "The Mbemba Effect"!! wave wave

Please read the following:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] look here

Another weird thing to do that actually works is, if you are going out into a cold environment without gloves on, it helps to wet your hands with cold water before you set out! up!

Enjoy. tap_fingers

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian (aka "mine of useless information"!)

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Wearsider Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:22 pm

All the responses above to my original posting are interesting and informative but none contain a definitive answer to the question that I posed which was:-

My question is if the cold water system is to be used in winter and the water heater is to be drained using the safety/drain valve does a shut-off valve also need to be installed bearing in mind it is referred to above "as an alternative".
Wearsider

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:50 pm

Wearsider wrote:All the responses above to my original posting are interesting and informative but none contain a definitive answer to the question that I posed which was:-

Yes
rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:50 pm

Does every one else have a lagging kit or insulation jacket around their Truma Ultrastore water heater? I presume these are fitted by Auto-Sleepers when new? but could someone confirm as I would like to obtain a replacement as ours has tear in it which I've temporarily fixed with some gaffer tape until I can obtain another.

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:09 pm

CruizingComet wrote:Does every one else have a lagging kit or insulation jacket around their Truma Ultrastore water heater? I presume these are fitted by Auto-Sleepers when new? but could someone confirm as I would like to obtain a replacement as ours has tear in it which I've temporarily fixed with some gaffer tape until I can obtain another.

No, not on our 2002 Pollensa. As the water heater is installed under the rear facing bench seat, which becomes the bottom half of my bed, it keeps my tootsies warm at night so no problem. agree3
rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:56 pm

rogerblack wrote:
CruizingComet wrote:Does every one else have a lagging kit or insulation jacket around their Truma Ultrastore water heater? I presume these are fitted by Auto-Sleepers when new? but could someone confirm as I would like to obtain a replacement as ours has tear in it which I've temporarily fixed with some gaffer tape until I can obtain another.

No, not on our 2002 Pollensa. As the water heater is installed under the rear facing bench seat, which becomes the bottom half of my bed, it keeps my tootsies warm at night so no problem. agree3

Thanks for the reply....

Can anyone else confirm if they have lagging of any kind around their water heater?
Should be a fairly easy question to answer for most of you surely shrugg Yes..?? No..?? scratch head

CC

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:09 am

Hi CC
None around mine. Again located under rear bench seat. If we heat up on EHU for approx an hour prior to leaving site it stays pretty warm till end of day.
John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:15 am

CruizingComet wrote:
rogerblack wrote:

Thanks for the reply....

Can anyone else confirm if they have lagging of any kind around their water heater?
Should be a fairly easy question to answer for most of you surely shrugg Yes..?? No..?? scratch head

Yes mine is lagged, I have small bubble air-cap around the leisure battery too up!
Boaby

CC
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:44 pm

[quote="Dutto"]
breakaleg wrote:Hi If I am using the van when it is freezing, just before hitting the sack, I turn the water heater on until it is fully heated, this stays hot all night, if not using the drain it fully.
Pete

Oh dear, another person who hasn't heard of "The Mbemba Effect"!! wave wave

Hi Dutto,
Seems I have been doing it wrong for the last 30 years then?
Good frost sunday morning, no water heater problems though, must be lucky
Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo Ek
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:47 pm

burlingtonboaby wrote:Yes mine is lagged, I have small bubble air-cap around the leisure battery too up!
Boaby

Thanks Boaby...

I was beginning to think I was the only one hugegrins
It had crossed my mind that the previous owner had fitted it, and was concerned that it might somehow get overheated if left on for long periods.
Seems to do it's job as water is still pretty hot the next morning when switched off during the evening.

Thanks Hoopman for your reply as well up!

CC

Male

Back to top Go down